ID:	332304

Building Chain
    Building Chain

Technology Tree
    Technology Tree

Graphics Development
    Graphics Development

Faction Philosophy

Russia's artillery is a masterpiece of this mod, and the core of every russian army.

Infantry has only one use on the battlefield, and that is to hold the line until those great bears, the Russian guns, can have sufficient time to maul the enemy. In addition to a greater preponderance of guns in each battery, Russia also possesses several unique pieces:
    A Licorne/Unicorn/Capricorn is a long-barrelled howitzer. It was a weapon that was ahead of its time, as 100 years later, in the American Civil War, one of the most-used weapons was the M1857 12-lber Napoleon Gun-Howitzer, which was essentially a French version of the same thing. Shuvalov's Secret Howitzer was a weapon expressly designed for scattering canister shot everywhere. The Russians loved this weapon, and equipped damn near all of their artillery batteries with at least one of them. Bliznyatki is basically an array of 4 "Baby Coehorn" mortars mounted on a single bed.
    Russia's infantry are weak at shooting and only marginally better at melee. They cannot, on a man-to-man basis, stand up to any other faction's line, with the possible exception of Poland. But who's talking about a man-to-man basis? What the Russians lack in ability and morale, they more than make up for in numbers.
    The bullet is a mad thing, only the bayonet knows what it is about.
    Truthfully, however, Russia's infantry is not entirely without merit: the nation, beginning with the military reforms of Peter the Great and continuing into the Germanification of Empress Anna, has instituted a proud Guards tradition, and its three Imperial Guard Infantry units (the Preobrazhinski, the Siemenovski, and the Ismailovski, in order of precedence) are without peer. If only the same could be said of the Cavalry formation, the Garde à Cheval. This unit, instituted by Empress Anna, is purely for ceremonial functions; its soldiers are, without exception, officers, and it has been observed that rank was gained more for a man's ability in the Empress' bed than for any other consideration, which tradition was extended into the reigns of Empress Elizabeth and Catherine.

Russia's state cavalry has proven several times that it cannot keep up with its neighbours. Its horses are too light and the army's morale too low to compete with either the Swedes or the Poles. The abandonment of the field upon first sighting the enemy at Narva by the entire Russian noble-born cavalry has caused Peter the Great to begin one of his first great reforms: the replacement of the entire cavalry arm with Western-style Dragoons. These Dragoons, as it would later be proved, were hardly an improvement, and it wasn't until Empress Anna and the reforms of her German military advisor Munnich that Russia would benefit from heavy German horses, and the sure charge that such beasts provide. Until those heady days prior to the Seven Year's War, Russia must rely on their many Cossack hosts to field any kind of capable cavalry; Russia can call upon the Don Cossacks, with their incredible horse-mounted skirmishing ability, and the Zaporozhian Cossacks, whose lances can break a unit on the first charge. If all else fails, the Emperor may choose to send forth the Tatars, descendents of the Khans, still living on the great Asian Steppes, and still fighting like their grandfathers did, using bows from the saddle.

Late campaign faction description by CroHunger_999:

Catherine II's meddling in Sweden's internal affairs and the support to the political opposition have not gone unnoticed by Gustav III and have made war in the north inevitable. Do not expect much from the Danes as a new pro-British political current will soon replace the old pro-Russian one. The joint attack on Sweden is impossible due to their tactical and desirable alliance with France. Any attack on Sweden would automatically involve Russia in a war with France and would worsen relations with other nations and cause sanctions.

To the south, the slow decline of the Ottoman Empire has become the centre of international politics. However, their demise will not come that quickly as the Ottomans still have the support of France, and are soon to gain new supporters. The annexation of the Crimean Khanate can be a start and will enable you to build a Black Sea fleet to counter the Ottoman navy. This would open your ports to new trade routes in the Mediterranean. With the crisis caused by the civil war, Crimea will be an easy target, the people have already decided.

Persia is close to an end to civil war and a new dynasty will arise, one not so willing to let Russian interests expand southward into Dagestan. Georgia has awaited Russian protection with fervour, but Russia currently does not have the opportunity nor resources to assert its influence there.

To the west lies Poland, a once powerful kingdom but now a petty servant of the Empire waiting to be partitioned. Be careful your interests do not clash with those of Prussia as it could trigger a new global war.

Tensions are high and resources are low so good relations with central powers are crucial if you want to keep your new territorial gains. Catherine's dream of creating a Greek kingdom will have to wait.
    Last edited by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus; March 09, 2019 at 02:12 PM.

Default Russian Arty?

Having some tech problems, so I can't bring up E:TW IS myself to check, but what exactly is it that makes Russian artillery so infamous in this mod? Is there any difference between, say, a Russian 6lber and a Prussian 6lber? Or does Russia have special artillery pieces that noone else gets?

Default Re: Russian Arty?

Russia actually has a ton of special artillery pieces that no one else gets. Plus, they have more guns per battery, and their equipment (not their crews) are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucan View Post
    Russia actually has a ton of special artillery pieces that no one else gets. Plus, they have more guns per battery, and their equipment (not their crews) are better.
    Awesome, thanks for the quick response! +REP

Quote Originally Posted by JMSlayer View Post
    Or does Russia have special artillery
    Yeah one that causes the sky to become dark with metal... causing great fear amongst my men when facing them.

Quote Originally Posted by JMSlayer View Post
    Having some tech problems, so I can't bring up E:TW IS myself to check, but what exactly is it that makes Russian artillery so infamous in this mod? Is there any difference between, say, a Russian 6lber and a Prussian 6lber? Or does Russia have special artillery pieces that noone else gets?

Just posted screenshot with one of their "special weapons" in screenshot thread. You can take a look, and it's real killer in battles.

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

Try the "Secret Howitzer". It's all you really need to know about Russian Arty...

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

Quote Originally Posted by Erunion Telcontar View Post
    Try the "Secret Howitzer". It's all you really need to know about Russian Arty...
    After i have seen what kind of damage and slaughter 1/2 pounder Licornes does, i am scared to try Shuvalov. All those "secret weapons" are slow to reload , but when they do..oh boy...
    Last edited by Tariq; September 28, 2009 at 12:42 PM.

For anybody that knows anything about the American Civil War, that 12-lber Napoleon Gun-Howitzer that was used to such great effect was essentially copied from the Russian Licorne.

Long-barrelled howitzer. Same principle.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Tariq View Post
    After i have seen what kind of damage and slaughter 1/2 pounder Licornes does, i am scared to try Shuvalov. All those "secret weapons" are slow to reload , but when they do..oh boy...
    Oh man those things are devastating. I often times will route 2 units right off the bat with the 1/2 Pud Licornes. Literally, as soon as the battle starts, it usually only takes 20 seconds or so for someone to route if I have the Licornes present. God had no fury like a Russian artillery piece.

Yeah. Russia has some amazing arty. But they're good to make up for the horrendous other units =P Their infantry are nearly garbage, their elite infantry only pretty good. cavalry, except for the tatars and cossacks, are pretty terrible. I mean, I've had boyars route with nearly a full regiment. But yeah. Use the arty well cuz they're the linchpin of your army =P

Quote Originally Posted by Notees View Post
    I mean, I've had boyars route with nearly a full regiment. But yeah. Use the arty well cuz they're the linchpin of your army =P

Use Boyars to their strengths. I conquered Dagestan using them strictly(and some Streltsy as a fodder), although Lackluster BAI didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Notees View Post
    Yeah. Russia has some amazing arty. But they're good to make up for the horrendous other units =P Their infantry are nearly garbage, their elite infantry only pretty good. cavalry, except for the tatars and cossacks, are pretty terrible. I mean, I've had boyars route with nearly a full regiment. But yeah. Use the arty well cuz they're the linchpin of your army =P
    Elite infantry only pretty good? I'm rolling right now. There elite infantry is utterly awesome and pwnsome. Seriously, they are without equal.

Merging this all into Russian Gameplay Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Tariq View Post
    Use Boyars to their strengths. I conquered Dagestan using them strictly(and some Streltsy as a fodder), although Lackluster BAI didn't help.
    What are their strengths? I've used them with great success against the Crimeans in siege battles where they would start to come out of the fort, but other than that...

Default Re: Russia - Gameplay Discussion

Boyars don't really have any strengths. Neither do Streltsi.

The only thing they're good for is a cheap garrison unit, but you almost immediately get Garrison Infantry and Garrison Dragoons to take their places.

BUT, they are necessary for those early games. While it is entirely possible to research Streltsi Reforms 3 or 4 turns into the game, it's also possible that you might want to research something else instead.

Like more artillery techs.

And yes, as far as I know the 3 Imperial Guard Infantry regiments are without peer.

The Garde a Cheval, on the other hand, is not, as the men of that unit spent more time jockeying for who got the Empress' "attentions" than anything else.

I wasn't even going to put the unit in the game, for exactly that reason (they weren't a combat unit), but then CA went and introduced them.

Grr.
    Last edited by The Vicar; September 28, 2009 at 11:09 PM.

I guess I never used them all that much. I relied a lot on artillery and cossack/tatar skirmishers. I had the 3 different kinds of elite units split up into different regiments, so i had one kind in one stack, and the others in their own. Guess they are pretty good. I think I like the portugese fuziliers more though =P Then again I never use artillery and hardly use cavalry with portugal. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Lucan View Post
    What are their strengths? I've used them with great success against the Crimeans in siege battles where they would start to come out of the fort, but other than that...

Bait...lure units one by one with one of Boyars, they are still quite mobile(i used same tactics against Pahlava and Saka in EB with great success). If you don't have any other units or finances to get other units, after you bait one of enemies units 3-4 Boyars can quickly kill it then retreat.They never routed on me.

I had to resort to that against Dagestan, when i was left without any options in begining of the game. And i still have some of them in Don-Volsko (after 120+ turns) in case if i need to do some raiding with cheapest force that is easily replaceable.Didn't recruit any of them other then initial batch though.

But , i am also using garrison cavalry in half of my armies, with no issues so far. 4 units of those per army are sufficient enough.
    Last edited by Tariq; September 29, 2009 at 11:36 AM.

Started my new campaign as Russia and noted a few things...

The 1.4 artillery targetting is really killing me. It used to be that I could count on %75 of shots to overshoot the mark. Now you've really got no clue where those shots are going to land. There's just sort of a vaguely circular area they plot into. Deadliness-wise, things seem to have dropped off a bit...maybe a conflict between IS changes and 1.4 changes? The chance of a shot bouncing seems to have dropped a lot. I had a lot of rounds that hit their targets only kill one man, since they plonked right into the ground.

The ability to shoot on the move has made Don cossacks and suchlike pure ownage. I love it

Downsizing the generals units made sense, but it's killed their only real purpose besides the morale boost...chasing routers. They just lack the killing-power now.

The AI still has an annoying habit of moving it's units just outside of the cannon's mystical red circle of doom range-marker. And they can still somehow equip every company with a psychic who knows when my cannons are targeting them. It's annoying.

The Crimean Khannate was a complete pushover. Thrashed them with a couple units of streltsy and Ukrainian Militia. The last battle, their mobs and horse archers vs. my cannons and militia, ended up with something like 85:1400 casualties. On the plus side, my Donskii's now have 3 chevrons after only two battles. It's nice to see experience actually makes a difference. In vanilla (as far as I've seen) stat changes only occur every two chevrons...for whatever reason. And artillery didn't get any boost at all.

Reloading times are MUCH better on the arty. Those 5 minute reloads before broke the flow, I think.

5 minutes?

5 minutes?

I must be missing something.

3-lber = 30 seconds.
    6-lber = 40 seconds.
    9-lber = 50 seconds.
    12-lber = 60 seconds.

5 minutes? What artillery? Which faction? What sizes?

where/when/how/why/who?

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast