Thread: Barbarian tactic

Echbart's Avatar Decanus

Default Barbarian tactic

I have decided that i start playing some barbarian factions after saving WRE. My most favourite are Langobards and im having some problems staying alive - first Huns, then i start hording and anywhere i turn enemies are far more better then my horde troops. Im playing vh/h. I have also played Armenians and Lahkimids and done good job, but this barbaric faction are real challenge.

How do you play it

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Barbarian tactic

what are the virtues of the savage nomad or german barbarian? They wait; wait for the opportune moment to strike, then strike without mercy. Even a full stack of your strongest warriors will be sorely hurt by a roman force of the same size, so do not strike them in full force. Form raiding armies of missile and light cavalry, roam the lands of the romans and find points of weakness, destroy what forces you can and then retreat. Do not expect your men to fight a roman or persian battleline head-on, as your experiences with them prove, barbarian infantry, save for some decent shock troops, lack the defensive skill, the best way is to use missile troops to break holes in said line and use your infantry to widen them, if you lack such troops, hire mercenaries.
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Echbart's Avatar Decanus

For now im hording and waiting for right moment to settle down.....Those Huns will pay for destroying our homeland....

can you fight the tide? Or the sun? No, so don't fight the huns. Go West, life is peaceful there.

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Echbart's Avatar Decanus

I still have this idea to help roman empire - so im hunting down huns....still looking for new home....

in historwa, the langobards came on the scene later, after belisarius retook Italy, in fact, which is why maybe they start off so stable and boring, it might be best to try and wait it out.

Echbart's Avatar Decanus

Yes i know this...i live in country where they actually lived few years before final step to Italy....and they are most favourite confediration in late antiquity era...now im hunting in Crimea region...maybe i will head to Caucasus....maybe

knight of virtue and valor's Avatar Praefectus
    In the nightmares of my foes (bakersfield, CALI, allright)

what are the virtues of barbarains? they have great shock troops and farmer\settler troops that have like 80 recruitment and 20 upkeep. and unlike those poor romans, they can move their whole dang civ to greener pastures in case the huns or the like crush them.
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari