Page 1 of 61 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: TECHNICAL HELP & REPORTS THREAD [Bug Reports, Installation Problems, CTDs, etc...]

Default TECHNICAL HELP & REPORTS THREAD [Bug Reports, Installation Problems, CTDs, etc...]

In order to reduce unnecessary threads in our Forum, we're starting this technical help thread.

If you have trouble with running the mod, here (and only here) is the place to post.

Basic Troubleshooting

My game is crashing when I try to start it, right before the intro-videos
    In 95% of cases, this is caused by the user.empire_script.txt refering to files that are not in your data folder. Check its contents and make sure all files mentionned there are in your data folder.
    Since patch 1.5, this can also be caused by an old Localisation. Make sure you have the latest patch_is_text.pack file and no other localisation files!

You can find the user.empire_script.txt file here in The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts found in

Windows Vista
    Code:
     C:\Users\(Your User Name Here)\AppData\Roaming\
    Windows XP
    Code:
     C:\Documents and Settings\(Your User Name Here)\Application Data\
    Windows 8
    Code:
    C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

Attention:
    Mod Manager edits that file when it is running. Do not use it if you get such a crash.

How do I know if Imperial Splendour loads?
    We added a Imperial Splendour logo in the main menu to easily make sure.

My units all have no names, what can I do?
    The unit names are contained in the patch_is_text.pack file. First make sure it is in the data directory.
    The other problem is that it is a movie type file. If you have another movie type file it may not work. So you should remove all other movie type files from your data directory. (the patch_artillerymod_text.pack is one of those)
    This can be other mods and will be other mods localisations. It is quite sad that CA has not come up with a better concept yet.
    Last edited by PikeStance; April 07, 2014 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Updated information and Title

Default Re: Imperial Splendour Technical Help

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian17 View Post
    Hi, I am having the same problem as described in the first post. The game crashes just before the intro videos. My Script reads:

mod "Imperial Splendour DB.pack";
    mod "Imperial Splendour Media.pack";

There are three files in my data folder: Imperial Splendour DB.pack, Imperial Splendour Media.pack, and patch_is_text.pack

I wrote the patch_is_text.pack file into the script and still no luck. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is so I would appreciate any help help I can get. I'll keep looking to see if I can figure it out myself.
    Is your startpos & scripting file in the right directory ?

My directory : C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\imperial_splendour

Default Re: Imperial Splendour Technical Help

Quote Originally Posted by Gallia View Post
    Hi guys,

I tried installing IS today. Before that I had a clean vanilla 1.5 install. I removed the startpos.esf and the scripting.lua file before the transfer from the .zip to my main folder, and re-added them later. I directly extracted the user.empire_script.txt into the appdata/TCA/Empire/scripts and did not modify it. When I tried to use the patch installer it claimed it could not find the original version. I extracted the data nontheless. After realising I get a whitescreen CTD right after the disclaimer and before the intro cutscenes I started over and repeated the entire installation process from square one. This time without the patch. Again I CTD with a white screen at earlier mentioned point. Any suggestions?
    The installer deletes the old files of IS and when it can't find a file it gives the ("can't find previous version" error) .. so I'm guessing it found some files and removed those, couldn't find the next and gave you an error.

The files it has removed will stay removed, so I advice you to check if all files are in place
    data folder : imperial splendour DB.pack & patch_is_text.pack & Imperial Splendour Media.pack
    campaign/imperial_splendour folder : startpos.esf, regions.esf & scripting.lua
    Last edited by Lazy Knight; February 12, 2010 at 04:38 AM.

Default Re: Bug Reports & Technical help

I don´t get it, is empire suposed to get installed by steam? Is that the way to bring Empire to steam/common/steamapps?

How do you get it to that folder in steam?

If you install it via steam the folder structure should be there automatically. If you own the game, you won't get around installing it that way.

Can I move/copy the whole game manually from programx86/empire to steam/common/steamapps?

(I don´t how to install it to steam. My Left for dead 2 game got there automaticcly Empire didn´t)

Thanks for the answers hopefully I´ll get this working

Civis

I'm playing the latest version of IS II and have found that none of the units from the DLC are playable in the grand campaigns except for the Special forces DLC. But my EUW and EUA DLC units can't be found. They are available in the custom battles. Also, why are there more unit options in geberal in the custom battles. I can have 24lb rockets in custom but not in the campaign, and I think some units from the AUM IS mod are missing as well. Is this normal stuff? And how would I get them in the game? I mean, would it be as easy as just adding a line or two to a file with the DBE? Or would they have to be added in from the ground up.

Okay, your questions:
    We have not added most DLC units. We have added so many units that adding some extra for some players feels wrong to us. We don't sell units. Everyone gets every unit we feel he should have, no matter what CA thinks about that topic.

I don't understand the second question. There are more units, so more options for you?

We have made so many artillery units, that we cannot, and don't want to actually, include them all in the campaign. It is unnecessarily confusing.

AUM units are not my business, Swiss halbedier coded them in and I don't know what he did. However adding a unit is not hard with DBE.

Civis

[QUOTE=Lazy Knight;7977455]Okay, your questions:

We have made so many artillery units, that we cannot, and don't want to actually, include them all in the campaign. It is unnecessarily confusing.
    [QUOTE]
    Well that makes sense. I only use a few arty anyway I was just wondering. Well I guess I'll just add in the DLC units I want to use myself, as you said thats not hard. I just didn't know if they were supposed to be included and there was a problem with that or not. Thank you for the info.

It perfectly works now, thank Lazy Knight who had the patience to explain me how to correctly install it! =)
    Anyway, there's something wrong with both terrestrian and naval battles audio: I can't hear neither cannons nor rifles bang when shooting, nor do soldiers shout when charging. I must also mention that swords and bayonets make no noise in melee fights, and I can't actually remember wether I can hear men and horses march or not. So, something's definitely wrong with battles audio: I can only hear the music, the sound when I order an attack, and my units' answers to my orders...! Pretty annoying, has anyone ever encountered the same problem? =(

I'm pretty sure sound is not in any way altered by our mod. Make sure your settings are ok. You're the first I see with this problem

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Okay I'm having some trouble with the install here and I'm nearing the end of my rope with this thing.

-I'm using Windows 7, UAC is at the lowest possible setting.
    -I have successfully verified my game cache.
    -I have Vanilla Empire with the 1.6 patch, no DLC.
    -7Zip would not let me extract the files to their proper locations so I decided to move them manually.
    -I placed "Imperial Splendour DB" "Imperial Splendour Media" and "patch_is_text" in C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data as per your instructions.
    -I moved the Imperial Splendour folder to the campaigns folder to C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\
    -I moved the "User.Empire-script" to C:\Documents and Settings\(Your User Name Here)\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

This all seems correct to me but my game CTDs at the loading screen. What am I doing wrong?

I assume, because you said you're running vanilla Empire 1.6, that you don't have any other mods installed.

Which means, if you're crashing at the load screen, that the game is trying to load the mod but can't, for some reason.

So your script file is probably in the correct location, as it's calling the mod.

I would re-verify that you have those 3 files (Imperial Splendour DB, Imperial Splendour Media, and patch_is_text) in your data folder, in your installation directory. The data folder should contain other files as well, such as main.pack, and patch.pack (along with patch2 through patch4 or 5.pack). If it doesn't contain those other files, then that location isn't your install directory.

Otherwise, the only thing I can think is that you have a corrupted file somehow, which doesn't make sense if you were able to un-zip them.

I don't know. I'm stumped. Maybe LK can sort it out. He's good at that sort of thing.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

You may have solved my problem, give me a second.

EDIT: Thanks a bunch man, +rep for you.
    Last edited by hippacrocafish; September 05, 2010 at 05:21 PM.

You posted the path for XP, not the windows vista/7 path for the script file. I guess that was your problem.

...just to show I'm payin' attention!

TheGeat's Avatar Miles

Hi! Is annyone else having problems with extrcting the Media-file from 2.1 pack? I keep getting this message saying that the file is damaged, i've also tried downloading from different mirrors. Thx
    Last edited by TheGeat; September 12, 2010 at 10:40 AM.

your download was corrupted. Redownload and it should work. You can try the new strategyinformer mirror too.

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

I just now discovered to my great dismay that when mounted dragoons fire their carbines, the game crashes. They were those Polish guys, the "Lazda Lymowe" or what they're called.
    Playing IS 2.1.3, btw.
    Last edited by ErikBerg; September 13, 2010 at 01:19 PM.

thanks for the information. IS 2.1.4 has not fixed this.

I downloaded and 7-zipped the main data folder to the directory's data folder (in addition to what is already in the vanilla data folder), but nothing has changed in the game. Not even a screen change. How can this be fixed?

Thanks for helping a total klutz like myself.

Page 1 of 61 12345678910112651 ... LastLast