Thread: [Graphics] Flaming Text With Gimp

Default [Graphics] Flaming Text With Gimp

Author: Subuatai de Bodemloze
    Original Thread: [Tutorial] Flaming Text (gimp)

[Graphics] Flaming Text For Gimp

This tutorial should explain how to make flaming text with The GIMP. Download link

STEP ONE
    Create a new image. Set the size as you see fit. For this tutorial I have used 640 x400 with a higher resolution.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

STEP TWO Using the bucket tool paint the background Black ( or set it that way when you start the new image ) Then select the text tool, set the colour to white. Type what you wish, using the font that you desire. note: Bolder fonts tend to be better suited for this effect but that doesn't mean you have to use bold. once done typing click close.

STEP THREE
    Step A: Right click on the text layer & select Discard text information.
    Step B: Then click Layer (from the menu bar) select Autocrop layer
    Step C: Using the move and Align tools set the text vertically and center your font horizontally
    Step D: Duplicate layer; Right click on the text layer and select duplicate layer.

STEP FOUR
    Step A: Right click the Bottom text layer (should be directly above the black background layer) click Merge down.

Step B: Now you should have only two layers again. Click the text layer. Right click, select Alpha to selection. Then paint the text Black or another colour of your liking.

STEP FIVE Click on the Background layer. go to the Filters menu -> Blur -> Motion Blur. Select Linear, set the length as you like (around 30-50 should be good), set the Angle to between 80-100 - 90 is vertical..

STEP SIX Now go Filters -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur. Set the Blur Radius to between 20-30, click OK.

STEP SEVEN
    Next, Go to the Colour menu -> Colour Balance.
    Set the colours to the following (adjust to your liking)
    I used the following:
    Shadows +100, +40, -40
    Midtones +100, +40, -40
    Highlights +100, 0, 0
    Once done click OK. And you should have something like this.

STEP EIGHT Now this is where we start to see the end results...
    STEP EIGHT
    Select the Smudge tool, pick a Fuzzy circle, click on Fade out (set between 75-150) and click Apply jitter. Now smudge the image to make your major flames.
    Note: you can choose to do the whole image using smudge and different size brushes, but I find you don't get the nice curls, and a more realistic effect.

STEP NINE Now go: Filters -> Distort -> I-warp. Enlarge the new window by dragging a corner. Set the Deform mode to Swirl CCW, set the radius to around 15. In the preview box click and move the cursor multiple times in a semi random way keeping in mind that is distorting the image counter clockwise. Once done click OK.
    STEP NINE
    Note: You may want to attempt this a few times until you get your desired results. just click cancel and restart the I-warp.

Repeat this step but this time use Swirl CW (Clockwise)

STEP TEN Now right click on the fire layer and select Duplicate layer. Selecting the new layer go: Filters -> Blur -> Gaussian blur. Set the blur radius to 20-30. Click OK.

STEP ELEVEN Selecting the un-blurred Fire layer, move it to above the Text. Set the Layer mode to Screen and lower the opacity to around 80. You want to be able to see some of the blurred fire layer. ( You should have the normal fire on top of everything then the text then the blurred fire layer on bottom )
    STEP ELEVEN There you go Flaming text!
    Additionally I recommend duplicating the Text layer and moving it to top and then lowering its opacity or playing with the layer modes to get different effects.

LAST WORDS Of course there are many other things that you can do from here. But that is for another time. Till then experiment. I hope this comes in handy for someone. I enjoyed doing this feel free to comment, and offer suggestions for another tutorial.
    LAST WORDS

Last edited by Sir Adrian; December 31, 2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: updated author name
    | "I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." |

My Workshop |The Graphics Workshop| Critic's Quill |Imperium Graecorum