Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Denmark - Information & Discussion

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

SirEyeball's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Denmark - Gameplay Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by valky View Post
    just some 'stupid' question ^^ is it just me and having lots of bad luck or why won't spawn any missionaries for me? (had like 5+ churches random for quit some time while on a rush thru europe)
    I have played several games now and I have yet to see a missionary so I do think something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Edit Is it not a good idea to ask if all of Sons of Dannebrog could be included as it is a finished unit mod for Denmark?
    Edit 2 http://empiretotalwarmods.blogspot.dk/ here are more danish for ETW so you wouldn-t have to do them yourselves and speed up time.
    Last edited by SirEyeball; November 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
    I watch and Learn

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Denmark - Graphics Discussion

I've found the book : "Haerens uniformer i dansketiden (Forsvarsmuseets smaskrift Nr 27)"

Now, I'm searching for this one : "Den Danske Marines Uniformer Gennem Tre Århundreder"

If someone knows where to find it...

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

I don't have them at the moment, but I will look out for them!

About GNW-era Denmark, as of yesterday I own Lars-Eric Höglund's complete trilogy on the Great Northern War, so we probably won't lack info on uniforms from that period.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Wangrin I have that book you are talking about ("Den Danske Marines Uniformer Gennem Tre Århundreder"). I will PM you. Unfortunately it's written in Danish.

I think I sent Flikitos tonnes of information I have on Danish 18th century uniforms months ago but if anyone on the team needs them let me know. I have a GNW Danish uniform ebook by Dan Schnorr containing detailed uniform plates and regulations, most of which are reflected in units in my Denmark mod.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; November 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Herr Doctor's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by ErikBerg View Post
    I don't have them at the moment, but I will look out for them!

About GNW-era Denmark, as of yesterday I own Lars-Eric Höglund's complete trilogy on the Great Northern War, so we probably won't lack info on uniforms from that period.
    If you also need his old "Den Karolinska Arméns uniformer under Stora Nordiska Kriget" (1996) just give me know.

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Doctor View Post
    If you also need his old "Den Karolinska Arméns uniformer under Stora Nordiska Kriget" (1996) just give me know.
    A generous offer, but I'm all set for now.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Wangrin I have that book you are talking about ("Den Danske Marines Uniformer Gennem Tre Århundreder"). I will PM you. Unfortunately it's written in Danish.

I think I sent Flikitos tonnes of information I have on Danish 18th century uniforms months ago but if anyone on the team needs them let me know. I have a GNW Danish uniform ebook by Dan Schnorr containing detailed uniform plates and regulations, most of which are reflected in units in my Denmark mod.
    Thank you very much
    If you can send the book from Dan Schnorr, I'm interesting in too

Two books about Danish artillery :
    • PRAXIS ARTILLERIAE, 1706
      Artilleri håndbok eller lærebok i Artilleri fra 1706 brukt i Norge. Boken er rikt illlustrert med hånkolorerte bilder, og er på 106 sider med mye ny viten om artilleriets beskaffenhet før 1706. Den inneholder konstruksjon av kanoner, lavetter, ammunisjon, kjerrer og vogner. Boken er skrevet av G.W. Storm og er en fotografisk rekonstruksjon av enbok tilhørende Werenskioldske familiebibliotek beroende hus fru Juliane Solbraa Bay, Drammen Lokasjon hylle: FMU bibliotek 623.421 P folio
    • DANSK ARTILLERI ca 1743
      Artilleri håndbok eller lærebok i Artilleri fra midten av 1700 tallet. Boken er håndskrevet og er på 275 sider, med en mengde tegninger med forklarende tekster. Originalen befinner seg på Forsvarsmuseets bibliotek og har følgende lokasjon "Artilleriets bibliotek 1, nr7«

As they are fallen in the public domain, here are links to download them :
    18TH_CENTURY_ARTILLERY_DENMARK_Danish_artillery_18th_century.zip
    Last edited by wangrin; November 22, 2012 at 03:05 AM.

Thanks wangrin.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Fantastic sounds like things are moving after all on this faction maybe my wait won't have to be so long after all?

Edit By the way just read an article in Illustreret Historie and saw that Peter Wessel Tordenskjold was killed in a duel in 1720 by Colonel Holstein. That would mark his death after game start right? So he should maybe be the first Admiral for the Danish Fleet. Whether he gets killed in a duel in game would then be up to the player right? Niels Juel having died in 1697 that is.
    Last edited by SirEyeball; November 21, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
    I watch and Learn

Patrician Artifex

We are collecting documents, this doesn't means we will create units soon.

Work on factions follow those steps :
    1. collecting documents about faction (army organization and uniforms, technological development, economy, etc.)
    2. creating 3 units rosters :
      • 1700-1715 (approximatively the War of Spanish Succession)
      • 1750-1765 (approximatively the Seven Years' War)
      • 1785-1800 (approximatively the French revolutionary Wars)
    3. documenting each unit from the roster with picture (this is necessary to select models (or to create them) and create textures)
    4. creating technology threes (a balance between historical accuracy, gameplay, and other constraints)
    5. creating building chains
    6. creating models needed
    7. creating textures
    8. creating pack (db tables, esf, etc.)

UNIT ROSTER :
    Unit roster is not a copy-paste of the <faction> army organization as it is not possible to represent each unit.
    Unit roster is a synthesis of the army organization, composed of representative units and being historically accurate. Not an easy tack and sometime difficult choices.
    You can look at French and English rosters to have an idea of what I means.

TECHNOLOGY THREE :
    Each faction or, at least, each group of faction, will have its own technology threes.
    They will depend of the "historical" development when possible.
    Military techtree need absolutely 2 "reform" technologies (from early to mid and mid to late rosters)
    Artillery techtree need 1 or 2 "reform" technologies
    Philosophy techtree is divide into 3 categories : natural philosophy (sciences), social philosophy (political and social development) and economy (economy and finance).

BUILDING CHAINS :
    Each faction will have, at least, its own military and government building.

Where people can help, is to :
    1. collect documents
    2. proposing and arguing your choice for the unit roster (but it is the I.S team that finally decide what to do)
    3. proposing technology and/or technology tree, always arguing (but it is the I.S team that finally decide what to do)
    4. proposing and arguing buildings or building chains

It is particularly important to argue your proposition or choice, if possible using historical materials/documents, etc.

I would be most grateful if someone from IS could design and build a technology tree for usover on Colonialism 1600AD.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Patrician Artifex

I understand this is probably a bit extravagant proposition but I see no any other possible easy way to fix the Danes speaking Swedish in game (and this is really very strange). Perhaps it is possible to change the basic language of the Danish faction in game to German? Historically it was the language of the Royal court (in combination with French until the 19th century), Danish and (naturally) Holstenian aristocracy and part of nobility. Considering that historically lots (if not majority sometimes) of the Danish generals and officers were recruited from Schleswig, Holstein and Oldenburg I think this would be at last more logical for them in game speak German instead of Swedish. Same with intellectuals (scientists, clergy agents etc). As I said this is not ideal solution but in my opinion it is much better than modern Swedish for the 18th century's Denmark-Norway.

Same also applies for Courland speaking Russian (!). Seriously please change it to German. Of course the duchy was closely related to Russian monarchy during the 18th century but this has nothing to do with the language of the army and nobility. This would be really great if you could fix these vanilla oddities finally.
    Last edited by Herr Doctor; November 27, 2012 at 08:34 PM.

Is it not possible to port sound files from other TW games? Kingdom TW has a Danish faction and the few words actually spoken can be used for the Danish faction here if it is possible to Port that is.
    I watch and Learn

Having a lot of fun playing as Denmark in this mod, the Landsodalter militia are cheap an plentiful and stand up well as line infantry. My usual strategy is to maintain the alliance with Poland and Russia at all costs. Take out Sweden in the first few turns, then invade the British isles via Scotland and try to destroy Great Britain by about 1720 (Long Campaign) Then the world is yours for the taking! I try and avoid getting involved in Germany until my economy is booming.

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

Found an interesting resource:
    http://www.arkeliet.net/cannons/cann...rier_color.htm

This map details the gun carriage colours of various branches of the Danish military from 1628 to the 20th century. The artillery categories read: Fortress artillery, Naval artillery, Siege artillery and Field artillery. Only the last three categories are of interest here. From the chart we learn that:

- The Danish navy painted their gun carriages red with yellow iron fittings between 1628 and 1814
    - Siege artillery in the army was painted the same red and yellow between 1664 and 1764, when the yellow was replaced with black
    - Field artillery in the army was painted the same red and yellow between 1664 and 1764, when this was replaced with "pearl gray" with black iron fittings

The red and yellow colours are the colours of the house of Oldenburg, hence its significance. The text below the map says that according to Tøyhusmuseet in Copenhagen the proper shades of red and yellow are cinnabar red and chrome yellow. Pearl gray is described as having been a light blue-gray colour.

Den danske hærs uniformer i 1700-tallet

Dette er den første samlede danske fremstilling om hærens uniformer i 1700-tallet - en periode der var kendetegnet ved de karakteristiske røde kjoler og trekantede hatte. Uniformshistorie er normalt uendelig kompliceret og fyldt med utallige forandringer og undtagelser. Den danske hærs uniformshistorie er ingen undtagelse, og hovedårsagen, til at der ikke tidligere er skrevet en samlet fremstilling, skal da også findes heri. Med dette hæfte gives imidlertid en kort og let tilgængelig oversigt over et omfattende og detaljeret emne. Bogen indeholder et væld af spændende billeder, hvoraf de fleste aldrig tidligere har været gengivet.
    http://www.museumsbutikken.dk/defaul...406&load=main#

Some very nice historical sources on the 18th century's Danish uniforms from the Danish State Archive:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/staten...7632692074549/

Default Re: Denmark - Information & Discussion

NOTE THAT THE FOLLOWING POSTS ARE FOR IS: RISE OF THE REPUBLIC (LATE CAMPAIGN 1783 - 1804)

Privy Councillors:

Ove Høegh-Guldberg (born Guldberg) (1 September 1731 in Horsens– 7 February 1808 in Viborg) was a Danish statesman, historian, and de facto prime minister of Denmark from 1772 to 1784.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Count Andreas Peter Bernstorff (28 August 1735 – 21 June 1797), also known as Andreas Peter Graf von Bernstorff, was a Danish statesman and politician. He was a Danish minister, father of Christian Günther von Bernstorff, and a guardian of civil and political liberty. In 1773, Bernstorff was appointed Minister of Foreign Affairs and his real Danish career began. In 1780 he concluded a League of Neutrality with Russia and Sweden, a great foreign political triumph. At the same time he concluded a special agreement with England that secured Danish trade. A deep but temporary Russian dissatisfaction with the treaty, however, was exploited by his Danish rivals, and in November 1780, he was dismissed by Guldberg. Bernstorff was for second time made Minister of Foreign Affairs in May 1784, and that opened his real golden age. Until his death, he was in reality “prime minister” of Denmark, the leading man of the cabinet by whose advice the Prince Regent was normally guided. He was also temporarily the President of Danish Chancellery (Home Office) in 1788-89. A loyal supporter of Danish absolutism, he was, however, in many ways a liberal by nature and the relative freedom of the press of this period was probably due to his wishes. Bernstorff is still considered one of the great Danish statesmen of the 18th century. He was succeeded by his son.

Count Christian Günther von Bernstorff (April 3, 1769 – March 18, 1835) was a Danish and Prussian statesman and diplomat. He was educated for the diplomatic service under his father's direction. He began his career in 1787, as attaché to the representative of Denmark at the opening of the Diet of Sweden. In 1789, he went as secretary of legation to Berlin, where his maternal uncle, Count Leopold Friedrich zu Stolberg, was Danish ambassador. His uncle's influence, as well as his own social qualities, obtained him rapid promotion; he was soon chargé d'affaires, and in 1791 minister plenipotentiary. In 1794, he exchanged this post for the important one of ambassador at Stockholm, where he remained until May 1797, when he was summoned to Copenhagen to act as substitute for his father during his illness. On the death of the latter (June 21), he succeeded him as secretary of state for foreign affairs and privy councillor. In 1800, he became head of the ministry. He remained responsible for the foreign policy of Denmark until May 1810.

FINANCE MINISTERS:

Ernst Heinrich lensgreve von Schimmelmann
    (4 December 1747 in Dresden - 9 February 1831 in Copenhagen) was a Danish-German count, politician and son of Heinrich Carl von Schimmelmann. He studied among others national economy abroad and held a number of posts in the central government, but was dismissed by Ove Hoegh-Guldberg in 1783. In 1784 he participated in the coup against Hoegh-Guldberg and was appointed finance minister. He held it till 1813 when he became prime minister. Schimmelmann worked for an end to the slave trade was put into effect 1792. There was no prior limitations of slave imports, and the state to provide cheap loans for the purchase of slaves. His views were followed. Schimmelmann's family was the 1700s Denmark's richest because of sugar imports from the Caribbean. The family dominated the economic life of Denmark. In 1790 he received the Elephant (Danish: elefantordenen) for his efforts in numerous commissions and directors.

Chief of Justice of the Supreme Court:

Jørgen Erik Skeel (February 4, 1737 at Nordborg Slot - January 11, 1795 in Copenhagen) was a Danish titular prime minister. In 1770 he advanced to the second finansdeputeret and appointed also as member of the Executive Board of the Foundation ad usus publicos, just as he at the end of the same year became a member of the following Gehejmestatsrådets repealing reduced advisory "Konferens", however, only came to deal with financial matters. He was also in 1770 a member of the commission to investigate the causes of Bornholm outbreak of discontent with different taxes. Already in May the following year removed, however, he Struensee from his office and had to take over the post of prefect of barrels County; but immediately after hofrevolutionen 1772 he was called back to the capital, was Deputy of Finance College and head first for the Danish, later for the Norwegian chamber as well as the new member as well of Over Cats Directors as the Executive Board of the Foundation ad usus publicos and also served for some months as Director of Øresund Customs House. In addition, he received the order to become a member both of the commission, who treated the divorce proceedings between the king and queen, and of the commission to investigate the Struensee Regiment came changes in legislation and administration. It was not long before he was less favored by the new rulers at court, whose conduct he is by no means exclusive admired, but sometimes even outspoken spoke out against. He removed therefore already at the end of 1772 again from the capital and had to take over landdrostiet in Pinneberg, where he remained until 1784 when, after the crown prince's takeover of the government beskikkedes to prefect in Akershus Diocese and prefect in Akershus County. Conditions in the few years he worked here, was by no means easy, because part was the relationship with the Swedish neighbor tense, partly ruled that no small fermentation among commoners in southern Norway, and Skeel was even a member of the commission, which in 1786 was reduced to investigate the complaints made to the local embedsmænd-, but he managed, however, both for his duties, particularly lively interest in Norway's emergence as by his personal appearance to make himself greatly revered and held in which, by his departure after he was appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court in 1788, received the most unequivocal testimony. The post of Chief Justice, he did not actually hold, for before he could taken over, he was appointed in 1789 to the prime minister and first deputy of the West Indian-guineiske Interest and General Customs House. In 1790 he was also a member of the extraordinary Finance Committee, of Canal Commission and the resistant Cattle Health Commission and in 1791 by the Ernst Heinrich von Schimmelmann behest Commission established regarding the negro trade's abolition. He died suddenly in Copenhagen in January 1795.

Christian Colbjørnsen (29 January 1749 – 17 December 1814) served as the Chief Justice of Denmark-Norway from 1802 until 1814. He became a key official in Denmark and Norway. He set clear traces in the work of the Danish peasant reforms 1786-88. He was a leading force behind much of the legislative work that Danish Chancellery initiated in 1790s. He has also been of great importance in shaping the Supreme Court's role in the Danish-Norwegian history in the early 19th century. From 1773, he served as lawyer and he was chamber attorney from 1780-1785. From August 1786, Colbjørnsen was secretary of the Rural Commission (Landbokommisjonen), a Danish committee appointed by then-Crown Prince Frederik, Regent of Denmark. The purpose of the Commission was to develop proposals for improvements in agriculture and set up clear guidelines for the relationship between landlords and peasants farmers. In 1788 he was appointed president of work for the Chancellery and had great influence on Danish legislation. From 1802 until his death, Christian Colbjørnsen served as Chief Justice for the Supreme Court (Da. Højesteret, Nor. Høyesterett) located in the Danish-Norwegian capital, Copenhagen.

MINISTERS OF THE ARMY:

Hans Henrik von Eickstedt (July 14, 1715 - August 13, 1801) was a Danish officer. Eickstedt 1732 grain at 5. Jutland cavalry regiment, 1737 Lieutenant Commander at the 2nd Jutland cavalry regiment, 1738 ritmester, 1746 Major, 1754 Lieutenant Colonel, 1759 Colonel, 1766 Chief of the regiment, now called sjællanske Dragoons, and 1769 major general. Eickstedt was at this time the rising sun in the army. From both camps had the lead in the political drama that is now soon to start playing, eyes turned to him as a man, one shown may seek to protect itself. He was overwhelmed with flattery, which awarded him a large monetary reward, and he was appointed the same day, the revolution took place, or in the near future then the white knight (Motto: "God, king and country faith"), prime minister, general of the cavalry, Commander of the Royal Guard on horseback, commander in Copenhagen, deputy of Generalitets- and Kommissariatskollegiet. In 1773 he was appointed Knight of the Elephant. 1777 style led his troops in the supervisory commission at the Royal Theatre, in 1783 he became a member of, the Bank Board. On April 4, 1784, Eickstedt was handed a royal letter in which he was first complimented for merit and was appointed chamberlain, dismissed from all his offices and in concessional terms banished from court.

Frederick "Fritz" Christian Skeel (November 26, 1735 at Nordborg Castle - April 11, 1798 at Mullerup) was a Danish landowner and privy councillor, brother of Andrew, Jørgen Erik and William Mathias Skeel. He was the son of the privy Holger Skeel and wife born Baroness Güldencrone was 1752 grain réforme in life guards on horseback, studied at Soro Academy, were 1755 serving at the Garden was in 1757 karakteriset and 1759 really lieutenant, 1763 Major à la suite in Schleswig Kyradserregiment , 1764 squadron commander, in 1772 sekondmajor, but got the same year resigned from the army. Skeel was 1773 chamberlain, 1780 White Knight, 1782 cartridge for Roskilde nobles Jomfrukloster and 1792 Privy councillor.

Johan Bülow (July 29, 1751 in Nyborg - January 22, 1828 at Sanderumgard) was a Danish Lord Chamberlain. He was educated at Soro knightly academy and had a career in the military. He participated as one of the ringleaders of the coup April 14, 1784 and was then appointed Marshal by the crown prince. He was made Commander of the Order of the Polar Star in 1787, privy councillor 31 July 1790, and he was named "really Guild Secretary" (Danish: "virkelig Ordenssekretær") november 30, 1792. He was dismissed from his posts in June 1793.

Last edited by Cro_Hunger999; January 05, 2017 at 11:52 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast