Thread: The Eagle Standard Volume VII Issue IX

Calvin's Avatar Countdown: 7 months
    Citizen

Default The Eagle Standard Volume VII Issue IX

Letter from the Editor
    What?! You're still here Calvin? Bah! Yes, B. Ward continues to be away so I'm still here guiding the paths of these wayward writers. It seems to have been decided (without the editors knowledge I might add ) that the September edition of the Eagle Standard would be primarily an interview affair. So we have a mighty FIVE, yes FIVE interviews with a whole assortment of different modding teams. Augustus Lucifer is back with shining his opinion on the different cinematic experiences of the Total War series, and Celsius and Junius bring us their impressions of the newly announced Napoleon and Wapath games. I hope you enjoy reading all this more than the team enjoys my weekly 'educational sessions'.

Purely educational I assure you.

So without further ado, it's time to muse, peruse and amuse yourselves over this September edition of the Eagle Standard.

Calvin

Table of Contents

Round Table

Community Competitions

Napoleon: Total War
    Click to view content: 

Napoleon
    Total War
    By Celsius

Well, Empire: Total War, which was released last February, has had some mixed feelings. Some say its the best game of the series, some say it deserves to be thrown in the ocean. With the newly announced Napoleon: Total War, this has some people worried that it will have too many flaws to be enjoyable. But it's Napoleon, so that's good. But some don't like Napoleon and view him as an Antichrist. Others love him for his neat hats. Some like him for starring at you from the box. I don't know, I'm just an internet writer.

(Box Art for Napoleon:Total War)

Anyways, back to the subject. Napoleon Total War. The biggest question on peoples mind is the thing that made Empire so awful for alot of people. The use of Steam. It has not officially been confirmed that Steam will be mandatory, but most people believe that it will be used, which will drive a pretty good crowd away.

(French Hussars vs British Hussars)

Another thing is the system requirements. I played Empire:Total War on the lowest settings possible and even then it kinda lag. But I have a crappy computer so. But the requirements will be the same. Now, a good thing about this game. It will jump over E:TW flaws by a long shot. When you buy Napoleon:Total War and install it, it will upgrade your installed copy of E:TW. Giving your men facial expressions and bumping up smoke and clouds.

(One of the many major battlefields with 1,000+)

Also, there will be 322 unique units. Not for each faction, just in general. So don't think you will be getting French Lancers while playing as the Ottomans or something. You will also be able to throw 10,000 men onto the battlefield. 10,000 possible muskets firing all at once. I love the killing power of it.

(Yes, that is Napoleon himself on that horse)

But the best thing to me. Napoleon Bonaparte, One of the few men to conquer Europe, will be on the battlefield along side his men. This will no doubt give you a huge moral boost to your troops as the French Grenadiers fight to the death for the Empereur! Other major Napoleonic generals will also be able to be put on the battlefield. You can expect Napoleon: Total War to hit shelves, or Steam, in Q1 2010.

Thank you again for reading this article.
    And remember, the ES is brought to you by viewers like you. Thank You.

The Warpath Campaign
    Click to view content: 

Empire: Total War

The Warpath Campaign

Some users were quite annoyed a few weeks ago about CA and Sega's announcement that they would be releasing a completely new stand alone installment in the Total War series less than a year after the release of Empire: Total War. Empire received some criticism for it's poor AI and path finding, as well as being released with some glaring bugs and game breaking flaws, and was labeled as a 'Beta' version. Now it seems that CA have thrown a bone to the community, especially those who are angry about the lack of any kind of expansion pack for the game.

'Warpath' is a new campaign for the game, similar to the Kingdoms campaigns that were released for Medieval 2: Total War. It will feature a new North American map, alongside the Grand Campaign of the original. There will be a few more factions to play as, all Native American, and there will be a new technology tree for these factions. But you can read all about that in the press release.

Many users had a bad experience with Steam for the release of Empire:Total War, and with Warpath being a Steam exclusive, this might further exasperate them. I do not think that there will be a problem; there were many complaints about Steam with the release of Half Life 2, but now it has become the number one platform for the downloading of PC games. Any teething problems that CA experience will surely have been fixed by now, as they will have learned from the problems of their first launch using Steam, much as Valve did.

The actual content of the game is looking interesting. I was a great fan of the Kingdoms expansion, and I can see this as the 'successor' of that. There is not much solid information about gameplay tweaks, if any, though there is a distinct lack of any information, including screenshots, of naval warfare. The Native Americans were not known for their navies or ships, and I think that it will play a minor part, if at all, in this mini campaign. Why is CA so willing to abandon it's biggest feature of Empire: Total War? Most of the criticism that that game received from reviewers was aimed at the naval combat, and I find it odd that CA are not trying to rectify this. This does not leave me entirely confident in the ability of CA to produce as good naval battles as land battles. Naval battles were just as important, if not more so, during the Napoleonic era, so this does raise some early warning signs for me.

It is a great comfort that CA haven't totally abandoned Empire: Total War, they released a patch for the original on the same day that they announced Warpath, and maybe, dependent on the success, or lack thereof, of Warpath, the DLC side of PC gaming might be an avenue which CA will be increasingly tempted to invest more into.

Creative Assembly are also continuing their courting of the American market, one they have struggled in, at least compared to the European market, before the release of Empire: Total War. There are many examples of conflicts in the European theatre which they could have made the focus for an expansion, but they choose a more detailed look at the American continent. This could also be because of the primarily Euro-centric Napoleon: Total War, with which it might be hard to woo an audience more interested in their own country's history than that of Revolutionary France. I do however think that focusing on theatres, and producing mini-campaigns for them, that would not necessarily receive the focus of a stand alone game, is a good one. I am sure there are many on these boards who would be interested in an Indian campaign, with the British East India Company conquering the Sub-Continent.

It will be hard to support two quite similar games, both taking place within a century of each other, both primarily using gun and musket based strategy, and both appealing to the same audience, at the same time. I would think that if CA were to continue producing these mini-campaigns and DLC it would only be to keep interest in the series alive, and those new players who bought Empire: Total War interested in the series, until Napoleon Total War is released early next year. I would think that there may be one or two more add-ons in the pipeline, due to be released before N:TW, so I look forward to seeing if my inkling is true, and possibly having more campaigns to play through. Depending on the number, and success, of these add-ons, we may yet see a retail box on shelves in local game shops in the future.

CA are keeping mum about the exact release date, only promising October 2009, so we might have a wait of up to month before we can see the final product. At the, comparatively, low price of €6.99 it might just be something worth investing in. I am certainly looking forward to seeing how it is received, though considering the experience I had with the launch day purchase of Empire: Total War I, like many others, might be avoiding it before a general consensus emerges about it.

[user]Junius[/user]

Interview with Jarlaxe of Hegemonia
    Click to view content: 

Interview with Jarlaxe (Modding Leader of RTW mod Hegemonia)

Ive been following this mod for a while now, and ever since I have, i've seen some quality work produced by the team. This is one of the few mods which has grabbed my rather fussy attention so I thought i would have the honour of interviewing on of the mod leaders. Let me warmly introduce Jarlaxe.

Q: Many Thanks for letting me interview you and sharing your answers with the Eagle Standard. Could you tell us a bit of information about yourself and how you found out and got involved in the Total war series and modding community.

myself...that would be selfish i think...
    i started messing with text files 3 years ago but didn't got to deep with that...on january this year i started skinning and moddeling...and after 2 months i founded TWC and i made an account .

Q: What is the goal of your mod hegemonia in a brief summary?

fun above all!!!

Q: How historically foccused have you made the mod so far?

as much as we can,there is a lot of research going on from starlightman and a lot that already excisted in the mod,
    we try to focus on the most accurate.

Q: Have you made major modifications to the mod that makes it feel different and unique?

everyone would say yes to such a question!
    the difference is that we are going to have a lots of hoplites,greek factions,a map douple the size of the vanilla,new assasins-spies-diplomats and strat map ships.

Q: We know you've only just picked the mod up again after the old team were unable to cope due to personal/education issues. So was it a challenge to pick up the reigns and sort everything out?

a little bit it was as it is the first mod i'm attempting to release BUT
    i couldn't do anything without Starlightman and Aradan and afcourse
    without the progress the old team made so far.

Q: Care to tell us about your team and their functions in the team?

you can find out this here

Q: Any pictures or images you could give us?

you can find out this also here

Q: Do you have any last words?

no,i'm still very young

Thanks for your time, it was a pleasure interviewing you.

Please take a minute to visit their forums.
    Hegemonia Forum

Some of his Brilliant work

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And Thank you readers for taking the time to read this!

An Interview with Toon Total War
    Click to view content: 

Toon Total War's AWI Mod

Intro Hey Guys, This Issue I shall be speaking about Toon Total War's ETW Mod: Continental, British, Hessian, French ,Spanish and Indian Armies mod. This mod is a total departure from the average ETW unit mod. Not only are units reskinned but dozens of new units are created, all of which are real and historical regiments. In-Game they all have unique clothing from orange facings to polar-bear fur hats. Now this is so in-depth that each unit can only be recruited from a certain area, a new level of realism that Toon and his team have been looking for and has finally been made possible. I have th emod personally and I have to say it is probably my favourite and only constantly used mod on my copy of ETW. I spoke to Toon recently and he gave me an interview and a little but about himself...

Toon Bio I started with Total war games back in 2005, with RTW and the expansions and moved onto MTW2 which i enjoyed for a number of years.

I take an active role in the modding community, and my contributions to my site being solely mod-related. I have worked on several mods as a historian, coder, skinner and modeller, including my current Mod: Continental, British, Hessian, Spanish, French and Indian Armies mods for American Revolution (the mod which I currently work on / http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=244468) and my previous envolvement as StratMap modder with Hegemon: Ancient Wars for MTW2: Kingdoms Expansion.

My own personally released mods have focused on retexturing and creating many new units for the American, British, Spanish, French and Hessian factions, with a specific focus on the American war of Independence period. I have recruited a team and a number of great modders and researchers that have helped me maintain this great mod, without them my work would be only 50% complete.

I study privately Greek and Roman warfare and have numerous books and reference material from this era as this is where my main focus of interest is.

Interview
    1. When did you join TWC?
    Back in August 2005, playing RTW for months on end!!

2. Whats this I hear about you having a feature in this month's PC Gamer?
    Yeah!! i work in Sales and Marketing and have a degree in Media, so i put it to good use and I contacted a few of my old pals in the magazine world and told them what i was up to with running my own mod etc.., PC gamer contacted me as some of there guys actually play ETW and were excited to cover the mod as they use the mod in there own games. I have also made contact with most of the other gaming magazine and website related companies, so watch this space for more free PR coming soon!!

3. Who would you say plays the most important part in your mod?
    Now that is a difficult question and easy question! as the creator i obviously play a very important role as the mod would have never existed, but i have also a great team behind me including gary, officerpuppy, Newman55f9, husserlTW, Kave-In and many other contributors to my mod, and all of them have a very important role to play from modding, skinning, research and coding and without them my mod would be only 50% complete!

4. If you could get ETW Modding tools but had to write a good convincing sentence, what would it be?
    "Give me those bloody modding tools CA" its a bit direct, but i speak for all members within TWC!!

5. Interested in NTW?
    Am afraid not, i am really only interested in pre 1800's, and of course the Ancient Greek and Roman era is where my main passion is.

6. Will you make another ETW Mod once you have made every single unit from the War of Independence?
    Maybe, but i still have a lot to finish with the AWI mod as more troops for all factions are still been considered to be added and various other projects i have in the pipeline. I have had a lot of members approach me to work on various projects and considering 5 months ago i never even knew Photoshop existed!!!
    I would however be very interested in an Ancient Mod for ETW!!!

7. Is it true you support Newcastle? Eugh!
    Yes my friend, and it is good to know that some of the team are also from "Gods Country" like gary and Brigadier Graham!! i have followed the team since i was 7 years old, and have travelled to many countries to watch Newcastle through the good and bad times and I do try to get too as many games as possible, but running my own business can sometimes be very difficult to do all of this.

8. Give us your specs
    Windows XP SP3 32 Bit
    Nvidia GTX 275 896Ram
    Intel Duo Core 2.8ghz Processor
    4GB Ram
    P50Q PRO Turbo Motherboard
    1.5TB Hard Drive
    22x DVD Drive
    I just recently bought the PC for Ł680.00, as you can imagine my fiance was well chuffed!!!!

9. Make a shoutout to someone!
    "CA give me a scroll bar for me units please!!!!!"

Outro and Signoff Alright then, Thats my bit for this issue but I have a few words for you guys, if your English buy PC Gamer Issue 206 and if not download Toon's Mod...So thats it from me guys, Major Darling for ES, signing off..

Extras and Links

An Interview with the team of American Civil War
    Click to view content: 

Hello everyone I am gathered here with a few of the team members of the mod American Civil War, they will be giving us some insight as too how they feel about their creation and possible events as that are to come in the near future. For the readers entertainment there will be pictures

Could you please tell us a bit about your team?

Well, our team consists of 5 members right now, harshman_chris (Scripter and Lead), BarnesBL0278 (Researcher), Hinkel (Skinning), Aradiel (Models and Maps), HusserlTW (Campaign Map).

I am sure TWC is wondering what got you started on modifying games and how did you learn?

harshman_chris: For me personally, I have loved anything to do with games for a long time, so modding games to change those few things that might make it better just fell right into place.

BarnesBL0278: Well, since this is actually my first mod, I'm learning through experience. I joined the mod under the mistaken impression that I actually wouldn't have to mess with the modding, but apparently things such as maps and uniforms require an historian.

Aradiel: I started my modding with the UFO series; I learned a lot by asking questions and reading a lot of tutorials from which lead my first model ever a Glock pistol. Unfortunately the lack of modding support drove me away from there and I moved on to Mount and Blade to improve my skills for Empire: Total War.

Hinkel: I started to mod myself when empire comes out. I tried to edit the skins and tried to make new units with new skins, so my goal was to create some new graphics for the game for using my self. I found out, that some of my skins are requested in the forum and gave a good feedback, so I was looking around to find a cool modding project which need my help and found "the blue and the grey". I making graphics since 6 years now and learned it in school and learning by doing.

HusserlTW: First modding steps were in improving the game for my personal use. The special difficulties of modding ETW, made me come out in public and join the TWC community to this effort

Why would you take on such a project such as this?

harshman_chris: The American Civil War has been a passion of mine for a long time, and when this game came out I knew I wanted to start a team to build a mod for this era.

BarnesBL0278: As for why I'd take on a project like this, that really comes down to a love of the game. We're all here because we love what we do. Aradiel, Chris, Hinkel and myself all pull late nights for this mod, and it really comes down to us just working for a result. We all enjoy our own mod.

Aradiel: Why would you take on a project like this? Initially I wanted to make new ships; the creation of custom made ships like ironclads is still a long-term goal although we cannot make them yet.

Hinkel: I'm interested in the American civil war since 20 years. My dream was always a total war style civil war game. As I mentioned, I found a thread about Chris and his crazy dreams about a civil war mod and after the first release, I joined the team and offering my help.

HusserlTW: I wanted to help the already qualitative work of the mod team to be further completed. My task is mainly to provide the ability of playing it in a campaign game.

What were some of the struggles endured during the creation of the mod?

By far the biggest struggles involve the fact that this is a fairly new game and we have to rely on the discoveries that we or other modders have made.

How accurate is "American Civil War" compared to real history?

Well, as with all games the goal is to be as real as we can be, while still making the game fun and most of all bloody, after all this is Total War.

What do you enjoy most about this mod?

harshman_chris: For the most part the American Civil War is a great piece of history, and there are very few games that cover it compared to other periods in history. Plus for some of us we had relatives who fought on both sides during the war.

BarnesBL0278: I enjoy the whole experience, really, but I'd have to say the most enjoyable part of this mod for me is the game play. I absolutely love the tactics involved in playing this game, and I love the accuracy.
    Chris pretty much gives me a free hand in regards to the historical accuracy, and unless things truly affect balance, the primary goal of the mod is the realism. We're essentially recreating the civil war, and that's a history buff's dream.

Aradiel: I enjoy making battle maps the most, it was hard to figure out how to do it, but now our maps are unmatched in the whole community.

Hinkel: The setting.

HusserlTW: Its original elements like the era, the theme and the historical facts that it is referred to.

Is it possible that we will see another update for the mod and if so would are some of features that could be added or changed?

For sure, the mod is still in its early stages. We are planning on a big update in the near future once we can get a campaign working.
    We are also hard at work on more maps and new models, which will come out at the same time.

What are some possible projects for the future especially now with the new addition to the Total war series Napoleon: Total war?

Well, I think our team is pretty well wrapped up with this project for the time being, hopefully with the onset of NTW, we will be able to learn more about the types of things we can do it the game in terms of modding.

Any last words before this interview come to an end?

Keep an eye out for our next release in the near future, it will be a big one.

Firstly I would like to thank the American Civil War team for their cooperation during this interview and I would like to wish them good luck with the future of their mod.

An Interview with wartotalworldguy of WWI
    Click to view content: 

This month I got to sit down with wartotalworldguy the mod leader of WWI total war for ETW. The interview had no pre written questions, so I made my questions based of his answers and whatever I thought of at the time.

1. Tell us a little about yourself?

Well my mane is Juan. Im 16 years old, and Im still in high school and i live a normal life, except when im here. I live in Puerto Rico and well is a pretty good place.

2. When did you first play a Total War game and when did you decide that you wanted to mod?

I started to TW games since 2004 when RTW came out. I loved RTW cause i was at the time studying Rome's history and well from there i loved the TW series. I decided to mod about the time kingdoms should up. I was playing RTW when i figured why not make a mod(i had seen in here all the mods and all the work and i loved it). I decided WW1 cause i never saw a mod about any world war and most of the people who had the idea well they had failed. Well i decided to take the chance to do it and well it has been a pretty long journey.

3. Your mod being about World War One, can you tell us how you will include machine guns, trenches, and the mighty land ship the tank?

Great that you have asked. Machine guns were sort of new tech in WW1 they were used mainly to hold the attacks of the incoming infantry when the attack on the trench began. We will implement the machine gun as a type of infantry which its gun is going to fire rapidly. The machine gun will be like a sort of cannon in which you can deploy in bipod(usefull in trenches)or not deploy them at all and the infantry will carry the machine gun to the destination the player wants. Its a pretty good way to implement the machine gun cause it gives the player versatility and mobility in the battlefield and well it also gives more of a modern style of combat.

About the Trenches,which is by most why WW1 is remembered, is going to be easy to implement on the new ETW engine. In empire a defending army can use trenches and the infantry will jump over the trench and you get the idea. For our mod we are going to make new trench models that will look more of our mod era, there going to be bigger and both the offensive and the defensive players on the map will be able to deploy them. Thanks to empire's engine we dont have the problem of attacking trench systems because they already have that kind of animations but will change them so that it looks more WW1,more bloody,gloomy and dark feeling that was the WW1 trench. It will be as a technology in the campaign map and youll choose different types of trench and each will be different and its effect on troops. For instance: you can have mud and wood trenches which will be easier and faster to built but the troops will have sickness and all thats stuff while the stone trench will offer more protection but ill take longer and if the supply lines are interrupt then it even going to take longer. Our view on how it will be on the campaign map the trench system we got the idea ,and we are going to implement it,by Stefan one of our mooders. Heres a link about it if you want more info
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...227939&page=43

About tanks well there going to be implemented like an elephant with lots of gunners on the sides. The thing is that the tank will move really,really,really slow and some will shoot bullets other will use cannons. Its a mix between an elephant and a cannon combine with the model of a WW1 tank and woala!!. Because tanks weren't like the one's we use today well tanks are going to be a expensive unit and well tanks the effect of tanks will be more moral than casualties cause in the real war the moral effects of the tank were immense.

4. How historically accurate is WWI Total WAR

Well WW1 will be very accurate as is a mod meant for accuracy. You will have trenches with different models,historical accurate units as well as ships. Players will feel that there in a WW1 environment and you'll see the trench system being implemented. I dont know if we can add blood but if we could we will. We will have bared wire..ect.Is goign to be very historical as i want to teach the people that wars like this cant never happen again.

5. Being historical as you say, will there be technologies that unlock units or events that unlock units? For example the ANZACs were very average soldiers at the start but became the best Allied shock troopers before the war ended.

Hmm good question. Technologies will unlock certain units,and abilities. Historical events wont do such thing only technologies and units wont gain experience only abilities as new guns,new armor,bayonets ect..

6. As ETW has the power to include a full world map, will you?

Yes
    We will include a full world map but not now. For a patch to our mod we might do it but later.

7. Since .variant_weighted_mesh model converter has been released have you managed to get some models in the game, if so can we see?

Well we got one model in game which stefan modded that is our French soldier. Its needs texturing so that it looks with the WW1 clothes ect but yes we are working on some models mostly germans. Will post a preview soon of this units in game.

8. From both my real life job in the games industry and a avid modder I know that modding can be slow and treacherous. How is progress, well progressing?

Well progress with the mod well at the start was slow. Is still a little slow but now were are trying to work more and faster.

9. What is your role in the production of WWI Total War?

Well im the leader of the mod but in terms of role i try to keep the members organize and continue working. I also do a little modeling and some texturing and coding.

10. Will there be any historical generals that stay alive the whole game or is there a problem with the engine so the general can't stay alive for all the turns?

Yes well have does kind but we need to check if the engine allows us.

11. Alright, do you have any questions for me? bet you weren't expecting that!

Yes i have one. I ask you...Why do you decided to interview me about the WW1 mod?

hehe well that back fired, I suppose I thought this is the only real modern day mod that looks like it will be released. Any publicity is good right?

Do you have any last words, before I DESTROY TWC?

hmmm PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME? OR ITS A TRAP!!!

An Interview with SonOfOdin of The Knights of Malta
    Click to view content: 

The Knights of Malta
    An interview with SonOfOdin

I have ever since i first visited Rhodes been an admirer of the knights of St John. Their history is extremely interesting and i never get tired of them. When ETW arrived i had plans to create my own modification called " The Last Knights". The plan was to portray the order and its organisation correctly in the game, and give the player a chance to play as the knights and their vassals. Sadly real life stuff came in the way and i had to scrap the idea. Fortunatly a member here on TWC called SonOfOdin, decided to start a new "knights" project, the modification "Knights of Malta". I had a chat with him recently and i asked him a few questions, here are his answers.

Hey SonOfOdin. Thank you for accepting my interview proposal. So please, tell me a bit more about yourself.

Well, thanks for interviewing me Carl
    Basically, I'm a 15 year old Maltese teen who loves History, Military History in particular. I am also a musician and amature footballer

Oh musician, thats very cool. Im a hardcore Beethoven fan myself!

So you're making a ETW modification about the Knights of Malta, ( I already know that im a bloody historical researcher for the mod! )could you please tell me more about that?

The Mod? The mod started out as a "just for fun" project, but instantly there had been good reception on it, and I had been taking it very seriously ever since.
    Currently the project involves Historical Reskins and Historical Units(along with new UI Cards and Info Pics). Historic Names and New Flags will hopefully be added too

Sounds like a challange. So the aim of the mod is to portray the knights accuratly?

Yeap, the aim of the mod is basically to portray the Late 17th-18th Century Military side of the Knights of St.John(Knights of Malta), keeping to historical sources whenever possible.

So historical accuracy is top priority?
    That is correct. Some lack of tools and editors hinder the possibilities to completely revise the Order, like the Ruling system based on the Grandmaster elected by a council for life, and a new election when he dies, and the appointment of Bailiffs and Piliers besed on the tounge's nationality

Indeed. I have the list right here if anyone's interested...
    HERE IT IS!

According to the rules,there were 3 classes: The Knights ,Who were always of Noble origin and held the highest offices of the Administration and The army,The Chaplains,who had only religious duties and the Sergeants ,who did not have any Noble origin and held only the lowest offices.

The Members of the order came from different European nations.thus,they were first divided into 7 nations that were known as “Tongues”.

The “Tongue“ of Provance was hierarchically superior,because it was the oldest and followed the tongue of Auvergne,France,Italy, Aragon,England and Germany.

The Tongue of Aragon compromised of all the knights who came from the iberian peninsula.
    Later,in 1462,in the years of the Grand Master Pierre Raymond Zacosta,its division into to tongues was decided;The Tongue of Aragon and the tongue of Castile,which became the eight tongue.

Every tongue had its own Inn and its own head,the Pilier.
    Every leader held a particular Office.The Pilier of Provance exercised the function of The Grand Commander and replaced The Grand Master,when he was absent.

The Pilier of Auvergne was the Marshal,In charge of the defence and supplies of the army.
    The Grand Hospitaller ,Pilier Of France ,was in charge of the hospital and welfare.
    Head of the Navy was the admiral ,the Pilier of Italy.

The Drapier ,the pilier of Aragon,attended to dress the knights,while the Grand Turkopolier ,the pilier of England,was the governor of the chivalry.

The German pilier was the “Grand Bailiff”,and was responsible for the Castles.
    Finally,the Pilier Of the tongue of Castille Had the office of the Grand Chancellor,who was in charge of signing all the official state documents.

The Grand master was the sovereign for life,managed the order and elected the officials.In his duties,he was helped by the Grand Council,which composed of The piliers of the tongues.

The highest executive power was exercised by the Chapter General,in which participated all the members of the Order.
    The Chapter General elected The Grand Master and controlled all the bodies of the state.

Apart from the central administration,there was a strong local power.
    The commandery was the basic administrative unit,an area cultivated by the peasants,who gave the crops to the knights.
    Its governor was the commander,who was designated by the prior of the area.
    Many commanderies constituted one preceptory and the prior was its head,designated by the Chapter General ,after the proposal of the Grand Master.

I have myself been facinated with the knights ever since i was a little kid, how long have you been interested in the knights and their history?

I've been fascinated with the Knights since I've been a kid too
    I remember forcing my mum to take me to the Conventual Cathedral of St.John(built by the Knights in 1567 or so) everyday just to view it
    As I was growing up, I was actually forced to learn on the Knights in Primary school, but I was fascinated in it
    I took the History option two years ago, and learned even more on the Knights, and I don't regret it
    But I discovered the Knight's military side on my own...

Oh i see. Well their military side is just as facinating as their more...peaceful side.

So what is your role within the modification team? Are you a modder yourself?

Well, I just coordinate the team and research alot on the order, but I also script some things on the startpos.esf

All right, thats a lot more than i can do.
    Could you tell us about the members of the team and their 'functions?'

The Team consists of(apart from me) :

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar - Who does the Skinning on the Units
    EmperorBatman999 - Who does the Unit Models
    Archealos - Who does the UI Cards and Info. Pics
    Tiyafeh - Who provided some very useful links and misc. stuff(like some modelling property)
    Le De Da Brigadier Graham - Who does the Music for the Order
    Thomas Hospitaller - Who just entered as a Historical Researcher

And of course you Carl, our historical researcher

Aaaw thank you. Ya got any pictures from the mod you can show the readers of the ES?

Sure!
    Basic Line Infantry(Regimento di Malta)
    Grenadiers

Knight's Foot Artillery
    Regimento di Cacciatori(Regiment of Hunters - Light Infantry)
    Marines

Knight's African Troops
    [/URL]
    Knight's Indian Troops
    [/URL]
    Knight's General Bodyguards(2 different skinswill generate randomly)
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    Captain General of the Galleys(Marine Officer)
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    Grand Falconier(Regimento di Cacciatori Officer)
    [/URL]
    Order Cavalry
    [/URL]
    Most of the Army
    [/URL]

The only non-historical units are the African and Indian Troops, but they add to the possibilities and provide more depth

Thanks for reading this, Thanks again Carl for interviewing me and Take Care

Thank you!

A Look at the videos of the Total War Series
    Click to view content: 

Total War Video Mayhem
    A look at the videos of the total war series

So I was thinking about what to write this month, and like all good writers I tried to analyze what demographics of my readers and prospective readers I had yet to alienate. Rome got paltry representation in my Modding Front articles, check that off the list, and Empire constantly gets shtick from this columnist, check and double-check, so it's about time to stick it to the other games. And what better way to stick it to the other games than to do a segment on videos. Well the videos aren't actually all that bad, but my first idea for a segment about Norman and Milanese inbreeding was turned down by Calvin. A right stickler that one.

In this segment I take a look back at the videos in the series and rank the games and their expansions by the quality of their videographic representation. I know, I know, videographic isn't a word, but in keeping with the terms of my ES contract I'm obligated to make up at least three words per issue. We all try to do our part as citizens of the internet in the ongoing pursuit of butchering the English language. Of note, the two games which will not be represented in the Top 10 are Viking Invasion and Rome Alexander, since they don't really have any intro videos. Plus I'm lazy and I don't like Nordics or Greeks. There goes another reader demographic, on a freaking roll here.

I'll be rating them based on three factors: Imagery, Sound, and Immersion. Each is worth between 1 and 10 points, and each game also gets an added 0.5 points for every year it is old, to reflect the increase in graphical capabilities. The videos being rated are the trailer/intro videos, not in-game videos. Anyone who thinks my rating system is unfair is welcome to not be right. Did I just alienate opinionated people? Oh yeah!

So sit back, relax, get inebriated, and enjoy.

I might be being a little bit generous here. The images in the Mongol intro, which is the same for both the main campaign and the historical Kublai Khan campaign, are lacking. It goes something like... angry dude, more angry dude, ooh shiny weapons, more angry dude, hey look horses, more angry dude, drew barrymore no wait just more angry dude, hey look boats! And it seems like the stampeding horses and the large fleet of boats should have evoked something, but it just didn't.

Imagery: 4/10

Ugh, the sound on this thing has to be the worst sound in the series, bar none. There was a couple bits of throat singing in the background, which was decent, but the narrative by Kublai Khan makes him sound like a caveman. Me.. mongol.. me.. smash.. japan.. big.. stick.. wood.. sea.. horse.. urgh.. RAWR! If that had been the dialogue it might have gotten a higher rating in this category.

Sound: 1/10

Well what's to expect here, considering the above I'd have rather there been no video at all. The video just made me feel bad for trying to steal those nice samurais land. Me.. mongol.. me.. misunderstood.. me.. just.. need.. hug.. sadface.

Immersion: 2/10

You can see the video here.

Age Bonus: 4
    Total: 11

The imagery is practically non-existent, it's essentially a gradual closeup of a dudes face. That's Napoleon you say? Oh well then that changes everything! Wait... no it doesn't. There's so much interesting going on in the Napoleonic Era, such huge battles, that a closeup of a model, albeit a high-poly one, is pittance. Maybe it's just because it's early on in development, but all the 'current generation' games seem to have this desire to deviate from the massive battle scenes that made the old ones good and focus on scenarios and one-on-one combat, so it wouldn't surprise me if the intro eventually looked pretty similar.

Imagery: 5/10

Ugh... the sound reminded me of the Mongol Invasion one. It sounds like the same guy doing his impression of a French accent, and you can tell that it falls out of character from time to time. The background music is pretty tepid, and the dialogue is sub-par. If it really is the same guy who does a bunch of the other intros, then I'm left wondering why when companies like BioWare can fully voice entire MMOs, the large partnership of CA-SEGA can't get a few authentic voice actors.

Sound: 5/10

Unprecedented regimental warfare, huge naval battles and ironclads, the boom of artillery fire and the sounds of the drummers and fifers... is what you would expect from a 1800s era war game intro. The speech didn't do it for me at all. My score here is fairly generous, mainly because I don't want Napoleon to coup my article.

Immersion: 6/10

Age Bonus: 0
    In-Game Videos Bonus: 0

Total: 16

The imagery was pretty quick, the only intro video for Medieval lasts about a minute. It starts pretty mellow, just a knight stabbing a scorpion, morbid old dude narrating, yawn. And then bam. "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Bunch of dudes come running across the screen like they're being chased by Keanu Reeves. Wait for me guys, where we going, I shall join you! Has anyone seen my coif? Oh damn, catapults, and arrows, count me out y'all but you have fun, really. The imagery went from brooding to fast-paced and back down again, which is good, it gets points off for there not being much of it though.

Imagery: 6/10

The music and narration didn't necessarily add or detract to the imagery, but it supplemented it nicely.

Sound: 5/10

The dudes running really caught me off guard and got me pumped up for it. Some still say this was the high point of the series... but I don't think it was because of videos. None of the campaigns even have intros, so the only vid you get is at the very start of the game, new from Shogun which had no starting vid, but not better in any sense of the word. Even the sixth sense. HALEY JOEL OSMENT WHY MUST YOU GROW UP? Ehem. Sorry.

Immersion: 4/10

Age Bonus: 3.5
    Total: 18.5

One of the crowning aspects of the intro is its transitions, be it from a battlefield scene to a strategic theater, or in one soldier's eye and out another. The models used in the intro and the scenes are also top-notch. It gets points off for having relatively little scenes where massive battles are taking place, which is the calling card of the historical era.

Imagery: 8/10

The sound was production quality, but it felt... wrong. I was waiting for Darth Vader to duke it out with George Washington or Jar-Jar Binks to get keelhauled. The impression of being in the 17th century simply wasn't there, and there's plenty of good old battle tunes which is why it bothered me they went for hollywood style orchestral.

Sound: 6/10

The intro just didn't do it for me, there was too much going on in terms of scenes, and too little in terms of actual battlefield depictions. It was a bit like an Alvin and the Chipmunks cover of 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida'. Don't you know that I'll always be true?

Immersion: 6/10

Total: 20

(The above image is a mockup since obviously there's no warpath box art)

The trailer does pretty much what you want from a trailer, it shows FMV style scenes which pull you in and complements it with in-game shots. The scene where the tents disappear is also a powerful one. At the same time though some of the in-game shots could have done with more video cleanup, such as not having the green circles under units.

Imagery: 9/10

I like the choice of traditional music, it definitely suits the preview and comes to a nice crescendo. The dialogue was also well written... but the narration felt contrived. I'm pretty sure it's a European guy doing a Native American impression, at least that's how it sounds, which begs the question... why? I mean, we stole all their land, the least we could do is give them a narration job, amirite? Well, that and lose copious doubloons in their wonderful casinos. Maybe if they'd have set it to 'Run to the Hills' it would have been better...

Sound: 6/10

Since it's a trailer it didn't really get me into it like an intro video might. They're trying to showcase all the facets, and the listing of all the playable factions with the transitions to them advancing feels forced. I'm sure the intro vid, if there is one, will do away with the showcasing and have better immersion as a result.

Immersion: 7/10

Total: 22

Who doesn't like old bald dudes in musty monasteries? As a friend.. I mean. The imagery just felt 'cool' to me, not sensational, but cool. There were a lot of in-game images as well which didn't degrade from the quality of the FMV sequences, and the old tome effect was refreshing though it gets old. Haha, old, get it? Nevermind, what does it take with you people. WHAT DO YOU MEAN "YOU PEOPLE"? Just alienated everyone who thinks 'you people' is racist, score!

Imagery: 7/10

The starting chorus was great, and the narration was maybe the best in the series as it didn't feel contrived. The music died down a bit after the beginning but the effects sounds made up for it.

Sound: 8/10

The immersion value is high and the good thing about this game is every faction has their intro narration. The bad thing though is every intro uses the same images, which is off-putting after the first time, and in some ways worse than the cultural approach of Rome.

Immersion: 8/10

Age Bonus: 1.5
    Total: 24.5

The imagery in the Shogun intro features an array of scenes taken directly from the battles interspersed with some of the brilliant in-game videos, and a few other symbolic scenes. The images not only get you ready for the campaign, but are even vaguely instructional at times. By far the crowning moment of the Shogun intro is the conclusion with the silhouette of a samurai practicing swordplay against the rising sun, which is perhaps the second best scene of any of the TW videos.

Imagery: 7/10

The music in the Shogun intro is not its best feature, there's a few musical pieces which complement it but there's no real background music. However, the narration is one of the best in the series aside from some occasional cliche dialogue. And the end of the main campaign intro, "Let Total War begin", is goosebumps inducing.

Sound: 7/10

After watching the video I definitely was feelin' like it was time to get my samurai on. But on the other hand the video only briefly touched on the factions and wasn't differentiated by faction, and the videos from the other campaigns and historical campaigns had solid narration but re-used a bunch of images so came off as put together. The fact that I didn't mail order a man-kimono and a no-dachi should explain the immersion value. Because I generally do that sort of thing, as far as you know.

Immersion: 7/10

Age Bonus: 4.5
    Total: 25.5

The imagery in the Kingdoms videos are superb, it really shows the power of the video making tools of M2 and the grit of the battlefield, which is what has always made it my favorite battlefield environment of any of the platforms. Alone they are formidable, but each of the four campaigns in kingdoms has imagery to rival the intros for most of the main games, which is impressive.

Imagery: 10/10

While the narration isn't the best in the series, it's close to it, and the musical pieces and sound effects drive this score through the roof. The music of the Brittania intro is especially magnificent, but it's the sheer diversity of sound that differentiates the four campaigns -- when they could have settled for a generic intro -- where it really triumphs. The problem I have with it is the narration hurts it for me, I think videos can communicate plenty through imagery and sound, so spelling it out is often worse.

Sound: 9/10

The videos really paint the picture of the game you're about to play, and there's a fluid continuity between them and the video which plays when you start a campaign, which touches on the positions of all of the factions without feeling like it's jumping from place to place. This is the next best thing to faction-specific campaign start videos and by far the best setup in the series to keep you immersed.

Immersion: 10/10

Age Bonus: 1
    Total: 30

The Rome intro manages to make a captivating experience without any usage of material that isn't in-game. This is one of its best features, since you get to see things the way they could theoretically happen in-game, which is awesome. The only problem with this trailer is some of the unit collision issues are glaring at times, notably in the horse charges, but it's a minor nitpick.

Imagery: 9/10

I have a soft spot for Latin style singing, and the music fits the video almost perfectly. I'm glad there's no narration, because it would probably make it worse. Easily the best score of the Total War games and it shows.

Sound: 10/10

The fact that it uses in-game images, marginally glorified, and then lets you use the same things you saw in the video keeps you in the zone. Not to mention the cultural campaign start videos keep the buzz going until you're in the game vanquishing the enemies of Rome. There was a dream that was Rome. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile.

Age Bonus: 2.5
    Total: 31.5

Wow is all I can say. The imagery here is hands down the best imagery in any single video in the series. And the scene with the torches coming over the horizon as the drums start to play is the greatest single scene in any of the videos. It really communicates the feeling of a civilization in peril.

Imagery: 10/10

The strings section at the beginning of the piece is hauntingly good and it transitions effortlessly into a drum set and then smoothly escalates the tempo. Easily my favorite piece of the series.

Sound: 10/10

It doesn't have any campaign start videos, which is something I like to see. But at the same time it makes me wonder if a start of the campaign video would aid the introduction at all. I'm inclined to say it might not, depending on just how well they'd have been done, since the buzz from the introduction is hard to top or supplement. I will see you again... but not yet... not yet...

Age Bonus: 2
    Total: 32

Well, that's it then. As someone who can be counted a connoisseur of movies in games, really setting the stage with breathtaking visuals is important to me, and hopefully CA will bring the same level of commitment they brought to the diversity of the Kingdoms videos, coupled with the emotional resonance of Barbarian Invasion, to give us top-notch FMVs in future games. I'd also like to apologize to any of my caveman readers who may have been offended by my Mongol Invasion commentary, your viewership is important to me. As to the rest of you lot...

Until next time, stay inebriated!

Disclaimer: The author of this article assumes no liability for unlawful underaged drinking or any adverse actions that may happen as a result of it, such as enjoying this article. Further, the author takes no responsibility for any sense of humor deficiencies that may impair your reading of this article, and recommends you see a love doctor ASAP.

Tale of the Week Roundup
    Click to view content: 

Another scintillating round of contests this September, as Tale of the Week turns a year old. . .

The first competition of the new month started off with the second victory of Don’t Tread on Me, marking the fifty-third week of contests with his remarkable story, I do not know his name.

I do not know his name.

When I used my spyglass to survey the field below our hill, I saw his company, what remained of the South Carolina 10th Regiment of Militia. General Morgan had sent ‘em ‘round my hill to flank Tarleton’s left by the creek bed. But Bloody Ban saw those boys comin’ and unleashed some dragoons to head ‘em off. They dismounted, pinned ‘em in on the boggy hillside and started pickin’ em off like it was a turkey shoot.

Looked to be dead, all ‘em, but I saw one kneel up. Blood was runnin’ down his face from his ear, shot clean off, ‘twas. I saw him grimace, clutching his shoulder or his chest – couldn’t tell – then gripping the muzzle with a bloody hand. He steadied himself on his musket and stood. He started hollerin’ at the dragoons as they marched away. He loaded and fired, hit one dragoon. The man toppled like a tater sack. The rest turned around, growled and headed back toward the militiaman.

“Boy’s liable to bleed out in minutes,” I thought. When the howitzer nearby was bein’ reloaded I heard what he was yellin’. “Give me Tarleton’s quarter! Give me the same what my ma and pa got! Come on, now, you bloody cowards!” I’d heard tell what depraved things Tarleton done out in the wilderness. He once killed a man, raided his farm months later, told the man’s widow to dig him up and serve him dinner before letting loose his animals on her. I wondered if she was this boy’s mother. I reckoned all he wants in his last mortal moment is to make his stand with honor.

“Look at that boy yonder,” I called out to my artillerymen. “Tarleton’s men took everything he had but his last breath, and he is ‘bout to use it to kill one more o’ them devils. They think we are things, to be used and trodden ‘neath King George’s heel. This man’s had enough, and we need to show him – so have we.”

I ordered the howitzers wheeled ‘round – “Quickly now.” The shells had to rain down before the dragoons closed to their pistols’ range. “Fire!” The shells arced skyward then plummeted, exploding all around Tarleton’s men but a safe distance from the Carolina man. The dragoons’ wretched cries of unspeakable burning pain reached us on the hilltop, as did the acrid odor of smoke and charred flesh.

The Redcoats battling our foot regiments in the trench slops further out were horrified to look back. As for ol’ Ban himself, I could just make out his face, red as Mars as he thrashed around with fury. Our infantry rallied and seized the moment of the Brits’ confusion. ‘Twasn’t long afore the Brits just started scatterin’.

The militiaman had fallen where he stood, succumbed to those first two shots. I do not know his name. But he was a hero to his country that day, and I will never forget him.

And the month continued with the first victory of MuttonChops, featuring his inspiring story, Last of the Jacobites. . .

The Last of the Jacobites

Upon this accursed moor, lays our dead, a generation of Highlanders, sacrificed for the sake of a loss cause. There they lay, sinking and bloodied but not ashamed; they have died gloriously. Without fear they charged towards our foes, with courage in their hearts and a long sword in their hands, they met the cruel bayonets of our English oppressors with a determination that overwhelmed the odds. Many were struck by the enemies’ muskets as they struggled through the moor, the wounded crawled forward, the calls of the bagpipes led them forward and forward they charged! Their angry war cries filled the air, their anger was met by the British who clung to their rifles with fear. Like a storm, they smashed the British lines with fury, victory seemed possible, but fate decided to rob us. The British counter attacked and drove us back, the day was lost. We were chased from the field and harassed by their cavalry; many were cut down including me. Now as I lay dying, bleeding from my throat, you, must tell the others, what has happened, you must tell them how we fought and died gloriously, in this godforsaken battlefield, here in the Moors of Culloden……

TOTW 55 saw a close fight and a run-off, but in the end it was Julius Barca the Great who clutched the laurel of victory, with his thrilling story, Silence. . .

Silence

The cheers, taunts, and various mind-numbing screeches coming from the orcs were met by an equally disturbing silence from their so-called “allies,” the men of Rhun. The disciplined humans stood stock-still, knowing an eerie silence was just as frightening as blood-curdling screams. They held their pikes and scimitars, each made by top-class smiths, and glared across the field at their long-time foes, the free and brave men of Rohan.

The horse-lords were armed and armoured in typical cavalry fashion: light chain or scale male, light helms, leather skirts, lances, bows, and javelins. The Rohirrim sat, unmoving, on their steeds, waiting for the order to charge, knowing the Easterlings were out for revenge for their recent defeat at the hands of a small Rohirrim force.

Though the men of Rhun had a long history of fighting with the Men of the West, they were used to the clash of infantry, the heavy armour of the Gondorians. Only with the Dark Lord's recent expansion into Ithilien, and the lands to the north, have the Easterlings fought consistently with the men of Rohan, a task they relished more than anything. Seeing horses skewered on the end of long pikes, cutting the blonde warriors down from their high mounts, feeling the light arrows fall harmlessly to the ground after a run-in with the dragon-scale armour of Rhun. This was the joy of an Easterling.

The cavalry began to trot forward with the orc skirmishers running to intercept. Still the silence held. The orc body charged, the horses galloped, orcs fell. Screams and clashes heard across the battlefield. Still, the silence, and the disciplined ranks, held. The orcs routed, the Rohirrim reformed, and cheered. Easterling pikes were lowered in utter noiselessness. The charge began, and the distance between the two forces shrunk, the thunder and cheers ever increasing in pitch and volume.

The evil men of Sauron reacted in one way to this threat. They smiled. Here they would extract revenge on the Rohirrim for aiding the Numenoreans and killing their ancestors. The pikes wavered, though not from fear; from excitement.

"Hold!" called the Captain of Pikes, the first man of Rhun to utter a sound during the battle. The lines steadied, braced for impact. At this point, fear could be seen in the Horse-Lords’ eyes. Their opponents stood, unwavering, in face of a sprinting charge, something orcs could never do. By the time of impact, the cavalrymen feared for their steeds’ lives, as well as their own.

It was at this moment that the silence was broken. At this moment, the Easterlings shouted, a single, deafening shout of anger, of excitement, of revenge.

And that wraps it up for this month. From the Eagle Standard, this has been Theodotos I reporting. Stop by Tale of the Week and vote for our brave writers.

Last edited by Calvin; September 29, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
    Developer for Roma Surrectum 2 || Follow my move to the USA in Calvin's Corner
    Son of Noble Savage || Proud patron of [user]Winter[/user], [user]Lord of the Knights[/user] and [user]fergusmck[/user]

Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: The Eagle Standard Volume VII Issue IX

Good work guys

This issue looks jam-packed Cant wait to see what fellow writers came up with

Best one yet!!!

Nice one guys.
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

well done gents reps for all

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

NICE !!
    Hooray for Calvin and All Modders !

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

It's like an interview bonanza.

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    It's like an interview bonanza.
    Yeah and I like that one with the WWI mod leader the best who ever did that is so awesome

One of the most jam packed Eagle Standards ever
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Great Work Guys as Always ! Maybe The best edition ever !

PS I cant See Any Images About The Warpath campaign

One of our best issues in a long time.
    Son of PW

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

Even though I work for it in the form of the CQ, I've rarely actually read a ES issue until now. Really good!
    Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Well done guys, well done.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

Thanks Calvin for sharing the information. I would like to know more about the five different interviews which you would have conducted in the month of September.
    Besides I don't have any knowledge on Napoleon and Wapath games which were been announced by Celsius and Junius. Could be guide in brief about this game?

Thanks in advance.