Thread: DTW stats for september

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default DTW stats for september

DTW_v1_Full_repack.zip got 5332 downloads last month.

That's quite an impressive result, showing the quality of the mod.

Congratulations to the DTW team!
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Default Re: DTW stats for september

I'd say Cheers! Even though DTW has major stability issues on BI, I think the stability of ALX makes up for it.

We'll keep improving it. Though there hasn't been any active development for ages now.
    The most fun fact is that v1.0 wasn't even supposed to be released..

TM Is Back's Avatar Campidoctor

It deserves even more

I wish we had more PR people to advertise the mod though.

The Best Is Yet To Come:

Maelkoch's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    Even though DTW has major stability issues on BI, I think the stability of ALX makes up for it.
    Not for those without ALX.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Maelkoch View Post
    Not for those without ALX.
    Well ALX only costs 9.99 USD, I think it is more than a good bargain, a steal, when you get this mod.

Speaking of advertising, a video on youtube will do quite some fuzz, RedFox. I installed Fraps and recorded a few short videos. Looks pretty cool, but I have problems with sound. And, would be nice to see a few more AARs running and taking part in AAR competition. Btw, guys, keep posting nic pics in screenshots section. People new to a mod often view that thread to get an idea about mod, imo.
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; October 14, 2009 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    Well ALX only costs 9.99 USD, I think it is more than a good bargain, a steal, when you get this mod.
    I ended up doing the simpler and cheaper thing, and uninstalled D:TW (it just crashed every now and then and lost savegames etc.).

I've already got Europa Barbarorum, so I primarily downloaded D:TW for the possibility to fight the Diadochi Wars. Maybe I'll download this again at a later date when the game will be more finished, with no more pyjama-infantry or other vanilla units, better balanced - the battles were often over before my phalanxes got in contact with the enemy - combat and so on.

I did like many of the skins that the DTW team had done, though (my 5-five-year-old brother especially liked the Makedonian peltasts ). I'll probably be lingering about these forums as a spectator.

Well, we're talking about quite a disparity in resources here.
    EB has a pretty huge team, DTW has Redfox and Maraxus doing the bulk of the unit work...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Maelkoch: I'd be happy to receive some actual constructive criticism from you, once you actually achieve something in the modding realm, instead of being an impotent critic.

I haven't been actively modding on DTW for half a year, so there's barely been any support, that's true. Your 'bug reports' (oh, it crashed somewhere somehow don't care) aren't being of any help though. Having only two not so active members and comparing it to EB's massive team is just pointless.

Having said that, it delivers what it has on ALX. If you can't bother to get it, that's your choice and nobody can change that.

Maelkoch: I'd be happy to receive some actual constructive criticism from you, once you actually achieve something in the modding realm, instead of being an impotent critic.

I haven't been actively modding on DTW for half a year, so there's barely been any support, that's true. Your 'bug reports' (oh, it crashed somewhere somehow don't care) aren't being of any help though. Having only two not so active members and comparing it to EB's massive team is just pointless.

Having said that, it delivers what it has on ALX. If you can't bother to get it, that's your choice and nobody can change that.
    *Sigh*

My post was not meant to offend the DTW team. You've stated yourself it's unstable on BI, and as I'm not getting Alexander:TW at least right now, I decided to uninstall the game (I only played 10 turns' worth in three campaigns and the game crashed four times, twice after pressing 'End turn', once after battle and once rather inexplicably in the middle of my turn).

All I tried to say that despite that I might in the future download this mod again, once the mod's developed further - currently, three out of four campaigns are described as unfinished, there are vanilla units still in the game, which rather stand out next to the beautiful skins made by DTW team, and so on.

However, I did not demand time tables. I didn't say this was a bad mod or that the team sucked. I didn't demand that the BI version's stability be brought to the level of Alex version. Instead, I just referred to the aforementioned instability (and my decision not to get Alex as of now) as a reason for my uninstallment. I then complimented the mod for their skins and expressed my intention to follow up on the development of the mod, should there be any.

Seriously, you just need a little thicker skin. No offence was meant, then or now. It's just silly to take every point of criticism as an attack towards you or your mod. Goodbye, for now.

(And if you reread my post, you'll notice I didn't compare DTW to EB, or DTW team to EB team, I just said because of the fact that I do own the more-stable-for-me EB - whose campaign begins in 272BC - the 279BC campaign was less of a factor compared to the "Wars of the Diadochi" campaign which was my primary motivator to download this mod.)

Oh well, I guess everyone has their bad days. I guess I do owe you a good apology. It's just frustrating to get feedback without much concrete info. Having received dozens of these reports as they are, I hope you understand I might get annoyed. I guess some thicker skin would be good.

There might be some encoding issues regarding the name files, so that might cause some sort of crashes if you click end turn. It's really hard to track this down if it crashes on BI, but not on ALX. It would probably mean stripping the whole descr_strat of its names. That's roughly full three days of work, if I had a computer to run DTW with. Right now all it does is bluescreen.

FYI, most of the recent stuff is blind-modded.
    Last edited by RedFox; October 17, 2009 at 06:32 PM.

Oh well, I guess everyone has their bad days. I guess I do owe you a good apology. It's just frustrating to get feedback without much concrete info. Having received dozens of these reports as they are, I hope you understand I might get annoyed. I guess some thicker skin would be good.

There might be some encoding issues regarding the name files, so that might cause some sort of crashes if you click end turn. It's really hard to track this down if it crashes on BI, but not on ALX. It would probably mean stripping the whole descr_strat of its names. That's roughly full three days of work, if I had a computer to run DTW with. Right now all it does is bluescreen.

FYI, most of the recent stuff is blind-modded.
    Thank you, and on my part, no offence taken. All the best to you, both modding- and otherwise.

First of all those stats are rather amazing, congrats. Good to see the mod doing well, although not getting the full recognition it should. Also good to see so many still play RTW.
    As Magister Equitum was sayingit would probably be better if DTW got some t00b footage and stuff to get it out there. I have tried making a few videos but with the video maker included with RTW, it seems to be rather annoying to use and time consuming. The ones I have made with all the camera movements, fades and other effects just haven't saved properly, pretty annoying. So would you say Fraps is better to make videos with or should i try perservere with the RTW video maker if it's better.

Fraps is probably the safe choice of the two.