Thread: Prisoners found drinking anti-swine flu hand gel to get drunk

Default Prisoners found drinking anti-swine flu hand gel to get drunk

Ok I proper lol'ed when I heard this on the news, then I thought "I Take My Hat Off To Them For Going To Such Lengths To Get Drunk"

Article From The Guardian News Paper

Hand gels supplied to a prison to combat the risk of swine flu have been removed after inmates realised it contained alcohol and began drinking it to try to get drunk.
    At least one prisoner at HMP The Verne on Portland, Dorset, was found intoxicated. The Prison Service confirmed that this case was being investigated but meanwhile antibacterial gel pumps had been removed as a "precautionary measure".
    Andy Fear, a member of the Verne's Prison Officers Association (POA) committee, said the canisters had been ordered because of the swine flu threat.
    "It was subsequently reported by some association members working here that the inmates had been incorrectly using them, for want of a better phrase," he said.
    "The suspicion that was reported to us was that some of the inmates had drunk them. Of course some of the officers expressed concerns over potentially having to deal with prisoners who have had a drink."
    The Guardian reported in August that the NHS was aware of a rising number of cases of patients with drink or drug problems stealing the £10-a-litre gel and mixing it with orange juice, Lucozade or cola to create powerful cocktails, including one suspected of causing a death.
    Tim Roberts, branch chairman of the POA, said the association had raised concerns when it was first announced that the gel dispensers were being placed in the prison, because of the alcohol content.
    A Prison Service spokesman said: "On 21 September a prisoner at HMP The Verne showed signs of intoxication, the cause of which will be investigated. Antibacterial gel pumps have been removed from the prison as a precautionary measure."
    Prisoners found drinking anti-swine flu hand gel to get drunk‎ -

Link added -- please use links on all copy/paste from the internet -- VP
    Last edited by Viking Prince; September 26, 2009 at 01:06 PM.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Prisoners found drinking anti-swine flu hand gel to get drunk

Ha! I commend their ingenuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    Ha! I commend their ingenuity.
    Yep, just as good as making Hooch out of Potatoes although I think the Guards would find all the equipment in a prison to make Potatoe Hooch lol

I thought the stuff smelled pretty strong last time I was in a hospital; I guess some individuals will go to any length to get their "fix"!

i gotta try that home sometime
    Have a question about China? Get your answer here.

Wouldn't that make you go blind? I thought that type of alcohol did.

Proud Republican

s.rwitt's Avatar Shamb Conspiracy Member

Kids at military school used to drink Listerine, they never went blind.

They did get really sick though.

That isn't the same as drinking alcohol... extremely dangerous.