Thread: Valens/Valentius

Default Valens/Valentius

Im wondering if you guys think Valens and Valentius are good emperors? I think without a doubt Valentius was but Valens may or may not take the spot of a good emperor after the disaster of Adrianople which was sparked by his want for glory which, was basically like any other Roman at the time, right?

Share your opinions...

Default Re: Valens/Valentius

Quote Originally Posted by The10thLegion View Post
    Im wondering if you guys think Valens and Valentius are good emperors? I think without a doubt Valentius was but Valens may or may not take the spot of a good emperor after the disaster of Adrianople which was sparked by his want for glory which, was basically like any other Roman at the time, right?

Share your opinions...
    Valentinian I is known by practically every historian as 'The Last Great Warrior Emperor'. He had a brilliant military career, serving under Constantius II and with Julian on his Sasanid Persian campaign. He rebuilt both the Late Roman army and its moral after the disasterous afore mentioned Persian campaign and he brought in a number of military innovations such as the 'mile fort' system, possible reintroduction of pilum into the Legiones and possibly was responsible for the book 'De Rebus Bellicis'. Ammianus credits Valentinian as 'an inventor of arms'. Had he not died as a result of a stroke it is doubtful that Adrianopolis would have taken place and I predict that the goth's would have just become an historical footnote.

Whilst Valen's was not on the same level as his more military capable brother, he did not entirely disgrace himself on the field of battle. Before Adrianopolis Valens had undertaken two campaigns against the Goth's, invading deep into their homeland. He also kept the Eastern frontiers intact. During the period 376-378AD he had been building a massive invasion force for a planned invasion of Sasanid Persia. This army would have included large numbers of Goth's who appear to have willingly signed up for the campaign. Adrianopolis was his downfall and hopefully my research on that particular battle will be published in the not too dim and distant future and you will be able to read my take on what actually happened before, during and after that battle.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

I like to think of Valens as a man judged perhaps harshly by the times - his Arian stance caused problems for Aegypt and the Oriens, resulting in a massive invasion of Saracens under their warrior-queen Mavia, who overran both areas annihilating not just the local Roman forces but a field army under Victor also, who had to be rescued by the Comes at the last moment. Valens had to make peace with her and allow her to raise an orthodox bishop over her people instead of the Arian one he tried to impose.

As Valentinian Victor points out, Valens was a successful campaigning emperor although he failed in two attempts to curb the Goths due to bad weather and Gothic retreats. His Persian build-up was thorough and might have led to a resounding victory as he had under him several able generals - Victor, for example, despite Ammianus' reticence on his character. However, events moved him into a difficult Gothic campaign in Thrace and the catastrophic defeat at Hadrianople. A story I am working on slowly as a piece of fiction. I have always thought of Valens as a conscientious emperor marred by a religious outlook which split his part of the Roman world and who tried his best but perhaps always missed the rural estates on which he grew up and always loved. He was a man plucked out to rule rather than one who grasped such cloth, perhaps.

Sorry for late reply, been busy with new IJ. I like your guys opinions.