Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Postumus/Romanus

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Postumus/Romanus

Senator Maro is right, how can we possible lead an Empire if our own homeland is under developed! Every year are profits are decreasing slightly, soon we will not even see an improvement in the size of our treasury, we must act now to build our infrastructure before we are threatened by someone far greater than a small barbarian nation.

How can we possible hold out in a war when we lack the funds to maintain anything or an infrastructure to keep our people happy, how can we possibly represent Rome if all we become is warmongers, if all we do is fight then soon what we have so fiercely fought for will just collapse into one big mess, for we will be torn apart from the inside by an unhappy populace and an infrastructure that can not possibly hold up an empire. Its like trying to hold up a house using only one mere twig!

I personally believe that we must focus on those already under our control, already part of our great nation before we even consider bringing vaster lands and even more vast populations into our domain. An empire is not solely formed by the use of a sword by through the achievements and glories of our citizens. Vast building works such as these would be the type of achievements I am talking of, building a better world for those who look to us for care.

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Of course! Let's invest all we have while there is a war out there! Only because we are winning does not mean that we must not be ready to give more resources to the wars! What you want may very well jeopardize our entire operations in case the wars do not go as planned, just to gain the favour of people who are not even threatening to rise up against the Senate! If anything the regions were we require some populist measures are the provinces!

I assure you the plebs are not just a few people you undervalue them.
    Whilst we are the brains of Roma, they are its life blood and its sword. Let us try going without them fo a while and see how we feel then?

Indeed a small reserve must be kept for any surprises in war but you give those barbarians too much credit. Iberia was crushed, you yourself said it we have nothing to fear of them.
    Carthage are weak and we have heard nothing of the Koiron Hellanon for some time. The only threat are these Seleucids but their base of operations are far from here!

They will send their armies and we will bleed them white. Then we will severe the head from the body and they will fall as all does before us.
    We need have no fear senator.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

ooc could the questor take a look at all cities under Romes control, these are the once in Gaul and North Africa.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Of course, young Festinius, so optimistic...but I will have to ask, what if our men are defeated? What if the mighty Roman armies, those "unvincible" men who you hold in such high regard, die, beaten by the enemy? Then, Senator, we will face a larger problem due to our overconfidence!

I oppose such measure without hesitation, and encourage every other man to support me on this! That is all I will say about this!

Although I agree with the need to start improving the infrastructure of Italy it is also necessary that we keep back enough in reserve to cover, all, possibilities.
    Last edited by -Aquila-; October 01, 2009 at 05:46 AM.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

ooc; Gergovia is part of my provience in the west - so you shouldn't be reporting that, as its my job

ooc: woops, sorry my bad, ill edit that out

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Senators who do you fear?
    The Gauls? They squabble against themselves, they are kept weak and can do us no harm. Other senators have made that claim nigh a year ago, why should it be any different now?
    Do you fear the Seleucids? I have every faith in both our legions and Pro-Consul Dives. Should they breach the east there is no way for them to reach us we have time to prepare.
    Do you fear the Iberians? Those that lay beneath our sandals thanks to the brave Consul Postumus' efforts.
    Do you fear the Greeks? That once great state that has fallen into ruin. Do you honestly believe that in a year they will raise an army with the capacity to go against our great legions?
    Do you fear the Numidians? They have no quarrel with us and for good reason. Their king knows that should he interfere with our affairs he will cast from his throne into the hands of those who would see him torn to pieces.
    Do your fear the slaves who plow your fields senator? Because the aforementioned are those who do this, who bring your drinks, write your notes and provide your more carnal pleasures when you desire it.

The Gods have made us the rulers of a large piece of the world for a reason and their love shows no sign of waning. Our enemies have been at each others throats for so long that they barely have any forces to muster against us, let alone band together to reach us here in Roma. We are as safe here as the Gods are above us. If we invest this year, ports, roads, marketplaces and increased agriculture will provide us with an even greater advantage over the barbaric factions and increased sanitation will make sure the plebs are satisfied. The gain next year would be immense in proportion to this year.

Surely the senate can see the Tribune's point these things must be provided?

ooc: Maybe the Praetor should move that to vote? Just saying

ic:

I have said what I had to say. I think it is not prudent, that we will regret it soon, and that I encourage everyone to say nay to this if we are to vote!

May the gods protect us if that law passes!

A man runs in to the curia, he is yelling of excitement. It was soulinus the old man.

WAR we are at WAR he shouted they have attacked us, i just got in a report of one of my trading partners. The Ptolemae's have ordered an attack on one of romes cities. Rhodos has been besieged.

Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; October 02, 2009 at 01:11 PM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

WHat?! How is that even possible! Our allies, the Egyptians who bring food to this very city, betray us when we need them the most! Outrageous!

Furthermore, why has the Proconsul not reported this to us already?! Is he even aware of this?! (ooc I did it before any of you started! )

A sweaty man stumbles into the curia, then stops to catch his breath. He slowly walks over and hands ascroll to the nearest senator, with the slightest smirk on his face. He gives a Roman Customary Salute, and then marches off.

Greetings Fellow Senators,

Rome has Triumphed! The Illyrian Capital Of Segestica has fallen to Roman Might; it's people enslaved. Our troops fought valiantly, defeating the Illyrian garrison of 700 men. Illyrian Resistance in the region has faded away. To the south, the last Illyrian settlement stands, preparing for ProConsul Dives' final assault. Even is ProConsul Dives' attack were to be delayed or even stopped, by some predicament in the east involving one of his provinces, the Illyrians can barely hold themselves up, let alone strike back at us. They are a Snake without a head, a lion without it's teeth, a Elephant with it's tusks. And all the same, there people deserve to die in the arena.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Casualties of about 90 men occured, compared to the enemies completely being surrounded and annihalated. Senator Marcus Valerii fought as Centurion of one such cohort, fighting bravely and valiantly against the enemy. I shall depart from Segestica, leaving my Second In Command as Govenor of Segestica until a more suitable one can be found. Myself and Senator Marcus hall return to Rome as soon as possible.

I await further orders.

Consul Lucius Armenius Romanus

ROMA INVICTA!

~YATS Info: Lvcius Armenivs Romanvs - 28 (Patrician)~

Winter's Avatar Civitate

It would seem all the world would wish us I'll! Now, senators, let us not be hasty. Perhaps this is the act of an errant admiral? We should send an envoy to the Egyptians and see if they will not accept a ceasefire.

ooc: Basically, we can't be jumping off to Egypt over this. Sink the fleet and get a ceasefire is probably the best course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

You are right tribune, Soulinus said, we can not effort jet an other war. We need to negotiate a ceasefire.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

ooc; i don't want to side track this, but i'm going to be pissed if i spend another two weeks without a budget. so...

ic; Senators we still need to appoint some members, and we must not forget the Quaetors proposals

ooc isn't the questors report up for a vote?
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The Economic plan has passed.

OOC: The vote passed on the economic plan that Winter suggested but I didn't do the questors report, when I asked aquila he said it basically incorporated his report but if you guys want me to put the report up for vote i will.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

OOC: Lets assume it passed with it, we really don't have time to vote for another three days and besides, no one would have voted against it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast