Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 520212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: MTW XL Mod

Default Re: MTW XL Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Henry X View Post
    My game won't let me use save games. Solutions?
    What precisely do you mean by that? What exactly is happening when you load up saved games?
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Please help. My medieval total war. 2002- 2003 used to work on my old computer but now doesn't work on my new acer 5750 laptop. Installs but crashes when attempting to play. Help

Just started up a game as the Norwegians craving for some viking goodness. I played slightly carelessly but it was deliberate in order to spice things up. I normally play like this with the other TW games. Within 15 or so turns, I made an attack on Northumbria, eliminated Scotland, was excommunicated and suffered an unbearable influx of rebellions, which I struggled to hold off with heavy casualties. Cue the Irish invasion of Northumbria, a successful rebellion in Norway and a massive, combined revolt of Christian fanatics and highland clansmen in Scotland, and my dynasty was drowned in a river of blood.

Thank you. Thank you so much CA for this game. Thank you for this incredible mod. Thank you for actually making me lose, something that just can't happen in the later games.

EDIT: Was playing on "normal" setting btw. Now that's the kind of normal I'm talking about!
    Last edited by atheniandp; March 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post
    Just started up a game as the Norwegians craving for some viking goodness. I played slightly carelessly but it was deliberate in order to spice things up. I normally play like this with the other TW games. Within 15 or so turns, I made an attack on Northumbria, eliminated Scotland, was excommunicated and suffered an unbearable influx of rebellions, which I struggled to hold off with heavy casualties. Cue the Irish invasion of Northumbria, a successful rebellion in Norway and a massive, combined revolt of Christian fanatics and highland clansmen in Scotland, and my dynasty was drowned in a river of blood.

Thank you. Thank you so much CA for this game. Thank you for this incredible mod. Thank you for actually making me lose, something that just can't happen in the later games.

EDIT: Was playing on "normal" setting btw. Now that's the kind of normal I'm talking about!
    Next time try hard and expert. On easy btw is easy. The last days I were playing on STW 1.11 and thanks to it now Im more experienced in MTW VI and I can try the normal mode also.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiBG View Post
    Next time try hard and expert. On easy btw is easy. The last days I were playing on STW 1.11 and thanks to it now Im more experienced in MTW VI and I can try the normal mode also.
    IDK about hard+expert modes, because in Hard and Very Hard modes in RTW and the latter games, the AI just gets stupid unfair advantages especially on the battlefield. The way I like to play a campaign is to play carelessly... for instance, I raise taxes high in newly conquered provinces to boost unrest and rebellions, I leave certain provinces/cities lightly garrisoned to lure the AI to attack, etc. That's playing "hard" mode.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

IDK about hard+expert modes, because in Hard and Very Hard modes in RTW and the latter games, the AI just gets stupid unfair advantages especially on the battlefield.
    In MTW/VI only Expert mode gives AI unfair advantages. That's why I always play on Hard - better AI without annoying tricks.
    Last edited by Stazi; March 21, 2012 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typos

Ah, fantastic, I will try that out in that case. I got too used to the newer TW games' ways of making the game "harder".

The problem with unfair bonuses is that if you and the AI have 1-2 identical unit armies, which doesn't give you enough resources to maneuver, the AI always wins. It's stupid.

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Just installed this mod - its great, really great well done.

But can the cities be moved? For example the capital of Bulgaria is Turnovo in the Medium and Late. The city inside Bulgaria presented looks like Odessos (today Varna).

Sweet mod! Ive been playing a campaign with the Norwegians for a couple of days now and I have to say that its been one of the most challenging campaigns of all of my TW experiences. The MTW AI in my opinion is superior to the newest renditions of the series and coupled with how hard it is to make money in this mod it really adds to the experience.

So long story short, sick!!

Quick question for those that have played MTW through all the ages. As I mentioned above, Im playing as Norway and I just hit the 'Late' period and encountered a problem. One turn I was able to recruit things like Viking Huscarls and the next I cant. Seems that with the change of age I cant recruit my viking warriors anymore which is silly because thats where Norway gets its strength from and its unique units without them Norway becomes a generic nation.

Is it normal for some of the units to disappear once a new age beings? Or is it a glitch? I just dont understand why the huscarls should be taken away because that really limits the fighting power of this viking nation.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by theValentino123 View Post
    Is it normal for some of the units to disappear once a new age begins?
    Hi TheValentino

Yes.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

Is it normal for some of the units to disappear once a new age beings?
    In a word, yes.

Just as some units in MTW don't become available until you reach the High/Late periods (reflecting new tactics and/or technology), so some units cease to be available at the end of certain periods.

This is especially true for all the Viking units (including the Byzantines' Varangian Guard). It's to reflect how historically, the Vikings' influence faded from history during the later Middle Ages. Yes, this does mean that the Scandinavian kingdoms' military becomes more "generic" later on in the game, but this also reflects (to a greater or lesser degree) what happened in actual history.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Quick question for those that have played MTW through all the ages. As I mentioned above, Im playing as Norway and I just hit the 'Late' period and encountered a problem. One turn I was able to recruit things like Viking Huscarls and the next I cant. Seems that with the change of age I cant recruit my viking warriors anymore which is silly because thats where Norway gets its strength from and its unique units without them Norway becomes a generic nation.
    A simple bit of modding will make them available in all eras, if that's what you want.

Is it normal for some of the units to disappear once a new age beings? Or is it a glitch? I just dont understand why the huscarls should be taken away because that really limits the fighting power of this viking nation.

Cheers!
    They're removed for historical reasons. In vanilla MTW/VI they are unavailble at 1204 (high), so earlier than in the XL mod.

No kingdom of Georgia but Armenia is present... strange!

How does the GA mode work for this mod? I pretty much play Glorious Achievements mode exclusively, so when I saw in the first post that GAs were a feature, I got interested. Can anyone tell me how stable the GAs are, and what kinds of goals are added (i.e., is it just 'homelands' and 'conquest', or are different goals included)?
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

IIRC only "terrain" Glory Goals are modable in MTW. All others are hardcoded. I've never played GA mode so I can't help much more.

Stazi! Nice to see you here!

You'd better finish that LOTR mod for MTW, or else I shall have sleepless nights mourning over what could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    IIRC only "terrain" Glory Goals are modable in MTW. All others are hardcoded. I've never played GA mode so I can't help much more.
    By 'terrain' do you mean Homelands and Conquest, or one or the other?
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    By 'terrain' do you mean Homelands and Conquest, or one or the other?
    Conquest for sure, Homelands probably too. Here is the old thread about it.

Stazi! Nice to see you here!
    Thanks, but as I said I don't have enough time for modding now and probably nothing will change in the nearest future.

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

As I read the posts I just remembered about one bad experience for me and after that - bad for the computer. So here is my story: I was playing with Bulgaria in the Late Age..

I was battling a lot with Byzantia and I was trying to make Transilvania and Moldavia again Bulgarian provinces but Hungary was there also. Unlike Byzantia, the Hungarians were pretty damn powerful and I had created a lot of reasons for war against them and it was funny because I can win battle and just after some years they can beat me and return their provinces. And this was only on Easy settings... But the biggest problem where the Crusades. Everytime when they pass - they steal gold from me and I was very angry. But finally I felt that my country was stronger and after 4 Crusades I do not allowed the knights to pass... And this army never reached Jerusalem! After 3 battles above Croatia I totally smashed the knights and for the first time ever I had battled in such a battle lol... After that I alone decided that Jerusalem must be free and I captured every province from Anatolia to Egypt but then The Golden Horde decided that Georgia is a sweet land so...yet another war but this time my army wasn't there because I was as always battling with Hunagry and guarding Croatia borders because of the knights so I experienced my first serious loses. I just gave up 3 or 4 provinces and decided to eliminate Hungary forever! After doing so the Russians came... But my play stops here.

MTW is just amazing!