Thread: We have a winner. - Tale of The Week 56

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default We have a winner. - Tale of The Week 56

Congratulations

Legio has won his third victory in ToTW, his enchanting story Home secured this triumph. Well done.

Home
    The boy stood, his knees shivering and his hands fidgeting. He should have stayed home. He should have fought the urge, but no. He just had to leave. And now he was. Here. In the front line.

It's not as if he was a coward under fire. He had been in fights before. Staged brawls in the alleyways, spontaneous punches thrown in crowded taverns. Frantic blows to ward off brigands at night. He could take all those without a second though. But this...this was different. It was too....regimented? Controlled?

Or maybe it was because the boy already knew the outcome of this battle. He knew the opponents he would be facing. No excitement, no well-titted barmaids he had to impress. Only the rugged officer who had dragged him from the street corner. The boy didn't want to impress him, he wanted to run.

He hated these open plains, these flat expanses. He hated the sprawling churches at his back, and most of all he hated the homes of the merchants he had been conscripted to defend. He hated the merchants, too. It was all he could to to restrain himself from breaking and running, from turning tail and attacking his so-called benefactors. He belonged on the streets. Not in a battle line.

The boy would have chuckled if he hadn't been terrified. He had always heard the stories of warriors thinking of their homes and wives before a battle. He had always written it off as that- a story. No true warrior, no true man would think of that. He would think of nothing but killing! Killing....

He looked behind him, straining his eyes to see the part of the city in which he lived. He could just see it in his mind's eye. Filthy. Grimy. Disease-ridden. Crawling with thugs and prostitutes. But it was home.

And as the enemy approached, a tear came to Niko's eye. They were trying to take that home away from him. And they would have to die.

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Default Re: We have a winner. - Tale of The Week 56

Congratulations on the well-deserved win, Legio!
    Alea Iacta Est (The Die is Cast) - Gaius Julius Caesar
    An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great
    We will either find a way, or make one - Hannibal Barca

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Your third and I only have one. Can you share?

Seriously this is worthy. Congradulations.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

Great entry! Obviosuly it won because it was quite like mine, but I won't press that on you.

jokes

Well done - a truly deserved win
    Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Undeserved! UNDESERVED I TELLZ YOU!
    just kidding. Congrats Legio.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.