Thread: Tactics for those little gold guys with crossbow-ballista-gun things

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Tactics for those little gold guys with crossbow-ballista-gun things

How do you use said gold guys with crossbow-ballista-gun things properly? I always seem to get charged or stuck on a wall and the unit size is soooo small that it's hard to keep them alive.
    HELP please!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Default Re: Tactics for those little gold guys with crossbow-ballista-gun things

Mmmm, I've never used them before, the manuballista's or something like that...maybe have them positioned in amongst your heavy infantry? Those sorts of units have a short range so they'd get caught out easily
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: Tactics for those little gold guys with crossbow-ballista-gun things

They are really mobile light artillery. They would have been used around seiges but they do have armour piercing capability so are good against heavily armoured troops but keep them well protected.

Keep them with your emperor's army. They are kind of like floss. The infantry is your toothbrush, your archers and light troops are your toothpaste, and your arch ballistas and cavalry are your floss.

Great anologies, right?

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by The10thLegion View Post
    Keep them with your emperor's army. They are kind of like floss. The infantry is your toothbrush, your archers and light troops are your toothpaste, and your arch ballistas and cavalry are your floss.

Great anologies, right?

@OP: they're great agains elephants and heavily armored targets in general.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Possibly behind an infantry shieldwall. They're too expensive to put in Limitaeni units, as the shieldwall will break too soon.

Do I sound intelligent
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    Do I sound intelligent
    You certainly do.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Wait, the collapse of the Roman Empire in the West was down to barbarian plaque?!?!?

Those little fellows kill elephants? Every one of my eastern armies are getting a unit of these ASAP!
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonius View Post
    Those little fellows kill elephants? Every one of my eastern armies are getting a unit of these ASAP!
    not nearly as well as kurdish javelineers/exculcatores type soldiers. let's face it, fewer men, less protection, and awefully pricy for their size-I'll pass.

I preder to keep them as light artillery against heavy cavalry and infantry. and even then, Onagers do a batter job IMHO.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

I'm gunna test it and post the battle replay here.

Attachment 58653
    okey-dokey, the results are in, and they say FAIL. Two units of no-upgrade Manuballistari did nada to one unit of no-upgrade Sassanid elephants

EDIT: No they killed one elephant right near the end of the battle.
    Last edited by Julianus Flavius; October 13, 2009 at 12:50 AM.

Too bad, they look kinda cool...
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Quote Originally Posted by Gen.jamesWolfe View Post
    not nearly as well as kurdish javelineers/exculcatores type soldiers. let's face it, fewer men, less protection, and awefully pricy for their size-I'll pass.

I preder to keep them as light artillery against heavy cavalry and infantry. and even then, Onagers do a batter job IMHO.
    Yeah, I have to agree with the Gen. Better to use skirmishing infantry and archers with flaming arrows to take on Elephants, but the manubalistarii are very good at taking out very heavy units.

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    Attachment 58653
    okey-dokey, the results are in, and they say FAIL. Two units of no-upgrade Manuballistari did nada to one unit of no-upgrade Sassanid elephants

EDIT: No they killed one elephant right near the end of the battle.

as I said, the unit is too small do do too much to them. IIRC, it takes at least 2-3 of those units to make up one javlineer unit.

the only time they are effective is if you piled up a few of them against the elephants-closer to 120-150 of those buggars. as you can tell, I go man for man, not unit for unit. its more accurate that way.