Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress Thread - Eriador Re-Development

Default Re: Progress Thread - Eriador Re-Development

Would be a shame though if he lost everything he aquired so far. I guess it would be impossible to transfer traits and ancillaries to the "new" Aragorn?

Ever since reading Unfinished Tales I always thought it would be cool to fight with a Numenorean style army. Cutting to the point, rather than the tin men of Gondor and the south would it be plausible for "pure Dunedain" (yes it sound very Mein Kampfish sorry) to form a bodyguard similar to what unfinished tales describes in the battle of the Gladden fields? This would have to be with the reinvention of Arnor of course, but I was hoping Arnor could hearken back to the Numenoreans in closer detain than Gondor does and maybe have mailed half giant (7ft) phalanxmen for a bodyguard and eschew horses? Or at the very least it would be wonderful to see a good incarnation of the black numenoreans which is a very cool unit. Sorry to be such a fanboy...but that battle description of the Gladden Fields always caught my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes Trismegistos View Post
    Would be a shame though if he lost everything he aquired so far. I guess it would be impossible to transfer traits and ancillaries to the "new" Aragorn?
    It probably would but the "new" Aragorn could simply be given bad ass stats. They wouldn't be the same but at least he wouldn't be starting from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Heraclius View Post
    Ever since reading Unfinished Tales I always thought it would be cool to fight with a Numenorean style army. Cutting to the point, rather than the tin men of Gondor and the south would it be plausible for "pure Dunedain" (yes it sound very Mein Kampfish sorry) to form a bodyguard similar to what unfinished tales describes in the battle of the Gladden fields? This would have to be with the reinvention of Arnor of course, but I was hoping Arnor could hearken back to the Numenoreans in closer detain than Gondor does and maybe have mailed half giant (7ft) phalanxmen for a bodyguard and eschew horses? Or at the very least it would be wonderful to see a good incarnation of the black numenoreans which is a very cool unit. Sorry to be such a fanboy...but that battle description of the Gladden Fields always caught my attention.
    I think it would be peculiar if the new Arnorians would start to eschew horses. The only time we get to know other Dunedain than Aragorn, the grey company, they ride on horses, and I would think the Arnorians started using them long before the fall of Arnor as we at least get to know that Arvedui, the last king, had a bodyguard of riders in his last battle. Besides, "pure Numenorians" will be even rarer than in Gondor. No, I think for "real Numenor" a Second Age submod would be more adaequate.

Not to mention the dubious breeding programs you'd need to implement in order to increase the average height of eriador soldiers...

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Good point.... Breelanders from the same origin with the Dunledings evolving into 7 footers Dunedain....

The Population of pure Numenorians in the late third age was in Eriador not Gondor. Gondors Numenorians intermingled the last third of the TA. The rangers were almost all pure Numenorians. Aragons line was unmingled, and the only taint that could be said came from Arveduis wife. Remember the Kin-strife. For the Dúnedain of the north bree and the shire were not to only place and people to protect.

Actually the peoples in Belfalas and Dor-en-Ernil were still pretty "pure" Numenorians. Also some noble lines like those of the Stewards and those of the Princes of Dol Amroth were mostly of pure blood. Besides, in the north the Dunedain mingled with the local population (mostly men related to the House of Beor and a few Marachians as well) early in the Third Age already.

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

Is it possible to make it to where unit upkeep raises and moral goes down if the army with that unit in it leaves it's native region?

For instance, Hobbit units leave the Shire and go into Bree regions, their upkeep goes up and their moral goes down. This would be realistic considering Hobbits arn't the type to leave the Shire and fight on foreign soil, it would make it inconveniant to make them an offensive force ...

Is it possible ?
    RTR RULES!!!!

Muffer Nl's Avatar Praefectus

Possible through traits and scripts but it would take a lot of processor power...

So I hope the old Arnor cities will start out with no or very little buildings and very very little population (< 100) and that you will need to rebuild these cities and get the population back up? Because as it is now, the Arnor cities in the hands of the "bandits" have a normal population and are no more or less developed compared to other cities in the area.

I think the most canon approach would be to have Eriador start out with these cities, but as has been said elsewhere have them need to spend a boatload of money and a lot of turns to get those cities back up with sizeable population (of the right culture) ... not to mention to keep them from falling into the hands of OotMM. Let's take Tharbad for example, from what I know it was still around in some form (probably ruins) at the time the campaign starts, but with no population at all. The same goes for old cities like Annuminas and Fornost. Like LotRO you could have these cities have a small group of rangers and a tiny population.

I guess Eriador is a bit of a problem in this area as (1) having them as rebels would suck because you'd have elves and dwarves rushing to take hobbit towns (2) small seperate factions (Hobbits and Bree) wouldn't work as they'd have a very limited unit roster and would probably be too weak to stand against a serious assault from Isengard or OotMM
    -Freek
    Middle-earth Center admin

A must-happen change is that Eriador has no royalty, they should be like the teutonic order in that regard

Th royalty is the Line od Isildur. Remeber Both of Aragons Parents is of royalty.

For Eriador a "Teutonic" family tree might be fitting. For Arnor a "royal" family tree is absolutely necessary.

Would be really nice if that would be possible. But I doubt it.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

I'm really looking forward to this new faction. Great stuff DG. Have some rep.

The work with rhun was excellent,now I have the hope that dg does a work with the same quality with eriador.
    Though in the preview,the militia units have some helmets and shields very medieval,It must to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anibal at portas View Post
    The work with rhun was excellent,now I have the hope that dg does a work with the same quality with eriador.
    Though in the preview,the militia units have some helmets and shields very medieval,It must to be changed.

I don't think so. Thats not how things are done here. You can suggest things, based on sound reasoning. But you most certainly cannot demand things. Keep it up and I will have this thread locked. Everyone else who has been behaving can blame YOU for that when it happens.

Hello,
    I really looking forward to this new Eriador and I like this units very much, especially the Arnor units , but I have an idea concerning their weapons.

In my opinion it could be a nice detail to see some little dwarven runes on the weapons, because in my opinion a new restaurated Arnor kingdom would buy their weapons from the dwarves. In Eriador were now big, famouse or even good smiths. Iron products were bought from dwarves and the blue mountains were famouse for their iron products.
    Furthermore it sounds a little bit unrealistic that people who never produce huge amount of weapons sudently produce armour and sworts. I mean spears are possible but producing armour for whole armies is something different.

Therefore little dwarven runes could be a nice detail showing were the weapon was produced.

Just a little idea.

+ rep for your Eriador plans

I just can't wait to see the hobbit units. Nothing is more fun than invading Mordor with an army of hobbits. Also, if a hero like Frodo arrives, will he have hobbit bodyguards?