Thread: Napoleon 2002 TV series

Sir Nicholas Altman's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Napoleon 2002 TV series

I just got Napoleon french TV series

It seems very good. Thoughts?

Damn link to the wiki site is not working.
    Last edited by Sir Nicholas Altman; October 04, 2009 at 07:10 AM.

REQUIEM's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Napoleon 2002 TV series

I've been looking for this everywhere in all the entertainment shops near me and i simply can't find it. but i may have to look online for it!

Where did you get your copy from?
    Last edited by REQUIEM; October 04, 2009 at 07:47 AM.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by REQUIEM View Post
    I've been looking for this everywhere in all the entertainment shops near me and i simply can't find it. but i may have to look online for it!

Where did you get your copy from?

amazon.co.uk

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

It's a great series, though it is forced to gloss over alot of events for obvious reasons. I wish it were twice as long. I guess I have watched it three times over the past year and will watch it again before NTW is released. The Hornblower series is also great and of course Sharpe.

I just recently ordered it from Amazon. Problem is that its the A&E english version and they cut a bunch of stuff out of it. But it should still have plenty of battle sequences in it.
    May your road lead you to warm sands.

REQUIEM's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Reiksmarshal View Post
    Cheers.

Nirnaeth Arnoediad's Avatar Vive l'Empereur !

I'm french. These films have been made for the french public TV.
    I have it and they are very good, historically too.

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

I own the English six hour version on DVD and I have to admit it's absolutely brilliant. One of the main problems I have with it though is that Napoleon is too often shown as a man who was being bullied, rather than being a bully himself. It's a little too pro-Napoleon for my taste, but hey; it was mostly funded with French money. It was a European co-production though, not purely made for French public television. If you look at the lineup of actors and actresses, there are a lot of famous European faces in it..

And ofcourse, let's not forget John Malkovich as Talleyrand, which is one of the best parts in the entire series.

The English version has some of the most horrendous English accents I've heard in my life, but then again, I've also seen the French version on Belgian public television (we also get Belgian tv here in the Netherlands) and in that version the French was excellent, but the non-French speaking actors / actresses all sounded horrible.. So either way you look at it, there's something not quite realistic to it..

Lastly, one of the things that's always bothered me is the depiction of Waterloo. We get some of the great battles of Napoleon's career in this miniseries, but Waterloo is pretty much rushed through (and ofcourse the significant Dutch and Prussian contribution is completely omitted). We do get to see Scotsmen in kilts though.. (Yay! )

For the production value, it's a great piece of film, for the history, not so much..

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah, Malkovich was surperb.

Is the Sharpe TV series any good? I was wondering because I love the books but I'm always reluctant to buy the DVD's whenever I see them in shops.

if you buy it you have to take the books quite loosely, as the first thing that strikes you is that they are in the wrong order (btw don't change the order i did that one and you have him jumping from Lt to Mjr, and vice versa.) also all the books in india are in two 'film' from the last few years. otherwise if you just want a 'film' then they are on a par with Hornblower.
    For King and Country
    Every one I give you
    King George his most Britanic Majesty

The fighting 95th, First in the field and the last out of the Fray

Why don't they have a Prussian Flag instead of German

Ok then, I think I might pick up Sharpe's Eagle and Rifles next time I see them then.

Yes, i bought the Napoleon miniseries, I got bored on the love scenes with his wife and what not, but being a napoleonic historian of some sort, it was really quite accurate with the details. But i did really enjoy it! 6 hours all up!
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Sharpe series was for sale at Costco here in the states. I'm not sure if that is still they case. They were selling them in 3 DVD packages. I got the first 6 episodes.
    May your road lead you to warm sands.

The 2002 series is absolutely dreadful. The storyline is trite and simplistic, irrelevant characters are shoehorned into the story whereas important ones are ignored, the special effects are ridiculously bad, the battles are theatrical and diminutive, Napoleon is Asterix, Clavier is somehow "rejuvenated" by having long hair, out-of-place, History Channel-style maps are crammed into the storyline, and the British costumes are the worst uniforms I've ever seen on film. And to top it off, they've managed to shoehorn Gerard "Fatso" Depardieu as Fouché... Ridiculous.

There is a French film, however, which is rather good: it's called Austerlitz, with Pierre Mondy, and I must say he does Napoleon justice as a credible figure. Go for Austerlitz.

And of course, (if you're into B&W films) Abel Gance's Napoleon is an absolute must.
    Last edited by Lance-Corporal Jones; October 07, 2009 at 09:43 AM.