Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Installation Instructions, Technical Issues and Support

Default Installation Instructions, Technical Issues and Support

Installation Instructions, Technical Information and Support

Installation

EXE version

1) All you need is a clean (unmodded) installation of RTW - BI 1.6. Other completely modfoldered mods leave the game's original files intact, so if you have only installed such mods, your installation is considered clean.

2) Before attempting to install NI, please make sure that your BI has been updated to version 1.6, by starting BI, going to the Options page and checking the top-right corner, where the game's version is mentioned. If your BI is 1.4 and not 1.6, you will have to update it, using the official BI 1.6 patch (get it here or here).

3) After doing that, just run the installer and, when asked to enter the installation path, browse to the main Rome Total War folder. This usually is "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War", but it may vary depending on your version of RTW (eg, the Eras version uses "The Creative Assembly" folder instead of "Activision"), your system's setup and the location where you installed the game. In any case, it is the main RTW folder, which contains the RTW-BI.exe file.

RAR version

1) If you have any problems with the installer then simply use the RAR version. This file must be unzipped and then the NI folder it contains should be placed in the bi folder under the RTW directory.

2) You'll also need to set up a shortcut if you use the RAR. Do this by right-clicking the aforementioned .exe file and sending it to desktop (create shortcut). Then right-click the created shortcut and select "properties". In the target field add this to the end:

Code:
     -mod:bi\NI -nm -show_err
    NOTE: make sure there is a space before each hyphen including the first.

Misc Info

Norman Invasion will require 609 MB of uncompressed space on your hard drive. It is fully modfoldered and does not interfere with your original game files. It is compatible with all other fully modfoldered mods. There are some videos provided below in case you require more help with the installation process.

---

Latest Patches & Hotfixes

If you have version 1.1 or earlier, you will need to install the latest RAR patch (you can find it here) . The bi folder in this RAR file should be installed into your Rome Total War directory; select "yes" when asked to overwrite the bi folder.

---

Installation Troubleshooter

1. If you are running a 64-bit Windows system or Vista and cannot run the .exe file, first try running the file as administrator and/or disabling User Account Control. If it still does not work, then please download and use the RAR version.

2. If using STEAM then go to "My Games", right-click on the "Barbarian Invasion" item and select "Properties". Select "Set Launch Options" and in the box that comes up enter " -mod:bi\NI -nm -show_err" (without the quotation marks). You can then "Create a Desktop Shortcut" for the mod using those parameters.

---

Mod CTDs on Vista

1. If using Vista and the mod crashes to desktop every time you try to play a custom battle or campaign, then you need to locate your "Virtual Store" (C:\Users\AccountName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore), delete all its contents and launch the mod again.

---

If you have further questions or comments then please post here, giving as many details possible about your problem.
    Last edited by MasterOfNone; August 17, 2015 at 04:49 AM.

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

Default Re: Norman Invasion Released

I cant start the campaign. Error Message >

Problem in .../barbarian_invasion/desc_strat at line 12 column 1

Please help me playing this great mod

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: Norman Invasion Released

Is your BI version 1.6?
    Last edited by Aradan; October 14, 2009 at 04:40 PM.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Default Re: Installation Instructions, Technical Issues and Support

Yep.

Btw I run Vista 64 bit

Keyser Soze's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgaroktonos View Post
    Yep.

Btw I run Vista 64 bit
    I have Vista too, and no problems. try everything reinstall or try what is written in Aradan´s "Installation Instructions, Technical Information and Support" :

Mod CTDs on Vista

1. If using Vista and the mod crashes to desktop every time you try to play a custom battle or campaign, then you need to locate your "Virtual Store" (C:\Users\AccountName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore), delete all its contents and launch the mod again.
    sorry my english.

I reinstalled but didnt work.

I have Invasio Barbarorum installed, maybe there are some interferences ?

Two mods for the same platform tat use the same .exe should either both work or both not work...

Make a back up of your NI preferences file and replace it with the IB prefs file and see if that makes a difference. And just to be sure, do recheck your version of BI.

Default Battle Map Freeze_up

I had no problem installing. The campaign map worked fine.

However, as the Normans when I went to fight the "Battle of Hastings" in southern England the game would instantly "freeze-up" as soon as I pressed "Start Battle." (I attacked with William's stack against the Harold stack. I could deploy my forces, but could not fight the battle.) It happened three times in a row. My PC would completely lock-up and I had to reboot my PC.

I've played and enjoyed Viking Invasion II very much and without problem. However, it appears this mod is currently unplayable for me due to some bug with the battles.
    Last edited by MKeogh; October 16, 2009 at 07:10 PM.

Strange, no one has encountered that - and, believe me, we fought soooo many "Hastings" battles

Maybe you PC cannot handle the numbers? Try setting unit size to medium.

I have the same problem as MKeogh. I find it hard to believe that my machine can not handle the numbers. But I am going to go test it with the unit size at medium and see what it does.
    Trust in Jesus, always!

Thank you to you both - an error was found and corrected. Please see this post for details:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=6146129

Other comments have also been taken into account.

greetings,installed the patch (probably wrongly knowing me) now showing a such and such building does not exist error,simplest thing for me to do is reinstall.so if i delete the ni folder will that do it? id rather not uninstall everything as i have a few mods (mainly by you chaps as it happens!) and i dont want to go through putting everything on again.

Keyser Soze's Avatar Domesticus

NI is completely modfoldered, so it does not change vanilla or other modfoldered mods. just delete NI folder and install NI again.
    sorry my english.

Not sure if installing the patch wrongly would cause this error, but yes, in order to remove NI simply delete the NI folder inside your bi directory.

ok lads, cheers

right,just tried to install the latest exe version,got to directory doesnt exist would you like to create,click yes,says invalid directory.stumped as a dead tree. any ideas??

Well, the obvious: Are you sure you pointed the installer to the correct directory, ie where you have RTW installed?
    Last edited by Aradan; October 21, 2009 at 03:11 PM.

right its like this,i worked till 2.30 last night and did the day job today so im cream crackerd and yes i missed that bit. just done it and its fine.so move along,nothing to see here, just one muppet!!

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by leonn View Post
    ... just one muppet!!
    Lol ... which one of the muppets are you? I liked the 2 old grandpa's making their comments in the theater the most, i've forgotten their name now.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 21, 2009 at 05:28 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Athenogoras's Avatar Campidoctor

That would be Waldorf and Statler. My favourites too

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast