Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug reports for new RC/RR compilation

Default Re: Bug reports for new RC/RR compilation

Quote Originally Posted by Enomine View Post
    My game was suffering from the save game corrupting CTD bug that many other people are suffering from. What I did was edit all the lines with "siege_settlement" in them (in the campaign_script) file out with a ";". I have not had a single ctd problem since, and what's more is that I still get the Bulgarian uprising, the Teutonic emergence, mongols, you name it. No problems at all once the siege_settlement scripts were disabled.
    in what way did you edit them? I about to start a late era campaign as England , that campaign doesn't have a campaign_script but a custom_script file instead, which i think is the same thing, how did you disable them (i know putting a ; in front will do it but i don't know where exactly to place them)
    Balbor

Former Creative Director
    Former Head Unit Modeller and Texture
    Fourth Age:Total War

Hi.

I've been playing a h/vh early Venice campaign until turn 30-40 (can't remember exactly) but since then every time I try to load a save game I get a black screen that goes to desktop after I hit esc.

I've been using the latest RC/RR without BGR. When I noticed the problem I still had an old quick save that loaded fine so, thinking it was random save corruption, last time I exited I made 4 different saves hoping one would work (quick, auto, and 2 "custom" ones) but all 4 result in the same type of ctd.

The only personal changes I made are as described in my "Venice thread" here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=321026 (I figured it out eventually)

They involved modyifing the EDU, EDB and battle_models.modeldb files and my game worked fine for many turns with those changes.

The only thread that describes the same save game related problem (that I found) is this one: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...t=black+screen Very old as you see.

Hesus says,
    got the problem fixt i add the removal for the supply traits that whas the thing that messed up the game
    ,but I can't understand what he means exactly. I tried reinstalling SS 6.0, the 6.1 patch and RC/RR but this time I ticked the option to remove the supply traits when I installed the 6.1 patch (a possible interpretation of what Hesus said). However the problem persists.

Does the removal of supply traits via patch only affect BGR? Do I still have to somehow remove those "basic" supply traits of SS? I don't even know for sure if this is RC/RR related.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that my Venice campaign is lost but I was having great fun with it and this has pissed me off to no end so if anyone has any idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Balbor View Post
    in what way did you edit them? I about to start a late era campaign as England , that campaign doesn't have a campaign_script but a custom_script file instead, which i think is the same thing, how did you disable them (i know putting a ; in front will do it but i don't know where exactly to place them)
    I only play early era campaign so I'm not sure if the process would be the same for any other campaigns (I too would assume that it is though). What I did was open the file, press ctrl-f to bring up the search box, and then search for every instance of "siege_settlement". When I found one I just placed a " ; " at the very beginning of the line that contained siege_settlment. I repeated that process for every offending line (there were around 20 or so I think) and that solved the save corrupting ctds for me. I could upload my campaign_script file for you if you want to try it for the early campaign without bothering with the editing yourself.

edit: I should also say that making the above changes has not had any detrimental effects on gameplay for me, Bulgarians rebels, Teutonics, ect still siege things when the spawn. I think they just do it according to the game's AI rather than based on a script.
    Last edited by Enomine; January 01, 2010 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Hi.

I've been playing a h/vh early Venice campaign until turn 30-40 (can't remember exactly) but since then every time I try to load a save game I get a black screen that goes to desktop after I hit esc.

I've been using the latest RC/RR without BGR. When I noticed the problem I still had an old quick save that loaded fine so, thinking it was random save corruption, last time I exited I made 4 different saves hoping one would work (quick, auto, and 2 "custom" ones) but all 4 result in the same type of ctd.

The only personal changes I made are as described in my "Venice thread" here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=321026 (I figured it out eventually)

They involved modyifing the EDU, EDB and battle_models.modeldb files and my game worked fine for many turns with those changes.

The only thread that describes the same save game related problem (that I found) is this one: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...t=black+screen Very old as you see.

Hesus says,
    ,but I can't understand what he means exactly. I tried reinstalling SS 6.0, the 6.1 patch and RC/RR but this time I ticked the option to remove the supply traits when I installed the 6.1 patch (a possible interpretation of what Hesus said). However the problem persists.

Does the removal of supply traits via patch only affect BGR? Do I still have to somehow remove those "basic" supply traits of SS? I don't even know for sure if this is RC/RR related.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that my Venice campaign is lost but I was having great fun with it and this has pissed me off to no end so if anyone has any idea...
    Sound's a lot like the save game corrupting CTDs that are being caused by the siege settlement scripts for some people, have you tried doing what I suggested in the post above? It solved the problem for me, but the save games it affected beforehand do, unfortunately, remain borked.

Graeme's Avatar Tiro

Icon14 Re: Bug reports for new RC/RR compilation

Good man.

Ive played this mod in the past and enjoyed it but since I got my pc upgraded for christmas, Ive been holding off playing it until a fix or at least a test fix was in place. Ill re-install and try this fix out and see how it goes.

Sound's a lot like the save game corrupting CTDs that are being caused by the siege settlement scripts for some people, have you tried doing what I suggested in the post above? It solved the problem for me, but the save games it affected beforehand do, unfortunately, remain borked.
    I've done it and it hasn't caused me a ctd but since my Venice saves are still screwed I have no way of telling if it actually works. A guy in the "what version you're running..." thread reported a similar (well pretty much the same) problem: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...45#post6527045

Says his saves begin failing around the year 1180 which should be about right iirc. Maybe the problem exists only in the early campaign then. I really hope this is some specific issue that can be fixed.

I'm playing a Byzantium campaign now with the changes you proposed. Will see what happens. I'll try not to put all my saves in the same basket this time.

I only play early era campaign so I'm not sure if the process would be the same for any other campaigns (I too would assume that it is though). What I did was open the file, press ctrl-f to bring up the search box, and then search for every instance of "siege_settlement". When I found one I just placed a " ; " at the very beginning of the line that contained siege_settlment. I repeated that process for every offending line (there were around 20 or so I think) and that solved the save corrupting ctds for me. I could upload my campaign_script file for you if you want to try it for the early campaign without bothering with the editing yourself.

edit: I should also say that making the above changes has not had any detrimental effects on gameplay for me, Bulgarians rebels, Teutonics, ect still siege things when the spawn. I think they just do it according to the game's AI rather than based on a script.
    i don't need to restart a campaign if i'm editing scripts right?
    Balbor

Former Creative Director

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

i don't need to restart a campaign if i'm editing scripts right?
    Yes you do. Changes to the campaign script aren't savegame compatible.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    Yes you do. Changes to the campaign script aren't savegame compatible.
    Goddammit. I started the Byz campaign before making the changes. Though it loaded fine so I guess that in this case save game incompatibility manifests itself in the campaign simply going by the old script configuration without taking the changes into account.

Though my sanity teeters on the edge I think I'll start a new Venice campaign then. But this time I'll do it right.

Enomine, would you please upload your campaign_script. I'd really like to be "sure" this time and I'm growing increasingly paranoid.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; January 01, 2010 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Goddammit. I started the Byz campaign before making the changes. Though it loaded fine so I guess that in this case save game incompatibility manifests itself in the campaign simply going by the old script configuration without taking the changes into account.
    That is correct. When you start a new campaign, the script is loaded and becomes integrated into that campaign. When you save the game, the script is included in the savegame file. That script is what is loaded when you load the saved game and not from the campaign_script.txt (or any changes made since).

Yeah, I though as much but thanks for the clarification.

Default Error loading saved games.

Whenever i attempt to load my Turkish or English games screen goes completely black and i need to alt f4 out of the game. Running 6.1 RR/RC Compilation. Anyone else having this issue?

Default Re: Error loading saved games.

There is a thread for RR/RC bugs. Merged

whenever I try and start a late era campaign it brings me back one screen

These irritating crashes are caused by the siege_settlement command. When I get around to it (hopefully soon) I'm going to use some code that gracul wrote to completely re-do the siege code.

well if i have to start a new campaign does anyone have the co-ordinates for Cork and Galway so i can add proper garrisons to them?
    Balbor

Former Creative Director

well if i have to start a new campaign does anyone have the co-ordinates for Cork and Galway so i can add proper garrisons to them?
    Actually I do. I edited their garrisons yesterday . Galway: x 9, y 230, Cork x 13, y 218.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

You can use garrisoned_army in the descr_strat -
    just find galway and cork and add units to taste.
    here's my version:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

settlement
    {
    level town
    region Galway_Province

year_founded 0
    population 1000
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator england
    garrisoned_army
    unit Peasant Archers exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Spear Militia exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    building
    {
    type core_building wooden_pallisade
    }
    building
    {
    type barracks town_guard
    }
    building
    {
    type hinterland_roads roads
    }
    }

settlement
    {
    level town
    region Munster_Province

year_founded 0
    population 1000
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator england
    garrisoned_army
    building
    {
    }
    building
    {
    type barracks town_watch
    }
    building
    {
    }
    }

PS that's from my all town no castle version btw.

Can someone please tell me why the screen goes back one and the "start" button says "next" when I try and play a late campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    You can use garrisoned_army in the descr_strat -
    just find galway and cork and add units to taste.
    here's my version:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

settlement
    {
    level town
    region Galway_Province

year_founded 0
    population 1000
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator england
    garrisoned_army
    building
    {
    }
    building
    {
    type barracks town_guard
    }
    building
    {
    }
    }

settlement
    {
    level town
    region Munster_Province

year_founded 0
    population 1000
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator england
    garrisoned_army
    building
    {
    }
    building
    {
    type barracks town_watch
    }
    building
    {
    }
    }

PS that's from my all town no castle version btw.
    Holy crap Rozanov! You just blew my mind! I had no idea you could do that to set up starting garrisons!