Thread: Largest hoard of Anglo-Saxon treasure found in UK

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

Default Largest hoard of Anglo-Saxon treasure found in UK

Largest hoard of Anglo-Saxon treasure found in UK

by The Associated Press

LONDON September 24, 2009, 06:20 am ET
    An amateur treasure hunter prowling English farmland with a metal detector stumbled upon what has been described as the largest Anglo-Saxon treasure ever discovered, a massive collection of gold and silver crosses, sword decorations and other items, British archaeologists said Thursday.
    One expert said the treasure would revolutionize understanding of the Anglo-Saxons, a Germanic people who ruled England from the fifth century until the Norman conquest in 1066. Another said the find would rank among Britain's best-known historic treasures.
    "This is just a fantastic find completely out of the blue," Roger Bland, who managed the cache's excavation, told The Associated Press. "It will make us rethink the Dark Ages. That's basically what it's going to do."
    The seventh century hoard, found by 55-year-old Terry Herbert on farmland in western England two months ago, consists of about 1,500 pieces of gold and silver, some inlaid with precious stones. So fine is the craftsmanship that experts say it could have belonged to Anglo-Saxon royalty.
    Herbert, from the town of Burntwood, found the gold on a friend's farm on July 5 and spent the next five days scouring the field for the rest of the hoard.
    "Imagine you're at home and somebody keeps putting money through your letterbox, that was what it was like," Herbert said. "I was going to bed and in my sleep I was seeing gold items."
    The hoard was officially declared treasure by a coroner, which means it will now be valued by a committee of experts and offered up for sale to a museum. Proceeds would be split fifty-fifty between Herbert and his farmer friend, who has not been identified. The find's exact location is being kept secret to deter looters.
    Bland said he could not give a precise figure for the worth of the hoard, but he said the treasure hunter could be in line for a "seven-figure sum."
    Herbert said the experience had been "more fun than winning the lottery," adding that one expert likened his discovery to finding Tutankhamen's tomb.
    "I just flushed all over when he said that. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up," Herbert said.
    The hoard is in storage at the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. Some of the items are due to go on display starting Friday.
    "The quantity of gold is amazing but, more importantly, the craftsmanship is consummate," said archaeologist Kevin Leahy, who catalogued the find. "This was the very best that the Anglo-Saxon metalworkers could do, and they were very good."
    Leahy said there was still much to learn about the treasure, its purpose, and its origins.
    "It looks like a collection of trophies, but it is impossible to say if the hoard was the spoils from a single battle or a long and highly successful military career," he said. "We also cannot say who the original, or the final, owners were, who took it from them, why they buried it or when. It will be debated for decades."
    Bland agreed, saying that archaeologists were still baffled by the function of many of the pieces they found.
    "There's lots of mystery in it," he said.
    Leslie Webster, an expert on Anglo-Saxons who used to work with the British Museum's Department of Prehistory and Europe, said the find was "absolutely the equivalent of finding a new Lindisfarne Gospels or Book of Kells" — a reference to famous manuscripts produced around the same time.
    Article Source: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=113153845

Website of the Staffordshire hoard: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=113153845

Some of the items that were found in the hoard.

Last edited by Jagdpanzer; September 24, 2009 at 08:29 AM.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Default Re: Largest hoard of Anglo-Saxon treasure found in UK

very nice!

Mcgruder's Avatar Tiro

Going to have to get myself a metal detector.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

It is believed that some of the treasure has come from as far as Sri Lanka. If this is correct, it will completely change our view of Dark Age Britain.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

i read something time ago, about an english law in which if someone finds something ancient, it can ask the 10% of valor of artifact turned in money. am i correct?

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by davide.cool View Post
    i read something time ago, about an english law in which if someone finds something ancient, it can ask the 10% of valor of artifact turned in money. am i correct?
    According to the Wikipedia article on the hoard, it's worth is more than a million pounds. The proceeds will be split between the landowner and the discoverer. So I don't think that you're correct.
    Staffordshire used to be a part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia (The Mark), which was the most important Anglo-Saxon kingdom. The hoard probably belonged to a Mercian ruler. Apparently it's a really important find. One expert compared it with the discovery of Tutankhamun's grave.

The British kingdoms around 800 AD.

The following article from The Guardian contains more information.
    Largest ever hoard of Anglo-Saxon gold found in Staffordshire

First pieces of gold were found in a farm field by an amateur metal detector who lives alone on disability benefit

A harvest of Anglo-Saxon gold and silver so beautiful it brought tears to the eyes of one expert, has poured out of a Staffordshire field - the largest hoard of gold from the period ever found.
    The weapons and helmet decorations, coins and Christian crosses amount to more than 1500 pieces, with hundreds still embedded in blocks of soil. It adds up to 5kg of gold – three times the amount found in the famous Sutton Hoo ship burial in 1939 – and 2.5kg of silver, and may be the swag from a spectacularly successful raiding party of warlike Mercians, some time around AD700.
    The first scraps of gold were found in July in a farm field by Terry Herbert, an amateur metal detector who lives alone in a council flat on disability benefit, who had never before found anything more valuable than a nice rare piece of Roman horse harness. The last pieces were removed from the earth by a small army of archaeologists a fortnight ago.
    Herbert could be sharing a reward of at least £1m, possibly many times that, with the landowner, as local museums campaign to raise funds to keep the treasure in the county where it was found.
    Leslie Webster, former keeper of the department of prehistory at the British Museum, who led the team of experts and has spent months poring over metalwork, described the hoard as "absolutely the equivalent of finding a new Lindisfarne Gospels or Book of Kells".
    "This is going to alter our perceptions of Anglo-Saxon England as radically, if not more so, as the Sutton Hoo discoveries," she predicted.
    The gold includes spectacular gem studded pieces decorated with tiny interlaced beasts, which were originally the ornamentation for Anglo-Saxon swords of princely quality: the experts would judge one a spectacular discovery, but the field has yielded 84 pommel caps and 71 hilt collars, a find without precedent.
    The hoard has just officially been declared treasure by a coroner's inquest, allowing the find which has occupied every waking hour of a small army of experts to be made public at Birmingham City Museum, where all the pieces have been brought for safe keeping and study.
    The find site is not being revealed, in case the ground still holds more surprises, even though archaeologists have now pored over every inch of it without finding any trace of a grave, a building or a hiding place.
    The field is now under grass, but had been ploughed deeper than usual last year by the farmer, which the experts assume brought the pieces closer to the surface. Herbert reported it as he has many previous small discoveries to Duncan Slarke, the local officer for the portable antiquities scheme, which encourages metal detectorists to report all their archaeological finds. Slarke recalled: "Nothing could have prepared me for that. I saw boxes full of gold, items exhibiting the very finest Anglo-Saxon workmanship. It was breathtaking."
    As archaeologists poured into the field, along with experts including a crack metal detecting scheme from the Home Office who normally work on crime scene forensics, Herbert brought one friend sworn to secrecy to watch, but otherwise managed not to breath a word to anyone – even the fellow members of his metal detecting society when they boasted of their own latest finds.
    None of the experts, including a flying squad from the British Museum shuttling between London and Birmingham, has seen anything like it in their lives: not just the quantity, but the dazzling quality of the pieces have left them groping for superlatives.
    They are still arguing about the date some of the pieces were made, the date they went into the ground, and the significance of most seemingly wrenched off objects they originally decorated. There are three Christian crosses, but they were folded up as casually as shirt collars. A strip of gold with a biblical inscription was also folded in half: it reads, in occasionally misspelled Latin, "Rise up O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate the be driven from thy face."
    Kevin Leahy, an expert on Anglo-Saxon metal who originally trained as a foundry engineer, and who comes from Burton-on-Trent, has been cataloguing the find and describes the craftsmanship as "consummate", but the make up of the hoard as unbalanced.
    "There is absolutely nothing feminine. There are no dress fittings, brooches or pendants. These are the gold objects most commonly found from the Anglo-Saxon ere. The vast majority of items in the hoard are martial - war gear, especially sword fittings."
    If the date of between AD650 and AD750 is correct, it is too early to blame the Vikings, and just too early for the most famous local leader, Offa of Offa's Dyke fame.
    Leahy said he was not surprised at the find being in Staffordshire, the heartland of the "militarily aggressive and expansionist" 7th century kings of Mercia including Penda, Wulfhere and Æthelred. "This material could have been collected by any of these during their wars with Northumbria and East Anglia, or by someone whose name is lost to history. Here we are seeing history confirmed before our eyes."
    Deb Klemperer, head of local history collections at the Potteries museum, and an expert on Saxon Staffordshire pottery, said: "My first view of the hoard brought tears to my eyes – the Dark Ages in Staffordshire have never looked so bright nor so beautiful."
    The most important pieces will be on display at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery from tomorrow until Tuesday October 13, and will then go to the British Museum for valuation – a process which will involve another marathon collaboration between experts. Their best guess today is "millions".
    Leahy, who still has hundreds of items to add to his catalogue, has in the past excavated several Anglo-Saxon sites including a large cemetery of clay pots full of cremated bone. He said: "After all those urns I think I deserve the Staffordshire find."

Mysteries of Mercia

It is no longer politically correct to refer to the period as the dark ages – but Anglo-Saxon England remains a shadowy place, with contradictory and confusing sources and archaeology. Yet out of it came much that is familiar in modern Britain, including its laws, its parish boundaries, a language that came to dominate the world, as well as metalwork and manuscript illumination of dazzling intricacy and beauty.
    Mercia was one of Britain's largest and most aggressive kingdoms, stretching from the Humber to London, its kings and chieftains mounting short but ferocious wars against all their neighbours, and against one another: primogeniture had to wait for the Normans, so it was rare for a king to reign unchallenged and die in his bed.
    They were nominally Christian by the date of the Staffordshire hoard, but sources including the Venerable Bede suggest that their faith was based more on opportune alliances than fervour.
    In south Staffordshire, at the heart of the kingdom, Tamworth was becoming the administrative capital and Lichfield the religious centre as the cult grew around the shrine of Saint Chad. There were few other towns, and most villages were still small settlements of a few dozen thatched buildings. Travel, if essential, would have been easier by boat: archaeology suggests that much of the Roman road network was decaying, and in many places scrub and forest was taking back land which had been farmed for centuries.
    The metalwork in the hoards came from a world very remote from the lives of most people, in mud and wattle huts under thatched roofs, living by farming, hunting, fishing, almost self-sufficient with their own weavers, potters and leather workers, needing to produce only enough surplus to pay dues to the land owner. A failing harvest would have been a far greater disaster than a battle lost or the death of one king and the rise of another.
    The world of their nobles is vividly evoked in poems like Beowulf, probably transcribed long after they became familiar as fireside recitations, of summer warfare and winter feasting in the beer hall, where generous gift giving was as important as wealth.
    Rich and poor lived in the incomprehensible shadow of a vanished civilisation, the broken cement and stone teeth of Roman ruins studding the countryside, often regarded with dread and explained as the work of giants or sorcerers. One poem in Old English evokes the eerie ruins of a bathing place, possibly Bath itself: "death took all the brave men away, their places of war became deserted places, the city decayed."
    Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/se...metal-detector

The Staffordshire hoard on Wikipedia.
    Last edited by Jagdpanzer; September 24, 2009 at 07:51 PM.

Yep I am looking around to buy a Metal Detector now, Not just to find stuff to sell (but that would be nice) but for that feeling of touching the object for the first time in hundreads of years (Spine Tinglling) anyway I doubt I'll find ought like this, but hopefully now more landowners will allow Metal Detectorists onto their land

if you find some gladius, post the picture here

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

"It will make us rethink the Dark Ages. That's basically what it's going to do."
    Could someone explain this to me? I mean, I understand it's very stunning to find all this gold and it obviously shows us that even though they lived in wooded sheds, the Anglo Saxons definately weren't poor buggers... But how does this actually redefine the Dark Ages?

I've only read in the articles and on Wikipedia that the archeologists call it a great find that alters the way we look upon history, but it doesn't really explain why.

Yorkshireman's Avatar Praefectus

25 pages of photo's of individual pieces in the Staffordshire hoard.

http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk...57622378376316

lol, my 56k will be out of order then. i'm loading the site

Quote Originally Posted by Rinan View Post
    Could someone explain this to me? I mean, I understand it's very stunning to find all this gold and it obviously shows us that even though they lived in wooded sheds, the Anglo Saxons definately weren't poor buggers... But how does this actually redefine the Dark Ages?

I've only read in the articles and on Wikipedia that the archeologists call it a great find that alters the way we look upon history, but it doesn't really explain why.
    Because the common misconception until recently was that after the Anglo-Saxon 'conquest', Britain had been cut off from the old Mediterranean-centric trade system (that trade with places as far a field as Sri Lanka and China) and had been isolated or focused on trade with their cousins on the North Sea and Baltic seaboard. Britain was assumed to have been made poorer and desolated by the invasion of the 'barbarians'. This view has been hard to change, but discoveries like this one show that the Dark Ages and the fall of the Roman Empire were not the mage-disasters we previously thought them have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinan View Post

Probably because it might be some insight that the dark ages werent THAT dark, that culturally atleast some movement was being made. I dont think it has anything to do with richness as it does that some of pieces look like they were quite impressive.

Mcgruder's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Raradir View Post
    Yep I am looking around to buy a Metal Detector now, Not just to find stuff to sell (but that would be nice) but for that feeling of touching the object for the first time in hundreads of years (Spine Tinglling) anyway I doubt I'll find ought like this, but hopefully now more landowners will allow Metal Detectorists onto their land
    I know what you mean. I live now in Iceland (I'm a Brit) and I don't think Metal detecting is big here at all, but i am keen to start.

I read that the total sum of Viking silver found in Iceland to date was 2 kgs and as for Gold, they have only ever found one Gold coin. Archeologists are certain there is a load of it out there. Some of that wealth raided from the rest of Europe must have made its way back here. Pagan Icelanders would bury Silver and Gold so it would be with them in the afterlife. It wasn't buried with them when they died, they buried it themselves.

I will have to check out the law here as well, as so few detect around here, perhaps there isn't much legislation. Probably have to vistit the police station and ask.

These kind of stories really get you thinking.
    "If a man has a tame white bear, then he is to handle it in the same way as a dog and similarly pay for damages it does."
    Grágás, the Icelandic book of Laws