• Horse Guards
    • general
    • Colonial Infantry
    • sepoys
    • VOC units
    • as well as 3 artilllymen skins
    • as well as 2 musicians and 2 officers

The Republic of the Seven United Netherlands

Economically speaking, the Republic has never been better. She possesses the first Stock Market in Amsterdam, and the largest Navy in the world. She has broken the Portuguese navy's stranglehold on the Indian Ocean and the Orient. She boasts an army that should not be possible for a state her size. She is riding the crest, finally realizing the fruits of her labors in the Golden Age.

All of this comes at great cost, however, and it is impossible to maintain such growth indefinitely. Sooner or later the bubble will burst, and she will be overtaken by the English in naval might, and by the French in military.

Those with the eyes to see already know this. They have seen the signs. They know also that the key to their future lies in expansion on the continent. But expansion means war, and expansion in the only logical direction, Flanders, means war with both France and Spain.

Has the time come to take the fight to the Catholics? There are many who say it is, that the military has never been more ready, and to wait will only allow France the time it needs to catch up. But there are others who advise caution. They reply to their blood-thirsty brethren that while it is true the Dutch military has never been more ready, is it yet ready enough? France has the potential to be a continental superpower, as does Spain. Can the Republic truly hope to match their combined might? Probably not. The plans require English support. And will England so readily agree to war with France and Spain both, a war of naked aggression on the part of the Seven Provinces?

Enough. It is time. The dice are cast. Flanders waits.

Key Gameplay Elements

1. Diversity - the Republic's vast wealth enables it to not support its own national military with foreign units, but rather to rely upon them. This creates a unique situation, as each has its own method of warfare, and the Dutch have done little to standardize them.
    2. The Bubble - The Provinces are riding the crest, both economically and militarily. Due to Maurice of Nassau's influence, they have already incorporated firing drills into their military (and those of their mercenary employees) that other nations will only see and realise the potential of much later, if at all.

So, as far as just straight firing drills go:

• Dutch Infantry = Average. They get Platoon Fire but they're not so accurate.
    • Scottish Infantry = Strong Melee, much like Grenadiers. The difference is that the Scottish are not Grenadiers, and don't use bayonets. They use swords, and as far as straight melee stats go they are better than Grenadiers. But they don't get access to square formation either. So in a fight against infantry, you might want to use the Scots. Against Cavalry, probably not.
    • Swiss Infantry = Average melee (the same stats as regular Line). They have the best projectile and so are more accurate than any of the Line units, including the other Foreign ones, but they don't fight with Platoon Fire.
    • Waldeck Infantry = Average melee. They are accurate and have Fire and Advance. They are the only unit in the game to have this drill, so far.
    • Walloon Infantry = Poor melee. They have Platoon Fire, and are more accurate than regular Line.

Dutch Cannons are notoriously average, and follow the 3-, 6-, and 12-lber designations common throughout most of Europe.

Dutch Howitzers, on the other hand, are unique. They not only boast the smallest howitzer of any European faction (the Coehorn) but also the largest (16-lber). The Coehorn Howitzer has a 4 2/5-inch caliber (112 mm) and uses the same-sized shot as a 12-lber. The 16-lber Howitzer, on the other hand, possesses a massive 7 1/2-inch caliber (190.5 mm) and fires the same size shot as a 42-lber cannon, which is used nowhere in Europe except on the largest 3-deck Ship of the Lines.

Note that although the 16-lber Howitzer's size designation makes it seem like it isn't much bigger than a 12-lber cannon, the designation is based on a completely different principle. Whereas a cannon's designation is based on the weight of a cast-iron ball that is capable of being fired by the gun, a howitzer (following the Austrian method) is based on stone weight. That is, how large a stone ball is capable of being fired.

New to Imperial Splendour 2.1 is a series of faction-specific Artillery Technologies. These technologies, while in themselves being new to Imperial Splendour, also introduce a new gameplay mechanic: unit obsolescence through technology. That is, as technology is researched the player/faction will receive access to new units, and old units will be taken away.

Artillery Technologies specific to the United Provinces:

• Tier 1: Standardization of Calibers - Prior to researching this, the player will only have access to 17th-Century guns, such as the Saker, Demi-Culverin, Culverin, and Mortars. Note that the cannons are buildable at any level of building (although they do gain experience at varying building levels), while the Mortar is buildable at Tier 3 and beyond. The only way to upgrade to the standardized 18th-Century guns (including Howitzers) is through the use of this technology.
    • Tier 3: Adjustable Elevation for Mortars - Believe it or not, most mortars in the early part of this period were fixed at a 45-degree firing angle in their mounts, and the only way to adjust for range was to either increase or decrease the powder charge. This technology enables Mortars to be built that have an adjustable elevation, making the mortar significantly more accurate (although still not very).
    • Tier 4: Horse Artillery - Just like the name sounds. This technology enables the player to build horse artillery.
    • Tier 4: Artillery Reforms - This technology, like Standardization of Calibers before it, is a huge step forward in the player's ordnance capabilities. This technology encompasses a host of real-world advances, such as a turn-screw for adjusting elevation of the cannon, an optic range-finder mounted on the carriage or sometimes on the gun itself, a horizontal boring method of creating cannon (rather than the old method of casting a gun around an empty center) which reduces the "windage" (the gap between the size of a ball and the interior of the gun's barrel) which thereby reduces the amount of gunpowder necessary to achieve the same range which thereby reduces the size/weight of the gun necessary to safely fire any given piece of ordnance, and new lighter carriages to move the guns around. The general in-game effects of this technology are to introduce significantly more accurate and cheaper weapons. This applies to every artillery piece in the player's arsenal, with the exception of mortars.

Last edited by PikeStance; November 24, 2014 at 08:23 AM.

Default Re: United Provinces - Gameplay Discussion

quick question: why would I recruit waalse infanterie when they seem only more expensive and less usefull than line infantry (by stats)?

I feel the diversity in name and uniform excist rather than diversity in units (ehm... yeah :s). A quick explanation what separates units of almost identical stats would be nice, as sometimes the only thing that separates them is a higher tier baracks and additional recruitment and upkeep cost (or so it seems)

Because stats don't tell the whole story. And each one of my units is unique, thank you very much. There should be no uncapped units that are simply superior to their peers in the factions that I design. Every unit has a purpose on the field. If they don't, then I either fix them so that they do, or I remove them entirely.

Alright. As you may know, Imperial Splendour uses different projectiles. This is one of those instances where the differences between units are entirely behind-the-scenes as opposed to all up front.

I gave Platoon Fire to Dutch Line Infantry. However, in order to balance that in the early game I made them not so accurate (which change is not reflected in the accuracy stats) by using a worse projectile.

So, as far as just straight firing drills go:

• Dutch Infantry = Average. They get Platoon Fire but they're not so accurate.
    • Scottish Infantry = Strong Melee, much like Grenadiers. The difference is that the Scottish are not Grenadiers, and don't use bayonets. They use swords, and as far as straight melee stats go they are better than Grenadiers. But they don't get access to square formation either. So in a fight against infantry, you might want to use the Scots. Against Cavalry, probably not.
    • Swiss Infantry = Average melee (the same stats as regular Line). They have the best projectile and so are more accurate than any of the Line units, including the other Foreign ones, but they don't fight with Platoon Fire.
    • Waldeck Infantry = Average melee. They are accurate and have Fire and Advance. They are the only unit in the game to have this drill, so far.
    • Walloon Infantry = Poor melee. They have Platoon Fire, and are more accurate than regular Line.

It is entirely possible, however, that the units are too close to one another and need to be tweaked. I certainly encourage feedback.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks a bundle

How is the UP's artillery when compared to the other european nations?

Fairly average.

One difference is that they have both the smallest howitzer (the 4 2/5" Coehoorn) and the largest (the 16-lber) of any faction in the game. There is no in-between.

It's a shame howitzers are teh suck =(

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

Default Re: United Provinces - Graphics Discussion

Here are some Work-In-Progress shots of the texture work I've been doing for Imperial Splendour lately. Feel free to let us know what you think; constructive criticism is always welcomed!

Walloon Line Infantry
    This unit is most likely going to undergo some model changes (hopefully) in the near future. The standard bearskin cap will be replaced with the cap that's currently on the Polish Guard Grenadiers, so as to make this unit stand out a little more from the other bearskin grenadier regiments. Also, if I'm not mistaken, even though they take on the look of grenadiers, this unit will not actually be able to throw grenades. They just look that way.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Swiss Line Infantry
    The Swiss Line Infantry is different from the Swiss Guard in the sense that it's more like the other mercenary regiments, except slightly better.

Colonial Line Infantry
    The Colonial Line Infantry is the main infantry regiment in the service of the Dutch West-India Company.

Thought I'd post this small update here as well. Beware though: this is all WIP still, so what you're seeing here is no guarantee for the future..

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

But it is an indication of the quality of said future work.

i thought the up revision mod was going to be used? or am i mistaken?
    Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by britishballer View Post
    i thought the up revision mod was going to be used? or am i mistaken?
    Remember the guy who posted on the Russian thread we should get the Glory of the Russian Empire in?

Check what he got as an answer

I made some unit cards for Jarno's units, to fit the skins:

It is: Levy Line Infantry, Line Infantry, Jagers, Scots, Grenadiers, Waldeck Infantry, Oranje Nassau Regiment, Holland Guard, Blue Guard, Sharpshooters, Swiss Guard, Dragoons, Hussars, Mounted Jagers, Cavalry, Guard Dragoons, Carabiners, Guard du Corps, Guard Cavalry

excited for the dutch. will install and play once released. thanks for the best mod ever guys! hopefully mech donald can figure out how to fix bsm and i'm set!

- Napoleon Bonaparte

This is offtopic so I don't want any further talk on it here, but I fixed a version a few hours ago....

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...06#post6086906

looks awesome. Will this be released in the near future? +rep!

yes. The near future.

edited OP with changes for 2.1 proper

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

Another brief preview of a unit that'll eventually be included in Imperial Splendour..

The Oranje-Nassau regiment:

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

i can't wait! they look beautiful

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Updated the first post with new Artillery info.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast