Developer: The Vicar
Prussia's infantry is well known to be the fastest shooting and best trained line infantry in Europe.
Prussia is focused on its infantry, and they can rely on them to be the best shooters. However Prussia is small and so are its regiments. An experienced General will back up its line with Cavalry, which is inspired by Polish Hussars and Uhlans, and Artillery, which is average quality. Light infantry is not valued by Prussia, so it is not as strong as the rest of the army.
The Army with a State
We all know and love Prussia, and indeed it has always provoked much attention and curiosity during this time because of its unique nature. Prussia was a small state, population-wise, yet fielded an army several times the size of what conventional wisdom says should have been possible. And not only that, but it managed to do so while retaining a superior training regimen to most contemporary nations.
Bearing these things in mind, and looking at what the Prussians were known for historically, the new Prussia in Imperial Splendour 2.1 will be focused around a couple key gameplay elements:
- Iron Discipline - Prussian Troops will possess a superior morale.
- Fast Shooting - Prussian Line Infantry will fire 4 shots per minute. This places her as the premier "shooty" faction.
- High Cost - Prussia has a small population. Her army cost her more, on average, than other nations. There will be a couple of ways to offset this. The first way is through the use of her God-granted leadership. She starts the game with a King that grants a reduction in unit costs, and a Minister of the Army that similarly grants a reduction in costs. Additionally, there are two new technologies that are exclusive to Prussia.
- Lightening of the Horse - Early in the century Prussia relied on, and was known for, huge horses. Frederick the Great called them "giants on elephants." While surely a magnificent sight on the battlefield, the truth of the matter was that the cost for maintaining such beasts in no way reflected their actual performance. Frederick therefore turned to lighter "Polish" and "Balkan" horses, mounts that could get the job done sufficiently, and yet cost a substantial amount less.
- Foreign Recruitment Drives - Ever short of manpower, one of the methods that Frederick the Great devised to supplement his military was to recruit from foreign nations. As opposed to contemporary states of the time, Frederick did not create entire foreign regiments as such, but rather distributed these soldiers-for-hire throughout his already-established Prussian regiments. The recruitment drives were a huge success, and by the time of his death fully 1/3 to 1/2 of the military was composed of non-Prussians.
The New Roster
- Garnisoninfanterie - Garrison Infantry
- Linieninfanterie - Line Infantry
- Garnison-Grenadiere - Garrison Grenadiers
- Grenadiere - Grenadiers
- Füsiliere - Fusiliers
- Feldjäger-Corps zu Fuss - Jäger (lit. Huntsmen/Hunters) - Riflemen
- Frei-Korps - Free Corps (mercenaries)
- Frei-Jäger - Jäger of the Free Corps
- Grenadiere-Garde-Bataillon - Grenadier Guard
- Regiment-Garde - Guard Regiment - The 2nd & 3rd Battalions of the 15th Infantry Regiment
- Leib-Garde - Life Guard - The 1st Battalion of the 15th. The most prestigious infantry unit in the Prussian army
- Frei-Dragoner - Dragoons of the Free Corps
- Dragoner - Dragoons - Not really dragoons, as they don't fight dismounted. They are rather the Prussian equivalent of Regiment of Horse - Standard Cavalry
- Frei-Husaren - Hussars of the Free Corps
- Husaren - Hussars - Light Cavalry
- Bosniaken - Bosniaks - Lancer Cavalry
- Kürassiere - Cuirassiers - Heavy Cavalry
- FeldJäger-Corps zu Pferde - Mounted Jäger - Dismountable Riflemen
- Leibregiment zu Pferde - 3rd Cuirassier Regiment - Life Regiment of Horse
- Leib-Carabiniere - 11th Cuirassier Regiment - Life Carabiniers
- Garde du Corps - 13th Cuirassier Regiment
- Leib-Husaren - 2nd Hussar Regiment - Life Hussars
- Totenkopf-Husaren - 5th Hussar Regiment - Death Head Hussars - This is a Special-Forces only unit. I'm just including it here for the sake of completeness
- der ganze Tod Husaren - 9th Hussar Regiment - The Whole Death Hussars