Thread: Some Things That Irk Me

Default Some Things That Irk Me

Just glanced through the confirmed information up top and some things jumped out at me that seemed a bit off(or could be). Just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts on them are.

• Ability to repair minor damage to ships during battle 1

This is a bit vague I know, but smacks of RTS arcade style. I hope by minor, they really mean it. Like plugging up holes or bailing out water/putting out fires. Essentially not much more than what is modeled in ETW. I know the bigger ships had a staff of carpenters and whatnot for repairs at sea, but how much could they do during battle? And will there be "repair ships"? Will the loss of men affect your repair ability?

• Generals more important, now with a morale-boosting aura effect 1
    • Napoleon has special "warcry" ability that boosts nearby allied troops morale 5

These both go together and I'm not sure how I feel about them. "Morale boosting aura effect". I hope that it's not something glowing on the battlefield or something similar, and I'm not sure that it is right anyways. Whatever happened to passive bonuses from morale/dread/command and being able to rally troops, is that not good enough?

Also the "warcry" ability just sounds weird. Did Napoleon ever ride to the front of his troops in a battle and let out a bloodcurdling war cry to improve morale? Just seems goofy and not necessary.

• Selection of generals from a list, each one with his own attributes 1

I suppose this means that if you play Britain the the grand campaign, for instance, that you would pick Wellington over some other British general, and he would lead your campaign? Do these Generals ever improve or get worse? Does Napoleon start out as brilliant and stay that way for the entire campaign? I'm guessing so.

All in all it sounds as if NTW will at once integrate several features "missing" from ETW, and also be a completely different style of game, more individual focus on a short campaign rather than the broad brushstrokes of ETW.

*shrug*

Probably wait until it hits the bargain bin.

Default Re: Some Things That Irk Me

Every ship at least in the Royal Navu back then had a carpenter and in several prominent naval battles like the Java vs. whicheve of the 6 frigates I forget which the US ship sailed out of range for a while to repair the rigging in battle it was sometimes the norm to have to even hoist a new mast and the shot plugs were definetly the norm as soon as theres a leak put a plug in it... You know the warcry thing was in M2TW I think or one of them at least.

Sevasti's Avatar Biarchus
    They tell me it's a regular building but it sways like a house of cards when the wind blows

I guess that aura-thingy will not actually be visible. Just another morale boost for nearby units. All in all I'm not that excited for N:TW, minor campaigns doesn't interest me that much, but I leave the judging aside until a fair judgement can be made.
    Last edited by Astaroth; October 01, 2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: continuity

Et sekund er som et minutt her inne
    Minutt som en time. Time som et døgn
    Og du trur du ser ting å så klart
    Eg seier ikkje ett ord til før eg får en advokat

When you say choosing a general from a list, I think that excludes the campaign. Only for single and multiplayer battles. Not in the campaign, I don't think thats going to happen. And yes, I'm sick to death of people assuming it's going to be bad beacause of one past bad egg.
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Did anyone read how I savaged him about the repairs thingy? I think he is wrong already saving up cash he he

asmorrey1's Avatar Tiro

How can you grumble at the warcry? Ever read any american history? The Confederate 'rebel' warcry was infamous!

About the war cry: have some creativity.... he did in fact do legendary speeches on the battlefield (tough this i am not 100 procent sure except the one to the old guard, but before i am sure) i think its whiny to actually.... wait what is wrong with him going side by side in battle and scream VIVA LA FRANCE, MON GARCONS C'EST NE IMPOSSIBLE PA, CHARGÉE .... my french is toast but you get my meaning

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

I like Pie
    No Seriously, I do

Anyways, I don't see what's wrong with repairing ships and the General rallying his troops...
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/