Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: >>>>> AUH Needs Researchers <<<<<

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Default >>>>> AUH Needs Researchers <<<<<

What we need:
    • People with access to primary and secondary sources, who know how to read and interpret it into usable information.
      • University libraries are a good source of information. If you look around you can usually find ways to get access to the library even if you aren't a student. The University of Southern California has a 'Friend of the Library' program for ~$50 a year, check out your local universities which probably have similar programs if you aren't currently enrolled or a graduate.
      • Amazon also has many high-quality books, but some of them will run a large sum. Research books extensively before spending money on them, because not all of them have as much utility as their price would suggest. At the same time, many of the best books like the Cambridge History of China series will run upwards of $100 and rightfully so.

• Enthusiastic people with time on their hands and a commitment to historical accuracy, but who can also understand the liberties that must be taken in the making of a mod.

• Historians who know the Total War series, have played Total War games, and can help interpret the information gleaned from primary sources into usable mediums for a game modification.

What we don't need:
    • People who post lots of pictures and don't dutifully explain what they are and what applicable uses they provide as concept art.

• People who quote wikipedia or other easily accessible website sources verbatim and call it research.
      • The fact of the matter is we can all google something or type it into wikipedia. So when that information is regurgitated it doesn't help us one bit.
      • As websites go, many of them can be valuable sources of information, and Wikipedia isn't the hodgepodge mess it used to be. Nevertheless these should be used as supplementary sources, not primary sources, and only when interpreted by the user who references them rather than just quoting them.

• People who comment here or there but don't contribute anything of substance.

• People who are unaware of the priority a volunteer modification has on a schedule, and have vocally unrealistic ideas about production.

How to apply:

Send a PM to Augustus Lucifer explaining your credentials.

Other Positions:

The team is not only in need of researchers, we have need for people of other acumen's as well. For more information on team needs, see this post and contact a mod leader.

Team Policies:

Periodically the two mod leaders will review all current AUH developers and dismiss those who are not contributing. Immunity will often be granted to those who are particularly valuable when active and are experiencing a period of inactivity. We are not unreasonable about activity levels or planned absences and strongly encourage prioritization of important matters like work, school, family, and friends above all else.

----------------------------------------------------

This thread will remain open, but PM is the preferred form of contact.
    Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; December 11, 2009 at 03:33 PM.

Marcion's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: >>>>> AUH Needs Researchers <<<<<

I'm willing to bet a lot that the number of people on TWC who are willing and able to do what you ask (obtain and sift through musty old tomes of Asian history for hours) is pretty small. I think you'll need to get this out to a wider audience than just this forum.

I am a college student, and could do real library research on one or two specific topics in the next few months, but nothing more than that.

On that subject, did you get my other offer for assistance?

Patrician Citizen

Yeah got your PM will get back to you on it.

And it all really depends on if people are actually interested in history. Myself I'm mixed on the matter, but there's plenty of people who'd like nothing better than to sift through musty old tomes. The older and mustier the better I'd say, as it likely means more rare knowledge.

That said no one has to look through 13th Century Persian scrolls and bas reliefs, we're not trying to be EB here, EB rocks and there's no way we can get that level of detail, it's just infeasible. For a history major the prospect of a day at the library often isn't as off-putting as it might seem to you or I. And anyone with any pursuit in our specific field of history probably already knows most of what we need to know or has it handy.

I've made an edit to the OP to reflect that I meant primary and secondary sources, not just primary sources, at least in a historiographical sense.

Boztorgai_Khan's Avatar Domesticus

~ Kara-Khitan Khanate
    &
    ~ Mongol Khanate

MOD's: >>> K-MTW2 & EW MOD & BC MOD <<< BoZToRGai KHaN

Official Web Site: http://www.djeak.com/boztorgaikhan/ (Coming Soon..!!!)

Website: http://www.cumankipchaksgroup.com/ (Coming Soon..!!!)

Lyonn's Avatar Libertus

Sent a PM but I just had a quick question in regards to division of labor:
    Will the researchers be expected to contribute to the historical accuracy of the entire region throughout the specified time frame, or will duties be divided so that each researcher handles the historical accuracy of a single nation or specific culture group?

of course, every researcher (I'd assume) would contribute in anyway needed by the team, but I was just wondering if there is any specialization at all.
    Or is it just not that regimented?
    Last edited by Lyonn; February 08, 2010 at 09:29 PM.

Patrician Citizen

We don't really have that luxury. Some mods have so many researchers they can afford to have research coordinators for every faction, since they have people to coordinate. Not us, at least not right now. I'll check the PM, if I forget to respond in the next couple days hit me over the head with another one, since I'm pretty busy right now and without consistent internet access.

Lyonn's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    if I forget to respond in the next couple days hit me over the head with another one, since I'm pretty busy right now and without consistent internet access.

no worries, take your time

The only reason I was asking about the specialization, was due to the fact that I'm currently studying classical & Medieval Japanese literature at uni. Heavy emphasis is placed on the productions of the Heian and Kamakura periods and their application to understanding the time periods in which they were written and the future influence they had on social development. So researching for you guys would carry with it the added bonus of doing better in the class

...but I don't want to make it seem like I'd only want to research Japan, I'm willing to research the entire region

...which would help with my comparative literature classes later on

I've also left you a private message with my credentials and sources.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

Patrician Citizen

Yup, I have three PMs to attend to concerning research. Since Yelu is away and my computer is still not working, I'm apprehensive to let new folks loose without any direction or activity, so that's why I've not responded just yet.

That's completely understandable.

Patrician Citizen

Still no luck with my computer, but wanted to make sure you guys knew I haven't forgotten the researcher applications. I have PMs from Lyonn, Ethien, and jimmi001 concerning helping out in a research capacity, which I've filed in a PM folder for safe keeping. Also have one from cedric37 concerning 2D Art. I'll see about getting enough of a file structure onto a temporary computer that I can at least cross-reference and comment, if not implement, things discussed. If that works out then you'll probably hear back from me soon.

朋友們 你好!
    I am a Sinology/Turkology studet, had a Chinese History...
    will be glad if I could be helpfull ....

Patrician Citizen

Hit a snag trying to fix my computer and may have broke it more. Data loss is a possibility but I am hopeful that none has occurred. It has put a damper on my plans to move some materials off it, since I can't boot from the hard drive, so just wanted to update the researchers on hold right now as to the situation. I have not forgotten about you!

I've always had an interest in the Mongol Hordes, I have unlimited time and energy to pour into research, i will be attending UMaine in septemeber to pursue a 4 year degree in History. I would love to be a researcher for this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    Hit a snag trying to fix my computer and may have broke it more. Data loss is a possibility but I am hopeful that none has occurred. It has put a damper on my plans to move some materials off it, since I can't boot from the hard drive, so just wanted to update the researchers on hold right now as to the situation. I have not forgotten about you!
    The update is appreciated. Hopefully you'll be able to recover the data from your tower and have it up and running soon. Recently my graphics card had suddenly went out, costing me a nice little bit of cash to purchase a new one, so I can empathize with you concerning computer related troubles.

Patrician Citizen

Another update is probably in order. My computer is currently working, has been for a couple weeks. I made plans to migrate my data to Windows 7, but my wireless router has yet to release their compatibility driver, which is slated for this month. I'm hoping that they will release it this month(ie. next few days) as promised on their website, as I'd like to be able to get back in gear come April and put this computer limbo behind me.

I will make sure to PM all researchers, and possibly send e-mails to those who popped in here but haven't logged in recently, once everything is in order after the migration. Fingers crossed!

Dear AUH Team:

I would like to volunteer my services when I have the spare time, and I think I might be a good choice.

Firstly, I am a PhD student of Chinese history with a strong interesting in Inner Asia as well. I am a fluent speaker of Chinese. Most importantly to you, I've read most of the necessary books already. Although I am not a Song dynasty scholar, I'm a Qing scholar, but I do often read literature from this period.

Secondly, I've been a major fan of the Total War series since I was in high school, and despite going on an academic path, I still maintain a love for the game. However, I have also been disappointed by the Eurocentricism in the game, and have long wished that other regions like East Asia (though India, Central Asia, Africa should be brought in. Broken Cresent was awesome) could be brought into the fold. I really believe the project you have been working on is excellent, and I wish to take part of it. I think "games" are more than just "fun," but can be an important tool of pedagogy and could act as a way to expand the horizons of teleologically Euro-centered minds.

If you still need help, please let me know. heseltonc@hotmail.com (make title clear)

Quote Originally Posted by iovah View Post
    Dear AUH Team:

I would like to volunteer my services when I have the spare time, and I think I might be a good choice.

Firstly, I am a PhD student of Chinese history with a strong interesting in Inner Asia as well. I am a fluent speaker of Chinese. Most importantly to you, I've read most of the necessary books already. Although I am not a Song dynasty scholar, I'm a Qing scholar, but I do often read literature from this period.

Secondly, I've been a major fan of the Total War series since I was in high school, and despite going on an academic path, I still maintain a love for the game. However, I have also been disappointed by the Eurocentricism in the game, and have long wished that other regions like East Asia (though India, Central Asia, Africa should be brought in. Broken Cresent was awesome) could be brought into the fold. I really believe the project you have been working on is excellent, and I wish to take part of it. I think "games" are more than just "fun," but can be an important tool of pedagogy and could act as a way to expand the horizons of teleologically Euro-centered minds.

If you still need help, please let me know. heseltonc@hotmail.com (make title clear)
    Fortunately they've announced Shogun II!

Is there any news about the current status of your computer?

thewolflord's Avatar Civis

I LOVE East Asian culture/history, but I lack knowledge about the period that AUH will take place in. However, SamuraiWiki could be of some help.

http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/ind...itle=Main_Page

It IS a wiki though, so beware.
    I'm really looking forward to this mod! You guys keep up the great work!

May I sign in?
    I have good understanding of Northern-Southern Song political, cultural and military institutions. I voluntarily offer my service and am willing to learn game mechanics to promote better coordination between a researcher and the rest of teammates.
    I am capable of reading Classical Chinese, translating Classical texts from relevant historical materials and also offer insights into secondary source published from Mainland China as well as from the West (more particular the US).

I do notice some problems with Song dynasty's models and am willing to help with art concepts as well as pictures taken from miniatures.
    Last edited by Cuong Vu; July 15, 2010 at 01:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast