Thread: 3D Audio fails to initiate

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

Default 3D Audio fails to initiate

I know that makes little sense, but the error message is literally "Failed to initialise 3D Audio" no idea what to do, and the unistall program also appears to be buggered. On Vista, by the way, is there anything I can do about this? It has me most worried.
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Re: 3D Audio fails to initiate

What sound card do you have? A little 'techincal information' would be help - after all this is a 'technical help' thread.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

thank you, kind mr Brusilov; my sound card is (I think... found it in the control panel) an Nvidia HDMI audio.....something, probably the sound card. Point is it worked absolutely fine before; then I tried to unistall Rome Gold edition, that screwed things up so I did a system restore, found the Alexander unistall program and, lo and behold, it won't work, and the 3D Audio fails to initialise as well, so I can't even play the game now.

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

It may be easier if you run a dxdiag and attach it. The name of the card may be in the sound1 or sound2 tabs. I think what you may be referring to is a graphics card with an HDMI output. That may not allow 3d audio.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

the device mentioned is listed as sound hardware, but is also apparently not plugged in

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

To play this game, you need a sound card or onboard chip, and it's enabled, and your speakers/headphones are plugged in and enabled to where you can hear it. That is one of the requesites of this game. If you don't you're not playing.

Keep one thing in mind, once you do make sure you have all this and you still get the same error message, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the game so the game can find its drivers.

yet the unistall is broked, I have a conundrum

There are ways and in Vista, a couple of more steps to do it manually.

1 Delete the Activision folder in Program Files and in the Virtual Store.
    2.Run a registry cleaner. Many good free ones out there if you don't have one.
    3.Make sure everything is hooked up and enabled concerning your sound system.
    4.Reboot.
    5.Install the game.

Good luck.

Maybe I should open another thread for this question but it is very similar so:

If my soundcard drivers aren't installed, can I still play Rome TW?

i.e. play but with no sound, I'm making a mod and sounds aren't important at this point. Problem is I have an obscure brand of laptop and have lost the drivers disk(searched online for a long time, no avail). Managed to get the video drivers from the previous install, but the utility I used to get the video drivers couldn't get the sound drivers...

Quote Originally Posted by hocca View Post
    Maybe I should open another thread for this question but it is very similar so:

If my soundcard drivers aren't installed, can I still play Rome TW?

i.e. play but with no sound, I'm making a mod and sounds aren't important at this point. Problem is I have an obscure brand of laptop and have lost the drivers disk(searched online for a long time, no avail). Managed to get the video drivers from the previous install, but the utility I used to get the video drivers couldn't get the sound drivers...
    No. The game is coded to look for sound and if there is none, it is coded not to play. CA's programmers wrote it that way and you can'd endrun it.

Thanks for the info Irishron.