Thread: the size of the army

Icon5 the size of the army

I think in the old total war, a legion have about 102 pepole, but when I start to play at H/VH, the size dorpped to about only 80 at top, for instance I think for start, the Hastati only have 40 man, principle is like 50, traril is like 60 (cant remember the exact number).

I think this is have to do with the difficulty? But I really like the big scene, like a full legion have about 1800-1900 men. It allows you to have a big army on your command, and when the battle is on, it looks so awesome. The legions with so few men is just cant get my interests!

There is one campion difficulty and one is the battle difficulty, so which one determines the battle size?

One more note, I am playing this mod for quite a long time, and when I almost conquered Gaul and Germania, suddenly the old Gaul cities was on revolt, I have to crush those rebels many times, some city was now only have less than 5000 pepole left, but still I cant raise up their loyalty, no matter how much army I stationed there, and how low the tax rate is.

Would you please help on this?

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Default Re: the size of the army

You DO know that you just can go to options, video-setting (are something like that) and then advanced settings, and set the unit size, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayanami030 View Post
    I think in the old total war, a legion have about 102 pepole, but when I start to play at H/VH, the size dorpped to about only 80 at top, for instance I think for start, the Hastati only have 40 man, principle is like 50, traril is like 60 (cant remember the exact number).

I think this is have to do with the difficulty? But I really like the big scene, like a full legion have about 1800-1900 men. It allows you to have a big army on your command, and when the battle is on, it looks so awesome. The legions with so few men is just cant get my interests!

There is one campion difficulty and one is the battle difficulty, so which one determines the battle size?

One more note, I am playing this mod for quite a long time, and when I almost conquered Gaul and Germania, suddenly the old Gaul cities was on revolt, I have to crush those rebels many times, some city was now only have less than 5000 pepole left, but still I cant raise up their loyalty, no matter how much army I stationed there, and how low the tax rate is.

Would you please help on this?

Are you saying that unit sizes are linked to the difficulty that you play on, because i do not believe that they are, the unit size depends on whatever you have set it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f View Post
    You DO know that you just can go to options, video-setting (are something like that) and then advanced settings, and set the unit size, right?
    It can be changed in the preferences file as well.

I mean when I set my difficulty to H/VH, the average soldier number in a legion (not the visual size) is reduced than the normal diifculty.
    I know this mod is designed on H/VH settings, but if I use this setting, the number of the army is so few. I dont know if this my own problem or this is designed to be this way?

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

strange, it never happens to me....so setting unit size to, say, huge doesn't work?

It never happens to me either, although i'm not entirely sure what you're saying still.

Setting unit size isn't save game compatible, if that's your issue. If you want, you must set it to huge and then start a new campaign.

102 is realistic for rome legions its the size of a century
    The die is cast- Caesar