Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BC & AD swithed to BCE & CE?

Icon5 BC & AD swithed to BCE & CE?

Has anyone made a small mod that would change the dates from BC to BCE and AD to CE? Some of us aren't Christian and would rather have a generic dating system. If no one has, could someone please tackle this? Thanks!
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; September 30, 2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: color trespassing
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

The Colonel's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: BC & AD swithed to BCE & CE?

Quote Originally Posted by CelticPagan View Post
    Has anyone made a small mod that would change the dates from BC to BCE and AD to CE? Some of us aren't Christian and would rather have a generic dating system. If no one has, could someone please tackle this? Thanks!
    Wow, somebody cares a little too much
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; September 30, 2009 at 03:53 PM.

You've been reported for your personal attack on me.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; September 30, 2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: color trespassing
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989

In answer to your question, I don't think there is one. In comment on your post, I really don't understand that at all. The split between the two eras (whether you speak of Before Christ/Anno Domini or Before Common Era/Common Era) is based upon a christian theology/history anyway. You cannot escape it without reverting to a dating system from another culture. Changing the names of a christian dating system is pointless pandering to reactionary thought, not an alternative dating system divorced from the culture of our christian history.

If you want it done, please do it yourself, rather than requesting it from another. Text editing isn't difficult, and finding out how to do it is as simple as a search on the modding forums of this site.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Default Re: BC & AD switched to BCE & CE?

I'd be perfectly happy if a Hellenic or even Roman time line were used. It's just as an Historian I am used to using BCE and CE.

I'd be perfectly happy if a Hellenic or even Roman time line were used. It's just as an Historian I am used to using BCE and CE.
    Strange, as 99% of the historians I've read use BC and AD rather than BCE and CE. I'm also a history major (and a Christian), and none of my professors have objected to the use of BC and AD. Regardless, using BCE and CE seems more like an euphemism than an actual solution to your problem.

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

This has nothing to do with whether you are Christian or not. They are simply eras that have been used for a very long time. Changing the name of the eras does nothing. The entire calendar is based on Christianity, maybe, but that does not mean that it is Christian. It is just a part of the legacy of the Christians in that history.

Quote Originally Posted by ProvostGuard View Post
    Strange, as 99% of the historians I've read use BC and AD rather than BCE and CE. I'm also a history major (and a Christian), and none of my professors have objected to the use of BC and AD. Regardless, using BCE and CE seems more like an euphemism than an actual solution to your problem.
    Odd as all of my History Professors all used BCE and CE, as do I. Then again I haven't been Christian since I was sixteen, some twenty-six years ago. ninety-five percent of the historians I read and who publish in the association publications i get also use the BCE/CE dating. Also, how is it a euphemism? It is simply a way of keeping track of time in a non-sectarian manner that keeps a familiar dating system most in the West use. I don't understand why a simple request for a mini-mod that would be very optional is sparking such responses. If you wish to use a Christian dating system, then don't use any mini-mod that may be created from my request. What system you use doesn't matter to me. I just would like to have an alternative one for me. No one else need use it. And I don't have a problem. I simply want a system that is more historical, so, as stated before, I would be happy with one that uses a starting date from Rome's founding as year one, or perhaps Alexander's death, or any number of significant historical events. I just suggested BCE/CE as I thought it would be easier for whomever coded it, IF someone does so. If not, I can live with it. I have been an Historian for two decades now.

For those who seem to be indicating I am disrespecting Jesus or Christians, I believe Jesus was an historical figure, like Siddhartha (the Buddha), but don't believe either to be Divine, just very spiritual people who taught valuable lessons. I have no agenda, just looking for a way to have the date not scream one religion over any other. A neutral dating system would work best for me. Note I said me. I am not espousing this for anyone else but me. Others can, of course, use an alternate dating system if they so wish, presuming a moder makes this simple mini-mod.

I hope that this clears up any questions.

I never said anything about insulting Christians.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

BCE= Before the Common [Christian] Era.

CE= Common [Christian] Era.

I fail to see your point.

Sorry Celtic Pagan, but if you really want a truly neutral dating system, you need something like "year 8,000 since the beginning of human agriculture"

or "3,799,998,028 years since the formation of earth"
    Last edited by Paul d; October 01, 2009 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul d View Post
    BCE= Before the Common [Christian] Era.

CE= Common [Christian] Era.

I fail to see your point.

Sorry Celtic Pagan, but if you really want a truly neutral dating system, you need something like "year 8,000 since the beginning of human agriculture"

or "3,799,998,028 years since the formation of earth"
    EB already has an alternative dating system that could be used - the Hellenic olympiad count of years. No need to go so far back as human agriculture, or the geological date of the Earth.

As I explained, BC and AD are neutral. They are based off of a dividing point in history. The only more neutral dates I can think of to be the dividing point are 27 BC and 476 AD for obvious reasons.

Default Re: BC & AD swathed to BCE & CE?

You know what? Just forget it. I'm sorry I every brought it up. BC and AD are NOT neutral, any more than using the Jewish calendar or Islamic Calendar would be. I'm done with asking for something like the Greek Olympiad Calendar. I'm done reading EB threads. You all won.

knight of virtue and valor's Avatar Praefectus
    In the nightmares of my foes (bakersfield, CALI, allright)

in all yoru study of history have not you found out that their is no one and nothing on the face of this planet that is impartail? lets say you believe in evoution well then you say 3,799,998,028 years since the formation of earth, then guess what, bud, your partail towards evoloution....name ONE impartail THING in this world, let alone a date. some one delete this thread. oh, and we will all miss you, I mean who WOULDNT boy cott awesome mods because they dont run from the mention of a different opinion then yours...
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

IT IS NOT A CHRISTIAN CALENDER! How many times must that be said!

Campidoctor

What i don't understand is why almost everyone in this thread (with a few notable execeptions) has been so hostile to what was a simple suggestion, some people just object to having to use the word "christ" even if the alternative is still based around the christian dating system.

@Celticpagan if you ever have a look back here the file you want to change is shared.txt in the text folder do a search for "{ST_X_BC}" in the text file to find the entries you want to change.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    What i don't understand is why almost everyone in this thread (with a few notable execeptions) has been so hostile to what was a simple suggestion, some people just object to having to use the word "christ" even if the alternative is still based around the christian dating system.
    Well, I don't understand it either. Actually most of the post (including this one) is more of a spam, since they don't concern initial question directly...
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFL Copter View Post
    IT IS NOT A CHRISTIAN CALENDER! How many times must that be said!
    And what calendar is it? Universal? Please...

Under the patronage of m_1512

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

I don't understand it either. Anyway, I think it would be easiest to change it to AUC (Ab Urbe Condita, the Roman calender). I don't recall where it would have to start, but it should be easy enough to find out. Basically, you just need to change AD to AUC and start the campaign on AD. Also, you may want to change the events ("The Year in History"), but I'm afraid I don't know where that is.
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Campidoctor

Changing to AUC would require a lot of work as you'd need to change the 4tpy script as well as pretty much anything that relies on the date (reforms, events etc). BCE/CE is much much easier (it could be done in seconds).

I would say it is universal, for reasons explained above.

Its like saying the months are biased because they are Norse gods, it is the way it has been historically done and now has no reference to its original meaning. When people use BC AD they don't mean it in a Christian way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast