Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RTW Faction Swapper v1.0 Working

Default Re: RTW Faction Swapper v1.0 Working

This may sound stupid
    I think i've been doing this all wrong because i put the normal RTW desc_fm_factions in the mod folder instead of the mods descr_fm_factions txt.
    Is this possible? I'll try again soon.

OMG what the heck! I finally did it and now i can't do it. When i try to swap a faction with the other it says operation failed and a lot of other things. I can see everything is marked with OK though...weird. Please help?
    Last edited by Aragorn II Elessar; May 02, 2011 at 04:37 PM.

Default Re: RTW Faction Swapper v0.7 Beta

Hey, it says error parsing files and something about symbols and stuff. Can you please help?

It doesn't work for me either, but I don't know why. You need to give more information though if you really want to be helped

No. screw this . I'm done trying bud

gamer025's Avatar Civis

I don't understand what this tool does. Is it meant to swap the locations of two factions to put a little twist on things?

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

No it changes the internal of a faction to another name, or swaps internal names between 2 faction. Basically it can be used to make the coding in your files easier to read so that if you had a faction called Illyria in game it would actually be called illyria in the files as well.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gamer025 View Post
    I don't understand what this tool does. Is it meant to swap the locations of two factions to put a little twist on things?
    It's a tool to make things easier for modders and not for players

gamer025's Avatar Civis

I do some light modding. Does this tool allow you to make a new faction by renaming and swapping all units/buildings of a faction to your new one?

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

No. You cannot make new factions in RTW. You can only replace existing factions with a new faction. All this tool does is change the internal name of a faction to a new name.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Hi

I need some help here, i have changed the name of the Brutti to Test (just to test things out) but when i try to run the imperial campaign the game goes back to select the campign screen. What am i missing?

I have downloaded version 1.0 of this tool, i just don't understand whats wrong, the other thing thats missing is the factions symbols aren't showing up, it leaves a blank space which if clicked on selecs the new faction "Test".

I know it can't be a file i missed because i simply copied the itire data folder into the mods folder , maybe a file that needs manually editing, but which one(s) are the known files if any?

Thanks in advance
    Roy.

Update 1:
    Never mind, i figured it out. It was a fault i had made with a file (mixed my modded files with a few vanilla ones). This is now working perfectly, thanks for creating this amazing tool, only had to edit a few files to get the faction to use the new name.

Update 2:
    Now i'm having a new problem where thegame won't allow me to play a imperial campaign. When i click imperial campaign it gives me a message about select from the list. And to make things more complicated there is now a provicial campaign which doesn't make sence as i use the imperial campaign not provicial campaigns. So it shouldn't even be there, and when you open p[rovicial campaign there is no campaigns to select anyway. Anyway idea's why 1) the game tells me to select from the list when selecting imperial campaign and 2) why on earth there is a provincial campaign?
    Last edited by Roy974; August 24, 2011 at 07:31 AM.

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

I am confused.
    What this does?
    Repleace the stuff in {backets} ?
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    No it changes the internal of a faction to another name, or swaps internal names between 2 faction. Basically it can be used to make the coding in your files easier to read so that if you had a faction called Illyria in game it would actually be called illyria in the files as well.

What does swapping factions exactly do? The name is pretty obvious, it swaps factions, but when a faction is swapped, wouldn't that make (for example) the House of Scipii turn into Egypt and vice versa?

"It's me, Smeagol."
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillology View Post
    What does swapping factions exactly do? The name is pretty obvious, it swaps factions, but when a faction is swapped, wouldn't that make (for example) the House of Scipii turn into Egypt and vice versa?
    No, all it does is change (for example):

Code:
    {ROMANS_BRUTII}          Epirus
    To:

Code:
    {EPIRUS}                      Epirus
    So it doesn't affect your game at all. it just makes coding much more convenient as you can alter the code names to match the ingame names. Since changing the code name requires you to change almost all files, doing it manually is a real pain, but this tool helps with that.

I can see no one has posted here in a while, but i am trying to swap a faction but am getting several errors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RTW faction swap.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	365.2 KB 
ID:	280588

I know how to fix error #1 but of the others i don't know where to start.

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Reuploaded the v1.0 to TWC Downloads since the link in the first post was dead.
    RTW Faction Swapper 1.0
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

Thanks for the repost. I was able to turn Spain into Greek Cities#2 in just under an hour.

And for those that might get confused on how this works, don't copy-paste the contents of data_swapped into your mod folder. Open the same text file in your mod folder and data swapped, and simply transfer the information from one text to the other. Press ctrl-f to bring up the text search bar incase you are unaware of it. Type in the faction names you are looking for and copy paste from one to the other. It may not be the quick fix you were hoping for, but it damn sure saves you weeks of frustrations and infantile hissy fits from unexplained ctd's.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234