Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Should Prussia be playable in NTW ?

Default Should Prussia be playable in NTW ?

Coffees being spilled.........I mean this in a nice way,I like Prussia in this period........ but I have reservations that it is a viable playable faction.Surrounded by the titans of France,Austria,and Russia,it is surely too unrealistic to expect to be able to play your way through (alliance with Austria and hope to keep "out of the way" ?).In the offered time 1805 - 1812 historically Prussia was in fact too minor to "survive",overwhelmed by Napoleon in one game turn ( one battle,or maybe two simultaneous battles ,1806).In 1813 Prussia had something to offer the bigger Allies,and of course in 1815 Blucher made the difference at Waterloo,but these phoenix - like flickers are after the proposed campaign game expires (and post - "conquest", anyway).......I can't see Prussia surviving more than a few years so should it default to being a non - player faction ( ie it would be "fun", but futile )? ............As a sensible alternative , I suggest the Ottoman Empire as the sort of playable faction that might have the resources to roll with the big boys...........
    Last edited by Husayn Bayqara; September 22, 2009 at 11:35 PM.

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Default Re: Should Prussia be playable in NTW ?

Yes, if it weren't for the Prussians, Waterloo would've been lost(most probably)
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Yes,I know........but in this NTW campaign game (1805 - 1812 ?) Prussia "must" be steam - rolled very early on by one of her giant neighbours.......unplayable! (I'm meaning re game balance/sense ,not just history ....or favourites ).

ssmarine's Avatar Biarchus

Hell yes they should! They should be the hardest campaign!

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Absolutely yes!

obviously. why would this even be contested? it's a no brainer. this is like asking if britain or austria is going to be playable.
    Always trying harder to help you make an informed decision.

They would be the hardest campaign ! Futile ? Probably. If you start as Prussia , just how do you expect to survive (ie as an "alternative history" ?)? Prussia was nothing like Britain or Austria (and even Austria went down,in game terms)..........
    Last edited by Husayn Bayqara; September 22, 2009 at 11:33 PM.

this game isn't about recreating history. if the player is capable, he should be able to dominate as prussia if he wants.
    Always trying harder to help you make an informed decision.

But I expect you would be standing like a deer in the headlights..............(what could be done ?)
    Last edited by Husayn Bayqara; September 23, 2009 at 12:06 AM.

Scheiße Preiß'n!

prussia needs to be playable

Salvo's Avatar Maréchal de l'Empire

All factions should be playable.

... r u kidding?
    Prussia is a must. Like Greece in RTR, or Byzantium in SS. Total underdog, the perfect platform from which to launch the most astonishing comeback in history!

Yes, they were a major power and should be playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Husayn Bayqara View Post
    As a sensible alternative , I suggest the Ottoman Empire as the sort of playable faction that might have the resources to roll with the big boys...........
    Not really an alternative imho. It was constantly beaten by the Russians and they had luck that Muhammed Ali didnīt conquer Constantinople.

yes yes and yes again, prussia would make for a good challenge, and there just the greatest faction ever.

you could use the same argument for Prussia not being playable in 1700...it wasn't even a kingdom back then (afaik it became one in 1701 ^^). So why is it playable in ETW?

I can't believe I have lived to see this question being asked...
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

So you think you can save Prussia from its historical fate ? What resources will you have available in NTW that they did not have then ? Prussia was conquered in "one turn" by the French in 1806, so if the feel is to be authentic, Prussia would (realistically) be a minor non - player faction like the myriad of smaller European states ,surely.

O.k. first of all - Prussia was not conquered and annexed as a french province. It was only defeated and existed even after 1807 as itīs own and independent state.

Second we are talking about a game. By playing it, we can change history.
    Donīt say e.g. that you havenīt conquered any province in ETW when playing France or the Ottomans, because it was ahistorical that they possessed half Europe ...

p.s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
    All factions should be playable.
    This would be the right solution. But with some changes to the gameplay. Large and important states should be able to dominate the campaign map, small ones have to fight for their survival during most of the campaign.
    Last edited by Xerrop; September 23, 2009 at 03:17 AM.

But Prussia could not contribute anything else in the 1805 - 1812 scenario........the record is that it had no chance to stand up by itself against super - powers the likes of France.......what it gave in 1806 does not impress as worthy of a playable faction able to hold its own............or do we depart from history that far?

You are right that this werenīt the heydays of Prussias Glory.

But think about the starting positions at the beginn of the campaign- that will probably be in 1805.
    Back then Prussia was the fifth most important state in Europe, even when their military was weak and had later in 1806/1807 no chance against France.

By your logic Carthage in RTW or Sweden in ETW shouldnīt be playable factions, cause they lost their power short after the campaign begins.

p.s. without Prussia there would only be four nations left, wouldnīt be very exciting for most players
    Last edited by Xerrop; September 23, 2009 at 03:26 AM.

Salvo's Avatar Maréchal de l'Empire

I think there should be events allowing us (playing as France) to create new faction, like Dutchy of Warsaw.
    This would be also nice to be able to create Rhein Confederacy (something between big alliance and new faction) after conquering Germany.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast