Thread: Comitatenes recruitment?!!

Default Comitatenes recruitment?!!

Hi all well i have some questions to the Comitatenses and to the recruitment of the Palatini.
    I have noticed that the Comitatenses (i mean the heavy infrantrie) have different shields and are of different origin, like GB, Gaul...for first: is it possible to get a list with all shields and the units origin?!
    Well and i have seen that most Comitatendes have a orange shield with a orange moon across on it...
    I m right, if i think that they come from nothern africa or the eastern Empire?! If yes why there are so much of them in the north?! And in italy?!
    Well my 2. question is, there are so much different Palatini units that are the same but have also different shields and names...why? Its a bit Confusing espesially because you cant get them together to 1 unit if you got big loses of soldiers...
    Then i have read about the Palatini that they were a palast guard to protect the Kaiser...and they where not too much, they where a small elite...well so why i can recruit them in lots of Citys and not only in important citys like Rome or Constantinople. And why there are so much different Palatini units?! There exists heavy infrantrie, Spearman, Rider, Archer and Skirmishers...i dont really think that they had archers and skirmishers...
    And for last where is the differents between normal barracks and Elite barracks for palatine...i mean i have one town where i can only get normal untis and another where i can get only palatini, but i cant build a second barrack for palatini or normal units...

Gruß Georg

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: Comitatenes recruitment?!!

The idea behind having different palatinae and comitatensis units is to give variety and flavour to the empire. Here are the names and the areas that they can be recruited in:

Here's a list where all comitatensis and palatinae legios and palatinae auxila can be recruited:

Legio Palatinae: Herculianii Seniores - Arleate
    Legio Palatinae: Joviani Seniores - Arleate

Legio Palatinae: Herculiani Juniores - Sirmium
    Legio Palatinae: Jovianii Juniores - Sirmium

Legio Palatinae: Lanciarii Seniores - Antioch
    Legio Palatinae: Armatus Invicti Iulianus - Antioch

Auxilia Palatinae: Cornuti Seniores - Mediolanium
    Auxilia Palatinae: Brachiati Seniores - Mediolanium

Auxilia Palatinae: Celtae Seniores - Constantinople
    Auxilia Palatinae: Petulantes Seniores - Constantinople

Auxilia Palatinae: Leones Iuniores – Augusta Treverorum
    Auxilia Palatinae: Mattiaci Seniores - Augusta Treverorum

Auxilia Palatinae: Mauri Seniores - Carthage
    Auxilia Palatinae: Mauri Iuniores - Carthage

Legio Comitatensis: Britones Seniores – Londinium

Legio Comitatenses: Marcommani Seniores - Argentoratum
    Legio Comitatenses: Lanciarii Gallicani Honoriani – Argentoratum

Legio Comitatensis: Tertia Iulia Alpina - Singidum

Legio Comitatenses: Secunda Flavia Virtutis - Carthage

Legio Comitatensis: Secunda Flavia Constantia Thebaeorum - Damascus
    Legio Comitatenses: Quinta Macedonica - Damascus

Legio Comitatenses: Fectienses Seniores - Alexandria

Legio Comitatenses: Victores – Caesarea (Asia Minor)

Legio Comitatenses: Quartodecimani – Nova Carthago

Psuedocomitatnesis: Armenia Primae - Amida
    Psuedocomitatnesis: Armenia Secundae - Amida

Also, units did contain a proportion of light troops such as skirmishers and archers which is why you can recruit palatinae/comitatensis lanciarii and sagitarii.

Cheers

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Is it possible to do the following:
    Have comitatenes retrainable in any city that can recruit any kind of Comitatenses, same for Palatinae (Both Auxillia and Legio) and Domescii. I don't mean recruitable, just be able to have their numbers replenished.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Ty for the list...but i meant smth different. Well but now i got it on my own...my main point is that the most Comitatenses(heavy infrantrie) are recruited out of germanic tribes...well for example in Alexandria. My question is what do germanic forces in Alexandria?! The Germans had big problems with heat...i dont think that they would have been stationed there. Why there are no arabic Comitatenses there?! Thats my main critic. I find the mod is really nice and for a game it has very much realism but this is smth that dont really leave me allone...also the Palatini. I have read in the german wikipedia that they where for the whole empite 12x500 Palatini units...thats why i dont like the fact in the mod that you can recruit them in too much citys and that u have lot of them to begin of the game...thats my only critic.
    The rest of the mod is really great and fantastic i really enjoy it and like the game play etc.

Gruß Georg

Hi Georg, there are some more historical information here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106375

Welcome to the forum, glad you are trying out this mod.
    If you go to this page:

You'd see

Ruina Romae
    Somnium Apostatae Iuliani
    (Rio's) Flagellum Dei

Ruina Romae is the original (the first) IBFD mod. It is the easiest to play. You don't start the campaign with huge deficit, or in a terrible military situation.
    Somnium Apostatae Iuliani makes you start on a huge deficit and a terrible military situation
    (Rio's) Flagellum Dei makes you start on a huge deficit. Rio also adds some additional buildings and complexity.

So I recommend first playing Ruina Romae, till you get familiar with the units and buildings.
    Then try the other sub-mods (they can be all installed at the same time, and work)

As for the number of Palatini units, you are probably correct if you read it in a history book. Hopefully the makers of the mod will modify the Palatini in a next version.
    Last edited by ThePianist; November 06, 2009 at 03:16 PM.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by ThePianist View Post
    As for the number of Palatini units, you are probably correct if you read it in a history book. Hopefully the makers of the mod will modify the Palatini in a next version.
    I'm sorry to correct you but there were many more than just 12 palatinae units in the roman army by the mid 4th Century. Originally, when Constantine created his field army, it consisted of 5 Legio Palatinae and 10 Auxilia Palatinae units, but this number contiuned to grow as more field armies were created..

I have only given a representative number which is why you can recruit them throughout the empire. Remember, I have gone for variety to represent regional differences throughout a very large empire.

Cheers
    Last edited by julianus heraclius; November 11, 2009 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    I'm sorry to correct you but there were many more than just 12 palatinae units in the roman army by the mid 4th Century. Originally, when Constantine created his field army, it consisted of 5 Legio Palatinae and 10 Auxilia Palatinae units, but this number contiuned to grow as more field armies were created..

I have only given a representative number which is why you can recruit them throughout the empire. Remember, I have gone for variety to represent regional differences throughout a very large empire.

Cheers
    In the Notitia you will see that some units are shown as being posted in both the Western and Eastern halves of the Empire, in effect they are cross postings where the Eastern section of the Notitia is believed to date from around 395AD, and the Western section from about 420AD. The document had not been amended to reflect this. Do not assume that just because a unit had a 'germanic' name that it drew its recruits from germanic tribes, or other non- Roman citizens either. Take the Cornuti and the Celtae Legione and auxilia units of those names. The tribes they ostensibly are called after and assumed to recruit from no longer existed when Ammianus wrote his history. It's the same in the modern world where units retain old names which no longer reflect the nationality or the function of the unit.

It may well be that when the Cornuti was based in the East it recruited from citizens in say Antioch or Amida, which would fall in neatly in what this mod does.