View Poll Results: Shall Ciabhan become a Citizen?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 90.00%
  • No

1 10.00%
  • Abstain

0 0%

Thread: [PASSED 10/14/09] [Civitate] Ciabhan (Patron: pannonian)

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default [PASSED 10/14/09] [Civitate] Ciabhan (Patron: pannonian)

Received this by PM:

Client: CiabhanI average around 3 posts per day and try to focus those posts on subjects dear to me. When I post I generally try to make my point in a non-confrontational way. I use life experiences to look at debates from both sides and make my arguments based on a combination of said life experiences and factual data.

When debating I attempt to make my own argument without prejudice, anger, or too much emotion. I have at times slipped up a wee bit and said things from an emotional(or drunken)standpoint but I always admit my wrong when I do so and try to make up for it. When posting in threads that are particularly volatile I try to acknowledge the similarities and differences of my debating partners and by example attempt to rein in any ill willed posting.

In my time here I have greatly enjoyed learning things I did not know, clarifying things that were cloudy, and hopefully imparting some of my own knowledge and experience. I am honoured to even be considered for a peer recognition such as this.

Patron: pannonianCiabhan first caught my attention when I was reading the Northern Ireland threads, especially his exchanges with Yorkshireman, whom I'd also approached for this. For such a potentially heated subject, they showed a lot of understanding and respect for each other. What probably clinched it for Ciabhan was how he told me off in this thread - all very civil, even as he disagreed with me. For me, he and Yorkshireman are among the best in our Common Community, and I'd like to show my appreciation of that.

Unfortunately, Yorkshireman turned down my offer of patronage, explaining that he prefers to remain a pleb, so I can only patronise Ciabhan, rather than both together. However, he does agree that Ciabhan would be a good choice for citizen, which councillors can check with him if they like, if they value his recommendation.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Default Re: [Civitate] Ciabhan

The applicant has been with us for a good bit of time. He has a great history. He is polite. He stays on topic. He is the ideal type of a poster we want to encourage to participate in the D&D forums.

I do recall his posts in a thread that I had started -- When is it ethical to Tase? 7 posts and several of them with boofhead . pannonian's linked thread is also an excellant example of a good interchange. He has handled the discussions well and kept on topic in both threads.

My concern is the lack of leading a discussion and that the bulk of the posts are a single post to a thread and not a part of a continuing discussion.

I am not certain how I will eventually balance the two sides of this problem. I am leaning towards a yes vote.
    Last edited by Viking Prince; October 05, 2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: just because i cannot spell
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

I don't know this chap so I will have to do some extensive reading of his posts. First impressions (of those I've read so far) are very favourable though.
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

He asked me about this member a few weeks ago and yeah, he's in no problem.

Yeah, he's a good example of a Civitate. He stays on-topic, he always contributes to the debate in a positive way. He seems mature and quite knowledgeable in various fields. A definite yes from me.

Yet another feller turning down a patronization offer. Shucks. As for the fellow willing to be made up, pann's nod and my own dig around show that he is a capable guy and fairly polite. However, I'm not so sure that this is enough to warrant the rank.
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Tankbuster's Avatar Analogy Nazi

I've read a fair number of the guys posts by now, and I must say that I think he's a good contribution to the debating part of the site. Very polite and a good character, as well as active, but more importantly he seems to have quite a bit of life experience that he's willing to bring to TWC (check the taser thread for examples).

So really, I can't think of any reason why I shouldn't vote yes. It's true that he stays a bit under the radar (as many of us tend to do), but he often gets into a discussion on the subjects he knows about. That in itself is not a bad thing at all; it makes one more of a quality poster.
    The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
    --- Mark 2:27

Atheism is simply a way of clearing the space for better conservations.
    --- Sam Harris

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Poll added.
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

I have nothing to add that hasn't been said already. I've liked his posts that I've come across.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

He's a polite fellow who has made several valuable contributions to this site. I second Squid's post and will be voting yes.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Don't worry fellow CdeC'ers. I won't inflict my 'singing votes' on anyone during my time here* but I voted yes.

*Unless a really appropriate candidate comes along, of course

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

What no witty lyrics from Harry Lime!!

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Sqυιd View Post
    What no witty lyrics from Harry Lime!!
    He knows a tough audiance when he sees one.

(we are too sober)
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Very good posts from Ciabhan. Definitely voting yes on this guy, I was impressed.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Passed.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.