Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Sweden - Information & Discussion

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Default Re: Sweden - Graphics Discussion

If anyone needs help putting custom marines/marine officers on ships just let me now. I have experience in this area. From what I read above it sounds like generic line-infantry would do, which for the early period would mean of the style in Danova's Poltava mod which he agreed a while back to let me use stuff from.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    Excellent photographies, thanks you very much ErikBerg

I think the late French hussar model I create, based on the awesome model from DaNova should fit perfectly for Swedish hussars
    My pleasure!

Yes, I think so too! It is a very fitting model indeed, all that is needed is a colour change, and it is done!
    Last edited by ErikBerg; January 02, 2013 at 01:01 PM.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

I'm sure help will be wellcome Geronimo2006

WIP : Swedish late officer
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Default Re: Sweden - Gameplay Discussion

@dacder
    That was probably Narva, as mentioned.

Of course, while the Russians had a numerical advantage, Peter's army had some serious systemic weaknesses at that point. Like the fact that his recruiting method for officers was basically hiring anybody who showed up in Moscow claiming to be from a Western military. And most of his soldiers were raw, untrained, recruits.

The Russians did much better at Poltava, when these issues were addressed

@Geronimo2006
    I know that, in the case of Russia, partisans/halberds/whatever you want to call them were not removed from service until 1800 or so, albeit by then they were only in the hands of NCOs. Actual pike units were mostly gone by the end of the Great Northern War, but both Sweden and Russia issued pikes to reserve and militia units up until the end of the Napoleonic Wars, although as far as I know none of those units actually saw combat with those weapons.

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

Can't wait to see some nice colours on that model, wangrin.

Meanwhile, some thoughts on the Swedish flags!
    The Swedish state and naval flags don't need changing, as the two are correct as can be. The naval flag should be three-tounged, but since that is impossible with naval flags, it is best to leave it as it is. The pennant, though, should be changed to this:

As for the land battle flag, I've got a suggestion:

This would be appropriate, as it is an actual "Livfana", as it is called. It is basically the Swedish version of the King's Colour flag used by Great Britain.

Too make a truly generic land battle flag, I suggest that the flag is kept this way, with the lions and coat of arms, but replacing the little mini emblem in the upper inner corner with four crowns, as seen in this flag:

I apologize for the painfully small size.
    With these crowns in the corners of the flag, and the lions and crowned coat of arms of the first pic, the end result would be awesome and historically accurate!

As for the coat of arms, I've got a nice, large pic right here:

Last edited by ErikBerg; August 16, 2011 at 05:40 AM.

Patrician Artifex

You can find some Swedish regiments' flags on Kronoskaf

Something like this, maybe ?

About naval flag, it could be possible to have a three-tounged one, using alpha channel like this :

White area should be invisible in game.
    Last edited by wangrin; August 16, 2011 at 03:39 PM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

Kronoskaf is centered around the Seven Years' War, so the regimental flags there are from the 1750s. The one I posted was from around 1700, which is why I felt it was more appropriate (also, it is from a book about uniforms and regimental flags during the Great Northern War, whose name escapes me). Another factor was the coat of arms in the flag, Charles XII was of the house of Palatine-Zweibrücken, and their coat of arms is the one I posted. The coats of arms on the flags on Kronoskaf are of the house of Holstein-Gottorp.
    I feel that if one wants to have the flags properly historically accurate, so that the flags are what they were in 1700, my suggestion would be the most logical.
    The reason I wanted the regimental flag to be as generic as possible with crowns in the corners is because I'm quite reluctant to have a real regimental flag for all units (cavalry waving an infantry regiment's flag strikes me as odd). This was also Spanky's idea when he made his Realistic Flag Set, I believe.

Spanky also said during the making of his mod that transparency doesn't work with naval flags, which is why I said it is impossible. I assumed it was still the case.

Just to illustrate, this was my idea:

You'll have to excuse the extreme MS Paintyness, the crowns in the corner would be slightly bigger.

Another solution could be to make it supergeneric, to remove the three letters and the coat of arms of the house of Palatinate Zweibrücken, so that only the coat of arms of Sweden was there, that way it wouldn't be tied to any royal house.
    Sort of like this coin (large pic, beware):

Last edited by ErikBerg; August 17, 2011 at 08:49 AM.

Patrician Artifex

The "regimental flag" need to be based on colonel flags to be as generic as possible.
    It is possible to use the flag I posted above as a base if I :
    • change king's coat of arms in flag center, using the ones you posted above ;
    • remove the red lion ;
    • add C R S letters ;

Are you sure that crowns in corners are really needed ?
    Or maybe I could add 3 crown on each corner ?

About naval flag, it's a shame if tranparency doesn't work on

I've a book about the Great Northern War with flags pictures :
    The Great Northern War 1700-1721, Colours and Uniforms Vol.I. Written by Lars-Eric Höglund and Ake Sallnäs. Acedia Press, 2000.
    The Great Northern War 1700-1721, Colours and Uniforms Vol.II. Written by Lars-Eric Höglund and Ake Sallnäs. Acedia Press, 2000.

The first is about Swedish troops, the second one is about Russians.

SOME SWEDISH FLAGS FROM THE GREAT NORTHERN WAR
    Last edited by wangrin; August 17, 2011 at 02:07 PM.

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    The "regimental flag" need to be based on colonel flags to be as generic as possible.
    It is possible to use the flag I posted above as a base if I :
    • change king's coat of arms in flag center, using the ones you posted above ;
    • remove the red lion ;
    • add C R S letters ;

Are you sure that crowns in corners are really needed ?
    Or maybe I could add 3 crown on each corner ?
    Ah yes, I of course meant the colonel flag! Sorry, it got lost in translation

Your suggestion sounds interesting! It sounds like it would be pretty cool with three crowns in each corner, yes

Patrician Artifex

Something more like this, perhaps ?

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

Oh yes, it's great! are you going to add the C R S letters or is it the final product?

Patrician Artifex

sebbodunder's Avatar Laetus

Hi guys, just wanted to ask a question and give a proposal if possible .

ErikBerg got pretty much the most stuff covered, the things I would like to see is the Yellow Hussars Established 1761.

Gula (Wrangelska) husarregementet

The guy standing to the right in black and yellow .

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.p...e=Gula_Hussars

These would be of 6 squadrons.

Or would it be to complicated if you want historical accuracy due to the fact that they got mashed together with the Blå (Putbusska) husarregementet 1766. And just became the Hussarregemente?

I just think they look so badass in the Black/Yellow.

//

Sebastian.

=Prince Nuada='s Avatar Semisalis

Can we get a new unit roster in the first post please?
    Cheers.

РОССИЯ | PREUßEN | ÖSTERREICH

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

Edit: On a second thought...
    Last edited by ErikBerg; September 16, 2012 at 05:24 AM.

It would be awesome if someone could upload some gameplay too show Sweden ingame

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

Attached is an excerpt from a document showing Swedish military hairstyles for the early period.
    From left to right they are officer, NCO and private.

The following are 32 Swedish generals who obtain the rank of field Marshal in the 18th century.
    They are not in order

Group 1

From left to right/ top to bottom

• Adam Ludvig Lewenhaupt
    • Avid Horn
    • Axel Sparre
    • Baron Axel Gyllenkrok
    • Baron Henrik Magnus von Buddenbrock
    • Augustin Ehrensvard
    • Carl Gustaf Creutz
    • Baron Goran Silfverhielm

Group 2

• Carl Gustaf Rehnskiold
    • Baron Brendt Otto von Stacklberg
    • Carl Gustav Greve Morner Af Morlanda
    • Carl Gustaf Ducker
    • Count Erik Dahlbergh
    • Charles Emil Lewenhaupt
    • Count Carl Gustaf Roos
    • Erik Sparre af Sundby

Group 3

• Brendt Otto von Stacklberg, jr.
    • Georg Bogislaus Stael von Holstein
    • Georg Lybecker (I think he is finish)
    • Fredrik Axel von Fersen (Statesman & General)
    • Count Adam Ludwig Lewenhaupt
    • Carl Armfeldt
    • Frederic Wilhelm Hessenstein (General & Politician)
    • Johan August Meijerfeldt, jr.

Group 4

• Wrangel Karl Henrik Ugglan
    • Mathias Alexander von Ungern Sternberg
    • Samauel Gustaf Stierneld
    • Gustaf Adam TaubeHugo Johan Hamilton
    • Otto Wilhelm von Fersen
    • Johan Christoffer von During
    • Magnus Stenbock

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

I've actually begun to compile a list over Swedish generals, mainly to determine what generals should be present at game start and their location and, if possible, their traits.

Preliminary findings suggest the following placement of generals in 1700:

Saint Petersburg: Otto Vellink (1649-1708) - General of the cavalry and Governor-General of Ingria and Kexholm 1698.
    Riga: Erik Dahlbergh (1625-1703) - Field marshal 1693, Governor-General of Livonia 1696-1702. Military architect.
    Åbo: Carl Gustaf Armfeldt (1666-1736) - Adjutant-General of the Finnish army corps in 1701, commander of the same in 1713 (major general?). Lieutenant general in 1717, general of the infantry in 1735.
    Scania: Carl Gustaf Rehnskiöld (1651-1722) - Major general of the cavalry in 1696, lieutenant general and governor of Scania in 1698. Field marshal 1706.

Dahlbergh might be a bit old for an in-game general. A replacement could be Carl Gustaf Frölich (1637-1714) - Governor of Riga 1700-1706, lieutenant general 1700 and general of the infantry in 1704.
    Last edited by ErikBerg; October 22, 2012 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikBerg View Post
    I've actually begun to compile a list over Swedish generals, mainly to determine what generals should be present at game start and their location and, if possible, their traits.

Preliminary findings suggest the following placement of generals in 1700:

Saint Petersburg: Otto Vellink (1649-1708) - General of the cavalry and Governor-General of Ingria and Kexholm 1698.
    Riga: Erik Dahlberg (1625-1703) - Field marshal 1693, Governor-General of Livonia 1696-1702. Military architect,
    Åbo: Carl Gustaf Armfeldt (1666-1736) - Adjutant-General of the Finnish army corps in 1701, commander of the same in 1713 (major general?). Lieutenant general in 1717, general of the infantry in 1735.
    Scania: Carl Gustaf Rehnskiöld (1651-1722) - Major general of the cavalry in 1696, lieutenant general and governor of Scania in 1698. Field marshal 1706.

Awesome,... I try looking up Swedish naval officers, but I have not had any success.

It seems your research on the units are near complete. Have you started creating the units?

----