Thread: A Breakthrough in Diplomacy AI

Default A Breakthrough in Diplomacy AI

I've been playing the Total War series since the first Medieval Total War came out. I've seen the series grow more complex and refined over the years, but one thing always bothered me, the diplomacy AI. Even with mods like Europa Barbarorum for RTW factions make incredibly outrageous propositions like demanding one of my regions in exchange for a ceasefire when they only have one region left themsleves and about to be destroyed.

Even in vanilla ETW the diplomacy is vastly improved but is still lacking logic.

However, today, after downloading the newest official patch and DLC and a fresh installation of APE: TI 1.0.8 I started a new campaign as Portugal, and on the second turn something amazing happened.

On the second turn Spain offered me, Portugal, Sardinia in exchange for one of my regions in India, Goa. Here's a screenshot of it :

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It's the most genuinely reasonable, logical, realistic instance of diplomacy in a Total War game that I've ever seen. I'm so in awe that I haven't even considered what I might answer yet.

Perhaps I'm overreacting, but I've been waiting for decent diplomacy AI for a long time. Please tell me if this is the work of Creative Assembly or the team behind APE : TI and if it's more common than I think.
    Last edited by Celtillus; October 09, 2009 at 10:20 AM.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Default Re: A Breakthrough in Diplomacy AI

From the AI that's the first time I've seen a semi-fair request for land and the only time I've seen a region traded for a region.

Nice! +rep!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

persianfan247's Avatar Senator

For vanilla 1.3 the Marathas somehow ended up with territory in Poland in my Ottoman campaign, I guessing something similar happened.

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

@ Persianfan: I can testify that! Playing as Prussia, I had demands from Maratha that they wanted to have West Prussia region. Offcourse I declined and few turns later they invaded me.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

The AI will occasionally make sensible deals, this is not our doing.

As Maharaj of the Marathas I've seen an offer from France to give them Berar and rights of passage for an alliance and Windward Islands, which was a pretty good offer considering it'd create a buffer between me and the Mughals, get me an alliance so I could call them to war against the filthy English k'niggets when they declared (which I was sure they would since they had armies on fleets near my coast and were just looking for an opportunity) it got me a foothold in the Americas.

Of course, I forgot that Windward Islands would be pestered by pirates so I sold it off again the next turn but I still felt it was a good offer

Sometimes, though, it annoys me that the AI has no concept of haggling or counter-counter-offers in other words. You offer them something, they throw something mostly non-random but random feeling and semi-related back at you but that's usually not what you had in mind in the first place, and if you try this again they make the exact same counter offer

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

its always hilarious when a one province minor nation declines an offer, saying " to do this would mean an equality of worth, sir", when i have 6,000 troops on their border and they have 4 pikemen.

thats when i run them down like grass. NO QUARTER

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

This is not at all uncommon after patch 1.4 - I've seen it numerous times. I may not have been good at capturing screenshots of it though..
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawire View Post
    This is not at all uncommon after patch 1.4 - I've seen it numerous times. I may not have been good at capturing screenshots of it though..
    Yeah well as Mike Simpson said they got the campaign AI to a decent level. Shame about everything else but that's how things are

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.