Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rickon?

Default Rickon?

I just started playing a Stark campaign, and noticed that when Rickon came of age and popped into the game, he didn't have his wolf like Robb and Bran did. Anyway to change that?

Default Re: Rickon?

No, I don't think there's a way to give ancillaries to underage characters.

Maybe there's some way to incorporate a trait called 'Youngest son of Eddard Stark' which could then link to a scripted event in which a 'Shaggydog' ancillary gets added to him after he turns 14?

Quote Originally Posted by peanut8 View Post
    Maybe there's some way to incorporate a trait called 'Youngest son of Eddard Stark' which could then link to a scripted event in which a 'Shaggydog' ancillary gets added to him after he turns 14?
    Neat plan! The main problem is that there is no easy way to give anything to underage characters, whether ancillaries or traits. There might be the possibility to script something that all sons of Ned Stark (as listed in the family relations section of descr_strat) get a wolf when coming of age. But that would probably make Robb and Bran lose their named wolves...

In that case, is there no way to reserve an ancillary for a certain character?

maybe in the discription for the ancillary it can say, "Robb's wolf is named Greywind, Bran's is Summer, and Rickon's is called Shaggydog.

In that case, is there no way to reserve an ancillary for a certain character?
    Not as far as I know and not for an underage character by fumbling around with descr_strat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsay View Post
    maybe in the discription for the ancillary it can say, "Robb's wolf is named Greywind, Bran's is Summer, and Rickon's is called Shaggydog.
    Sure, but then all of their descriptions would feature this text. And if you make the ancillaries transferable, Robb's wolf could end up with one of his bannermen or relatives.

Hm, this is quite a tricky issue. Maybe you could fumble around with the ancillary's script so that it has the simple command of 'Goes to Rickon', just like how a lordship goes to the lord who's been in the castle for a turn in the mod. You could even make 'Rickon' a unique name, so that matters don't get complicated any further.

Hm, this is quite a tricky issue. Maybe you could fumble around with the ancillary's script so that it has the simple command of 'Goes to Rickon', just like how a lordship goes to the lord who's been in the castle for a turn in the mod. You could even make 'Rickon' a unique name, so that matters don't get complicated any further.
    That might work; but that's far above my modding abilities...
    I don't think making some names unique is a good idea, though.

History_Buff's Avatar Civis

making unique names is a good idea because that would allow you to create female generals, which I believe should be in the mod and is a very smart way to deal with certain characters whose names where not all that common

Quote Originally Posted by History_Buff View Post
    create female generals, which I believe should be in the mod
    Dany, Dany, I hear you comin'...

Quote Originally Posted by History_Buff View Post
    making unique names is a good idea because that would allow you to create female generals, which I believe should be in the mod and is a very smart way to deal with certain characters whose names where not all that common
    I'll have to disagree with you there. Besides Dany and the Mormont ladies, there are no female generals in Westeros. Yeah, there's some Wildling ones, but the Wildlings might not even get incorporated. So in the end, having more female generals than the Mormont ones would just end up being kind of weird, because it wouldn't really be going along with the feel of ASoIaF.

And I was just talking about making the name 'Rickon' unique. I know it's kind of common, but maybe it would be worth the sacrifice?

History_Buff's Avatar Civis

You seem to be forgetting Asha Greyjoy and the Sand Snakes (or at least Obara) they were all warriors and should definitely be included

Wanting to see them as much as we all want, female generals are very, very hard, almost impossible to implement scriptwise. IIRC, the RTW mod Amazon:TW had female generals for the Amazon faction, but there all generals were females, opposed to Westeros' mixed generals' sexes.

Instead of having the wolves be ancillaries, could you make them units included in the Starks bodyguards? So, when Rickon comes of age and becomes a general, have it programmed he gets 1 Shaggydog unit? This way you can have the wolves fight in battles, reminiscant of Grey Wind, but you risk them being overwhelmed and killed. You could make them excellent against foot soldiers and infantry, but weak against cavalry. And maybe(if it's possible) program it so if Robb, Bran, or Rickon dies but the wolf doesn't, the wolf goes wild and kills anybody before running off? So, in addition to making sure the wolf doesn't die in combat, you have to protect Robb, Bran, and Rickon on the chance that they die and the wolf goes mad?

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Daenerys View Post
    Instead of having the wolves be ancillaries, could you make them units included in the Starks bodyguards? So, when Rickon comes of age and becomes a general, have it programmed he gets 1 Shaggydog unit? This way you can have the wolves fight in battles, reminiscant of Grey Wind, but you risk them being overwhelmed and killed. You could make them excellent against foot soldiers and infantry, but weak against cavalry. And maybe(if it's possible) program it so if Robb, Bran, or Rickon dies but the wolf doesn't, the wolf goes wild and kills anybody before running off? So, in addition to making sure the wolf doesn't die in combat, you have to protect Robb, Bran, and Rickon on the chance that they die and the wolf goes mad?

Just a thought.
    Sounds pretty cool, but... very hard to implement.

Probably not going to be implemented sadly, it's a good idea but we're already stalling on development time (and the team tends to go AWOL at inopportune moments).

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

Double A's Avatar person man

Maybe you could add Shaggydog as a transferable ancillary to Bran so you can give it to Rickon when he gets old enough?
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

That's probably as near as you can get to getting Shaggydog in the game. Good idea, Double A!
    +rep

Double A's Avatar person man

Hey thanks man!

And for Sansa "Dead wolf. -20 charm, Decreased chance of having children, increased chance of suicide"
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast