Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress Thread - Eriador Re-Development

sebsebseb1234's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Progress Thread - Eriador Re-Development

I think the Arnor Units must look like the Units at the beginning of the first LOTR film.There were lots of Arnor Units in this battle and you can watch them in the Battle for Middleearth 2 Expansion Pack too. There you fight with Agnmar against Arnor.
    Jesus was nailed at the cross, Thor has got a hammer. Any questions?

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by sebsebseb1234 View Post
    I think the Arnor Units must look like the Units at the beginning of the first LOTR film.There were lots of Arnor Units in this battle and you can watch them in the Battle for Middleearth 2 Expansion Pack too. There you fight with Agnmar against Arnor.
    These were from the war of the last alliance, about 3 000 years from the time of the mod. The modders may use them for ideas, but I think it'll be wrong to directly use them for Arnor. The ones DG has done already look fantastic.

DG hasn't shown us any Arnor units yet has he?

Unless the Greenway Guard is Arnor

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Heraclius View Post
    DG hasn't shown us any Arnor units yet has he?
    no. he hasn't. If I understood right Arnor Soldiers would be made later

btw would be nice to see some new riddles

I'm looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    no. he hasn't. If I understood right Arnor Soldiers would be made later

btw would be nice to see some new riddles
    I've been extra busy but have some stuff that I can't wait to show but will make poor puzzles.

Yarrum's Avatar Ducenarius

You know, you could just give us the complete picture, no strings attached ...though that wouldn't be as much fun now would it?

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
    These were from the war of the last alliance, about 3 000 years from the time of the mod. The modders may use them for ideas, but I think it'll be wrong to directly use them for Arnor. The ones DG has done already look fantastic.
    Thats right. The units really look fantastic and I only want to say that the new units must look a bit like the "real" Arnor units. Because you must see that this is new ARNOR.

Miles

Just a question...

Will it be relatively intuitive to the player as to what they have to do to form Arnor?
    I ask because I've played certain games (*cough* Europa Universalis *cough*) where you had to know the intricacies of the event file to know exactly what you had to do to play your country optimally, otherwise you put yourself at a serious disadvantage by doing things that seem at first to be natural but don't trigger the best scripts. Complex scripts are awesome and can add a lot to the game, but you don't want the player to have to read spoilers to have some idea of what they need to do.

I think to build New Arnor you have to build Fornost, Amon Sul, Anuminas on a very high level and you must have the high elves, rohan, and Gondor as allies.

THEMANMAN's Avatar Civis

So DG when Phase 2 is accomplished and Eriador is transformed into the new faction will the new faction still be able to recruit troops from Phase 1?

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    Same faction in custom battles, but once the event occurs the old units are gone. Think Marian Reforms in RTW.

I think to build New Arnor you have to build Fornost, Amon Sul, Anuminas on a very high level and you must have the high elves, rohan, and Gondor as allies.
    And what happens when Rohan, Gondor or the High elves doesn't exist any more?

I would have an other idea for the Arnor event:

In the War of the Ring in the original story Arnor wasn't restaured because Gondor survived and Sauron was defeated. If Gondor still exists and Mordor and all other dark creatures are far away there is no need for the autonomous cities like Bree or Michel-Delving to be united under one kingdom. That is the reason why they haven't build Arnor again in the third age. There was no need.
    But they would be forced to do this if they are suddently in a big danger situation. For example if Gondor and Rohan are defeated and now the dark creatures of Mordor and Isengard attack from the south.
    Therefore it could be a good condition that Gondor and Rohan had to be defeated by Mordor. This is also in an other way logical. What would have happend when the lands of Mordor and Rohan would have fall under the Shadow of Mordor and Isengard. Certainly most people would escape to the northern regions of Eriador. And this displaced persons would bring their armour, they knowledge in trade of war and human power to Eriador. I like such an scenario.
    The world has to become dark before a new Arnor could revive

This is just my opinion, but I would be pleased if you could answer on my idea.

Isildor

Your idea sounds logical in some way but I don't think it is very good in gameplay terms. It would make an event which many players will be longing for to a high degree depending on factors not in the players control (survival of Gondor) and as much as you can influence it it enforces a behaviour which is the opposite of what you should do in lore - i can already see players giving Mordor lots of money to help them defeat Gondor.

By the way I wouldn't trust Sebsebsebs comment too much. As far as I read it, DG only gave some hints that you would have to rebuild something. Where did you get the alliance bit from?

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

People have little idea of what it takes to form states and empires. Two essential elements are needed for a state to form, centralized government with various levels of bureaucracy and developed agriculture, these two elements feed on each other to develop, my take on the triggers for the Arnor event would be to have government and farming buildings well developed in all cities, this would make expansion a setback for the establishment of Arnor. People would have to think strategically on what settlements to take and have just enough military to defend from invaders, this would make a lot of sense because Eriador shouldn't be a expansionist faction.

The only reason that bree and the shire exsisted the way they did is because the rangers wsa fighting and dieing for them. No rangers and they would find life more difficult. Part of the reason for not rebuilding the kingdom is that to reveal that the line of kings still exsisted would bring all of the Sauron focus on eriador.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Totally agreed, Lordyu. I remember Aragorn mentioning that Butterbur Barliman is a fat stupid living a day's road from enemies that would freeze his blood if there weren't Rangers....

Also Gandalf mentions their role in the Counsil of Elrond, and their role is plainly visible after the Grey Company's going to Aragorn, and the coming of teh Isengard scourge....

People, I'm sure DG has the Arnor thing worked out. Instead of discussing this you should be flooding his pm inbox with preview requests. I heard he enjoys that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    People, I'm sure DG has the Arnor thing worked out. Instead of discussing this you should be flooding his pm inbox with preview requests. I heard he enjoys that.
    I think I'll do this. That way if he gets mad, I can blame it on you

jk