Thread: Pisa

Default Pisa

Pisa. Along with Venice and Genoa, it is one of the three great maritime states of northern Italy. Situated near the Tyrhennian Sea in the heart of Tuscany, Pisa is well-poised to exert a grip over not Italy, but, through trade and conquest, the Mediterrananean.

Overview of the city. Slightly updated texturing compared to the other screenshots.

A view of the area of Pisa south of the Arno River. This area should be represented as a Permanent Stone Fort. If one successfully takes the city, then he will spawn in this area. Note that the southern city is not actually on the map, only the cleared area between it and the river is.

A view of the area of Pisa north of the Arno River; the walled area of the city. You can also see the farms and hamlets that dot its outskirts.

A close-up of the walled city itself.

Suggestions for extra content for the city are welcome, personally, I feel that it is a bit bland.

A big thanks to Sutman for his maps, which were of great assistance.

Meister Röhrich's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Pisa

Great work as always, some suggestions though: first place a small fortified house or country estate on each of the high hills, peaks in the area, that way it looks a bit more lively, second smooth the river borders more, best to do that in several steps with medium sized brushes, from low altitude to high, that is at least my method, overall it looks really nice though!

Quote Originally Posted by DerÄrzteFan View Post
    Great work as always, some suggestions though: first place a small fortified house or country estate on each of the high hills, peaks in the area, that way it looks a bit more lively, second smooth the river borders more, best to do that in several steps with medium sized brushes, from low altitude to high, that is at least my method, overall it looks really nice though!
    Excellent suggestions, I'll go through and do those edits.

Quote Originally Posted by retep219 View Post
    Excellent suggestions, I'll go through and do those edits.
    Thank you for hearing my advice! But now I really have to go to bed, good night.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Looks really cool, can't wait to play this map! Was the sea visible from the city at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Looks really cool, can't wait to play this map! Was the sea visible from the city at all?
    I don't know, but this was the only map I could find that was low enough to fit a city and river without obnoxious cliffs that was not actually on top of the sea in the manner of Alexandria and Genoa.

New pictures! Updated map this time:

Overview of the city:

Another angle:

A different view:

Farmland added on top of the hills:

Very well done mate, my congrats!

Spot on

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

I don't understand what you mean:
    A view of the area of Pisa south of the Arno River. This area should be represented as a Permanent Stone Fort. If one successfully takes the city, then he will spawn in this area.
    Miss me yet?

Quote Originally Posted by IPA35 View Post
    I don't understand what you mean:
    Some big or heavy fortified settlements that were historically lying at a river, stretching on the other side of it will be represented by a city plus a PSF to represent suburbs/citadels, so to control the province you would have to take both of them.

I see, I just don't get the 'spawn' part.
    Miss me yet?

I see, I just don't get the 'spawn' part.
    Well he meant the area where your army will begin the battle to take the PSF I think, so the area between the PSF and the river.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

where is the leaning tower?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    where is the leaning tower?
    93 years into the future, and there isn't any good model I could use to make it even if I wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by retep219 View Post
    93 years into the future
    back to the future baby!

Quote Originally Posted by DerÄrzteFan View Post
    Well he meant the area where your army will begin the battle to take the PSF I think, so the area between the PSF and the river.
    Two settlements on one battle map??
    Miss me yet?

Two settlements on one battle map??
    No, I only found out about THAT five minutes ago. No, the settlement you can see is just a jumble of random ambient and techtree buildings (if you looked closely, which is impossible, most of them would be floating about six inches off the ground) that depicts the ACTUAL southern part of Pisa. This area is represented as a PSF in the game. If one conquers the PSF then lays siege to Pisa and attacks from across the river, then, in theory, they would spawn there. Not sure if we can manage it to work though.