Thread: The new "Sutton Hoo"

Default The new "Sutton Hoo"

Considering that this find concerns the time period and place of this mod, I wanted to post this interesting find. It's wonderful to have additional evidence on Anglo-Saxon culture, art, warfare, economy, etc., all of which can be extrapolated from this find. I do hope to read about it in a years time.

Article:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/8272058.stm

Pictures:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8272370.stm

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: The new "Sutton Hoo"

WOW, thanks mate.
    This is very interesting for me.

Interesting for everyone with a love for the past, even more for those who study or are interested in Anglo-Saxons, such as myself and you for example.

I do hope some new information will be gained from this find and I'm sorry I'm not able to go there and see the exhibit myself.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

I didn't catch where the exhibit was... Where is it?

Herr Lindstrom's Avatar Semisalis

Now I can understand why my ancestors all wanted a piece of Saxon treasures. Where's this exhibition? I need to assemble a number of warriors and a boat! juust kidding around.... or am I?

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

You can have my axe!

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to
    (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Herr Lindstrom's Avatar Semisalis

That offer is extremely tempting. What are the details of this axe because I have about 4

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

Aah I was just spoofing the lord of the rings, you know
    -You have my sword.
    -and my axe
    -and my bow
    or something like that

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to
    (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Unbelievable.
    Thanks to metal detectorists like Terry Herbert who does the work archaeologists don't have ressources or permission to do.
    So much of our past is buried in the ground and archaeologists often know where, but are seriously hampered in their work by existing infrastructure, governments and building contractors and so on, aswell as much treasure being destroyed by new construction. It is not unusual that bulldozers, or combine harvesters, make the first finds.

But we must be happy for what we do find, and these items are absolutely amazing, each picture breath-taking.
    I know you have already finished, or nearly finished, the units DaNova, but perhaps some of those helmet pieces and incredible sword and seax fittings could be an inspiration for future work of yours.

Edit: It will be on display at Birmingham Museum Art gallery, before it is moved to the British Museum in London.
    Last edited by Skandinav; October 07, 2009 at 08:44 PM.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Tell me about it... ever hear of wood quay in dublin?
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

No, not besides what I've gathered briefly from the internet, I would be very interested to know more ?

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Oh, i was pointing out as an example of bulldozers for archeologists. One of the largest finds of viking ireland destroyed by the arrogance of Dublin corporation, our city council. They never allowed a proper survey nor did they get planning permission before they set a massive block on top of the site of Dubh linn, the original site of the city.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

I love Anglo-Saxon metal working, so thanks for this article.

"I have only two regrets: I didn't shoot Henry Clay and I didn't hang John C. Calhoun."- Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    Oh, i was pointing out as an example of bulldozers for archeologists. One of the largest finds of viking ireland destroyed by the arrogance of Dublin corporation, our city council. They never allowed a proper survey nor did they get planning permission before they set a massive block on top of the site of Dubh linn, the original site of the city.
    sounds like Ireland need somthing like PPG16 or what ever the new revised version is called.

Imo this stuff may have more gold but tits still not as good as sutton hoo simply because the condition it is in. its on display at the BM right now and imo it mostly jus tlooks like gold scrap. Sutton hoo had some incredbily well preserved items whi still puts it far and above this hoard.