Thread: Pyrrhos...the Chuck Norris of Antiquity????

Default Pyrrhos...the Chuck Norris of Antiquity????

Yes most will remember him for being the standard definition for a disastrous victory but for me Pyrrhos will forever become the definition of a whats it meant to be a tough ass mother er.

Why?? Well reading Plutarch's biography on him i come across...THIS!!!!

Pyrrhus himself had just learned of his son's death, and in an angony of grief ordered his Molossian cavalry to charge the Spartans. He himself rode at their head and strove to drown his sorrow in Spartan blood. He had always shown himself to be an irresistible and terrifying fighter, but this time his daring had surpassed anything that had been seen before. When he rode at Evalcus, the Spartan side-stepped his charge and aimed a blow with his sword that had just missed Pyrrhus'bridle hand and sheared through the reins. Pyrrhus ran him through with his lance but in the same moment fell from his horse: he went on fighting on foot and cut to pieces the picked company of spartans who were fighting around the body of Evalcus.- Plutarch, Pyrrhus C.30

Ok simply put...Pyrrhus lead his companions of flatterers, orgie homeboys, house security guards and dinner buddies plus a few horsemen in a direct charge against the most hardened Spartans warrior fully prepared for the charge. He gone in and beat the crap out of the best of these hardened elite spartans warrior.

So yes butt ugly Pyrrhus maybe but he's better at maths then that geek in your high school class (army logistic= many many MATHS!!!!), great at talking, competent general and make a sacrifcial ceremony out of hardened spartan warriors. Personally i think he just overtaken Liam Nelson's place as the most badass father ever.

SO RS team if amateur historians come Q_Qing about general bodyguards being too tough then point them to Pyrrhus .

Now coming to think about it....that Roman cavalrymen who unhorse him must have been the Bruce Lee of Antiquity....

Default Re: Pyrrhos...the Chuck Norris of Antiquity????

Very interesting . . . but not quite complete

. . . who's Plutarch's counterpart? The most badass of all, I'm sure. Whoever it might be

I actually wonder - is the hoplitic overhand phalanx good at repelling cavalry? I mean, they're not bracing their spears if it's overhand, so they must feel the full impact of the charge. It seems a little odd to me when cavalry crashes into militia hoplites and only a few of them die (less than to a volley of javelins?) Or did they actually ground their spears (bronze spikes on the back of their spear)?

Ironically, the sword hoplites do pretty badly against properly formed militia hoplites.

Much more of an Octavian/Augustus hide in the reed beds and wait and see what happens when those rough soldiers have finished fighting sort of general myself.

Although it is interesting to speculate what posterity would make of the Pyrster had he defeated an enemy with a more traditional outlook on accepting battlefield defeat.
    Last edited by Mr_Fluffy; September 23, 2009 at 01:36 AM.

No one said Spartans can't die. They just go to Hell to regroup.

<<Un collègue; un ami.>>

Quote Originally Posted by Theoroshia View Post
    No one said Spartans can't die. They just go to Hell to regroup.

schnappit, but that's funny!
    May You Rest In Peace Calvin

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Also, don't forget that the Spartans Phyrrus faced were no longer the ultimately best military force in the world like in Leonidas's time. They were strong, well trained, that's true, but far from their original glory.

As seen in the RSII preview, these Spartans are not those Spartans.

Yeah, Pyrrhos was a BAMF...
    Optio, Legio I Latina