Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Again only with Steam?

Icon5 Again only with Steam?

Or did they learn from the past (like EA with Spore)?

Default Re: Again only with Steam?

Quote Originally Posted by rabenschnabel View Post
    Or did they learn from the past (like EA with Spore)?
    It will be on Steam again I imagine, yeah. Out of curiosity, what are you implying is wrong with Steam? Certainly when it first came out it had a lot of problems, but Steam in its current manifestation is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by setep View Post
    It will be on Steam again I imagine, yeah. Out of curiosity, what are you implying is wrong with Steam? Certainly when it first came out it had a lot of problems, but Steam in its current manifestation is excellent.
    I don't like to be forced to use a 3rd party programm to play a game that:
    - offers me, the customer, nothing positiv
    - prevent me to resell the game if I don't like it
    - forces me to only use the latest patch

I can't think of a reason why I want to run a game with Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by setep View Post
    steam its like you buy a car for example a volvo and each time you want to drive you need ask them to turn your car on to work like a code.... so point is you're hostage of steam to be able to play a game you paid to CA-SEGA and not steam !

agreed
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

The fact that it is illegal to do so anyway would also not be in your favour.

But something that does help with steam is. If somehow you lose your CDs you have a perfect back up just waiting to be downloaded.

I agree partly with not being able to get refunds for games, but Steam doesn't force you to use the latest patches of games, you can prevent it downloading updates and instead prompt you through those pop-up update news windows. Also, it offers centralised, automated patching, which is pretty handy for most games, though obviously it can create problems for ETW mod users.

#1, An in-game browser, in-game chat, easy patching (you can turn off auto patching if you like, btw), easy correction of file errors (verify integrity...), defragmentation of only the game's files, ability to communicate in-game with people playing other games in-game... etc etc etc.

#2, Got me there, but honestly that's a REALLY small portion of the population that does that anyway, to be brutally honest. Game stores do not buy or accept returns of pc games so really all you can do is sell it over the internet... I don't know anybody who has done that.

#3, you don't have to patch. Turn off auto-patching. You generally don't need to stick with old patches anyway from my experience.

And the #1 reason to use steam for a developer? They get to sell secure copies of a game without the pressure from their developer to put INVASIVE drm onto their products. No, Steam is not invasive. It doesn't prevent you from using daemontools or anything like most (cough EA cough) DRM.

Quote Originally Posted by nemgod View Post
    The fact that it is illegal to do so anyway would also not be in your favour.
    I don't know the laws in your country, but where I life there is nothing illegal to (re)sell a game I bought legally in a store.

Quote Originally Posted by nemgod View Post
    But something that does help with steam is. If somehow you lose your CDs you have a perfect back up just waiting to be downloaded.
    I never lost a game, but if you tend to lose your games often, go and buy them on Steam.
    It's ok to buy a game on Steam (chose to use Steam). But to buy a game elsewhere and be forced to use Steam is not.

Edit: About the patching: If Steam patched my game (and I don't like the patch), there is NO way to go back to an old version of the game. Without Steam there is no problem to do so.
    Last edited by rabenschnabel; October 06, 2009 at 09:29 PM.

There are some good features with Steam but I would prefer it if NTW would not include Steam into its installation process, since I had a lot of trouble with it.
    Son of Major Darling | House of Caesars | Content Writer | My Workshop | Moderator

Elyrioth's Avatar Senator

Yes Ca have advised they will continue to use Steam. Going by what was said I imagine we are looking at a number of games to come on steam.
    I like steam so not a problem.
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Steam is only bad with people who it doesn't work properly with! For those who don't have any problems its excellent!
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

I detest Steam. Give the user a choice. By the by, it's useless to prevent piracy, as was shown by the (unfortunate) pirating of ETW as soon as it was released.

I think that CA should give people a choice. If they buy it from a retail store then just install it onto your computer like any other game. I you buy it from steam then install it into the steam folder.
    Son of Major Darling | House of Caesars | Content Writer | My Workshop | Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Fozdike View Post
    There are some good features with Steam but I would prefer it if NTW would not include Steam into its installation process, since I had a lot of trouble with it.
    That was really down to Sega, CA and valve not communicating properly and not being ready enough for the ETW release. I'm sure all sides will have learned their lesson by now and can provide a much smoother release for NTW (although since we're talking computers it wont go completely smooth)

Quote Originally Posted by Elyrioth View Post
    Yes Ca have advised they will continue to use Steam. Going by what was said I imagine we are looking at a number of games to come on steam.
    I like steam so not a problem.
    So no money from me this time I guess.
    Until they release a Steam-free version.

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

I would much rather the option was there, as posted earlier, for those that wish to purchase via Steam can do so & those that buy via retailers don't have to deal with Steam.
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

dragos's Avatar Libertus

Steam is not invasive? then what about the big warpath advertise they stuffed down our throat? they should at least ask if you want to let`em put a big indian screen with stupid music in Your game! And also, you should be able to choose if you want to buy the game from steam, or you want it separate!

I'm not buying the expansion exactly because of Steam.

I get too often the message "The Steam servers are busy, retry later".

I'm a lost buyer and unsatisfied customer of Sega, and I bought the series from Shogun all the way to now.

Quote Originally Posted by dragos View Post
    Steam is not invasive? then what about the big warpath advertise they stuffed down our throat? they should at least ask if you want to let`em put a big indian screen with stupid music in Your game! And also, you should be able to choose if you want to buy the game from steam, or you want it separate!
    That was utterly shameless. When I installed 1.4 I was flabbergasted -- "what, I've actually started the Kingdoms America campaign?"

delpiero1234's Avatar Libertus

I hate it, too that the servers are too busy sometimes.
    Steam is OK but they shouldn't fore us to use it.
    I play ETW with the Imperial Splendour mod and every time there's a freakin patch I have to wait for a new release of IS.
    That's my #1 argument not to by NTW. And disabling the updatefunction doesn't work properly.
    When you see that there's a new patch (like today) and you disable the download function you can't play because you get the error code that there are files that need to be updated.
    Screw that!

Edit:
    And being honest: I'm downloading this freaking patch now for like 30 minutes and it's halfway down. Just because those steam servers are out of capacity not because my internet is slow (it actually is very fast...)!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast