Thread: Help coming up with ideas for M2W AAR

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

Default Help coming up with ideas for M2W AAR

Hi all,

I've just found myself with a lot of time on my hands and I want to get back into fiction writing. I'm planning on starting my first M2W AAR and would like some help deciding what to write about. Any feedback would be appreciated:

1. What M2W factions have been so covered in past AARs that they're all but played out? From looking over the current crop of AARs, it seems that there are already plenty of stories about the British Isles factions (especially England and Scotland), Crusader States, Byzantium, and Italy.

Certainly there's a huge crop of Third Age AARs, so while it's an awesome mod I'm going to stay away from that topic.

2. Are there any factions that you would be especially interested in seeing? Any that haven't been covered in depth or which haven't been the topic of an AAR in some time?

3. Do I need to create clever twists nowadays to "spice" up AARs? I only ask this because it seems I've read plenty of AARs that have Sci Fi or fantasy elements and even bring in screenshots from other games.

4. Any recommendations on what MOD to use? Since this is my first AAR, I'm considering either going Vanilla or using the Grand Campaign Mod. However, I don't know if vanilla is considered too "boring," as I see most people use SS.

Default Re: Help coming up with ideas for M2W AAR

2. - I'd love to see a Spain AAR, personally. I saw a good one a long time ago, and it has remained a favorite among M2TW.
    3. - I'd suggest staying away from Sci-Fi and mixing modern/futuristic screenshots in with the gameplay. I find that those AARs seem to be hard to read. I lose interest quickly.
    Good luck, whatever you choose. Make sure to choose something you'll be interested in, so you'll want to finish!
    Alea Iacta Est (The Die is Cast) - Gaius Julius Caesar
    An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great
    We will either find a way, or make one - Hannibal Barca

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

1 - I personally suggest Portugal as a faction, but mainly pick something that's unusual and that people don't all hate
    2 - If you want originality, just pick anything that isn't already out there! Although I know that's what you're already trying to do...
    3 - Write well sounds obvious, but I've seen lots of good ideas and planning go to waste on guys who a. can;t be arsed to write well or b. keep going on their AARs
    Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Quote Originally Posted by Count of Montesano View Post

1. What M2W factions have been so covered in past AARs that they're all but played out? From looking over the current crop of AARs, it seems that there are already plenty of stories about the British Isles factions (especially England and Scotland), Crusader States, Byzantium, and Italy.
    That's true what you said, but if you implement your own unique style of writing - Your AAR can become very unique indeed, no matter which faction you play.

Certainly there's a huge crop of Third Age AARs, so while it's an awesome mod I'm going to stay away from that topic.

2. Are there any factions that you would be especially interested in seeing? Any that haven't been covered in depth or which haven't been the topic of an AAR in some time?
    Wise choice about TA:TW. Too many AARs already.
    To be honest? Yes - I'd love to see Denmark, Hungary or Poland. Many people hate playing as said factions as they claim that they are 'Too hard' - Instead of standing up in front of the challenge they scurry away from it and pick the stronger factions.

3. Do I need to create clever twists nowadays to "spice" up AARs? I only ask this because it seems I've read plenty of AARs that have Sci Fi or fantasy elements and even bring in screenshots from other games.
    Well, I hate doing that actually. I wanted to implement two different games into one AAR, but it's too much work and it usually just destroys the AAR completely in my eyes, since it mostly VERY poorly done.

You can easily create a plot outside-yet-inside the game, meaning something like a real story based on the game but events that don't really happen in the game, it's much more fitting and usually works far better.

4. Any recommendations on what MOD to use? Since this is my first AAR, I'm considering either going Vanilla or using the Grand Campaign Mod. However, I don't know if vanilla is considered too "boring," as I see most people use SS.
    Stainless Steel offers you dozens of different factions to use, most of which have not been covered with AARs, so I suggest you use Stainless Steel as most people are already bored with the "Vanilla" game.

If you need suggestions - I'd say with SS you should go for Lithuania, Teutonic Order, Novgorod, Cuman Khanate, Kwarezmian Empire, Turkey, Moors, Aragon or any of the other factions that not many people like to play with. There are many of them, just choose.

Good luck!
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Kallum's Avatar I win, you lose!
    Somewhere behind a desk, following the world from behind the save glowing screen that is my desktop

well it's quite easy, if you want to earn a lot of rep, make a timurid AAR even the worst writer can get far more rep then the best writer on the site(not implementing that I think you aren't good)

if you want a good story then I'd suggest a Papal State AAR, haven't seen any of those for a long time and who doesn't love bashing the world as the pope
    Carl von Dobeln's son
    How it all began
    Author of the Basileia ton Romaion Series book 1, 2, 3
    The work has been done, the trilogy is completed or has it?