Thread: Game CTD after every 10 minutes after patching to 1.4

Default Game CTD after every 10 minutes after patching to 1.4

Hi

I recently patched the game to 1.4 and everytime I start a campaign or load one, after ten minutes it would just CTD. I am currenty playing as the Austrians, I did play previously play as france and spain both had the same problem.

My specs are

Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83ghz
    3gb Ram DDR 3
    Nvidia Geforce GTX295

I have tried everything from setting compatability mode to XP SP2, I have turned all settings in the nvidia control panel down or off, I have deleted the script file the appdata folder then do verify game cache thing and wait for it to update.

I don't want to have to reinstall as it is a very long process, is there anything that can be done to stop these constant CTD. (note: I have not been able to play a battle yet)

also I have purchase all of the dlcs in steam and prepurchased the warpath campaign. I also have the special forces edtion of the game

Your help is much appreciate.

EDIT: also, my nvidia drivers are 191.03
    Last edited by Maestro30k; September 26, 2009 at 08:37 AM.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Re: Game CTD after every 10 minutes after patching to 1.4

Was the game stable before the 1.4 patch on your install?

Is there any message with the CTD?

Can you play other games on your system?

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

I can play other games.

I don't think I ever played the game during patch 1.3, I have just rolled back the graphic card drivers.

Also, the message that does come up the usual 'windows has encounter an error' message.

EDIT: I certainly don't remember it crashing this badly either, but previous version did uses to crash occasionly

I have the same problem as you maestro. Its not because of patch 1.4 I had it before this patch. Its killing my game for sure, cant even play it. Damn Nvidia for never optimizing thier drivers for this game. I am on GTX 280. Please send me info if you do find a solution, getting desperate

I am also having the same problem
    8400 dual core
    8800GTS OC
    4GB Ram
    XP

it is not 10 min to the second though but random times it just crashes out to the desktop no warning. This is almost always from the campaign screen.
    I have a fresh install as well thought I would give this game a chance again .... it got worse. It was all patched up but wouldnt start. I reinstalled from download even though i have the disks, and had to delete all my application data for ETW to get it to run. Now I might get 2 turns in before a crash. What a POS. If Napoleon is on Steam count me out.
    Also anyone know how to get it to skip the opening movies now that I have watched those 50 times in the last two evenings well the first few secs anyway. Thanks.

Nuxes's Avatar Civis

Same here. The game ran fine before the patch, but now will crash randomly, sometimes in-game, sometimes on the menus.

System: i5 2500k, 8GB DDR3, 5870, Win7 Pro 64, 60GB SSD + 1TB SATA, X-Fi Pro Elite

Same problem. QX 9770, 2 X GTX 280, 8 GB, Vista Ultimate...

hi, think i may have solved, I had to do a system restore and that rolled back the drivers from 191.03 to 190.62. It also reset all the nvidia control panel settings. Managed to play for a whole hour and CTD. Going to try again today and see what happens.

I have new-installed and have 191.03 furthermore in run. Now it is also stable!

Edit: You are right. It was the new beta driver!
    Last edited by Hxr030771; September 27, 2009 at 09:18 AM.

Make sure your paging file is set to the maximum (4096 for XP) and also check your heat. Check your power settings in Hardware Manager to make sure that no part of your mainboard is being shut off and cutting the game. Otherwise you might manually tweak your gfx_video_memory line in user.preferences to your amount of available Video memory rather than the default "0" but keep in mind this interferes with adjusting settings in-game. Also, turn down texture variations, SSAO, HDR or other high resource effects.

I have determined that the issue has something to do with either the show CPU moves function or the spacebar unit speedup function. After shutting off show CPU moves and making troops walk at normal speed I was able to play for a good 2 hours last night with no crashes.