Thread: Alexandria

Default Alexandria

Alexandria. City of Egypt. This port city has a history stretching back since it was founded by Alexander himself in the Nile Delta. The city now hosts his tomb, along with a legacy of trade and prosperity, broken by few wars in Egypt. But with the great hosts of the Crusades now marching east, the city will need many defences.... For it is not that far from Jersualem to Alexandria....(Well, that is assuming that the crusade actually is called on Jerusalem.)

Overviews of the city

A view of the port of Alexandria.

Another view of the port, plus nearby suburbs.

An end of the Nile...a canal around Alexandria.

Another view of the canal, plus farmland.

A huge thanks to Spainish_Emperor for contributing no less than five images and maps of the city. And credit to DerAtzeFan for a few techiniques of his that I copied from Mosul....

Default Re: Alexandria

beautiful
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Very nice!

I guess the defender can only place men inside the walls am I right?
    Miss me yet?

Had fallen in a severe state of disrepair at the start of the game. Including it (as a complete building) would be kinda awkward.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Meister Röhrich's Avatar Tiro

Dude, this is a masterpiece, best settlement of you so far! Come on guys, give the man a bit more rep, he really deserves it as I can imagine how hard it was to modify the coastline that accurate!

PS: maybe you could partly retexture the river areas, so that they look more fertile? That would look even better I think, don't know exactly, but i believe it is one of the two forest textures, that look like farmlands afterwards.
    Last edited by Meister Röhrich; September 23, 2009 at 05:46 AM.

magnifique!

Awesome job!!!

(I just discover this subforum of Historic Settlements)

Quote Originally Posted by Elphir View Post
    Had fallen in a severe state of disrepair at the start of the game. Including it (as a complete building) would be kinda awkward.
    I added some ruins where the Pharos was, though it is probably depicted in considerably worse state than it was then, because I really couldn't create a damaged lighthouse, only a destroyed one.

Quote Originally Posted by DerÄrzteFan View Post
    Dude, this is a masterpiece, best settlement of you so far! Come on guys, give the man a bit more rep, he really deserves it as I can imagine how hard it was to modify the coastline that accurate!

PS: maybe you could partly retexture the river areas, so that they look more fertile? That would look even better I think, don't know exactly, but i believe it is one of the two forest textures, that look like farmlands afterwards.
    Good idea. It's the dense_forest texture that, ironically enough, looks like fertile river silt. I'll probably get around to doing that soon. Thanks for the help!

Alexandria battle test successful. I set up the attacking army at the area near where the canal meets the sea, with one ram, one siege tower, two ladders, and a cavalry. I had one cavalry and one gunner. The siege tower did nothing. Both ladder units stormed the walls, quickly followed by the ram unit, which ditched the ram and ran up a ladder as soon as they were placed....*sigh*. The enemy waited till every infantry unit except the siege tower was on the walls before running down and killing my gunners (who killed about eighty enemy soldiers just by standing there and shooting the AI as it sat and waited on the wall for more men) and charging the square. I ran my cavalry out of the square after a short melee that the AI was winning and dashed around the city to attack their general. The AI at the siege tower suddenly became unstuck and rushed over to assist their general. Similarily, the units from the square, instead of capturing the square, also ran to assist their general. Anyways, my last cavalry unit was surrounded and butchered....the AI won.

Summary:

Glitches/Problems:
    1. Siege tower AI would not cross bridge.
    2. AI abandoned ram as soon as ladders reached walls.
    3. AI general was completely passive until charged.
    4. AI units sat on walls until all infantry was on them even though gunners were firing at them from the street.

Some of this may be normal AI behavior in vanilla though, I can't tell.

Meister Röhrich's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by retep219 View Post
    Alexandria battle test successful. I set up the attacking army at the area near where the canal meets the sea, with one ram, one siege tower, two ladders, and a cavalry. I had one cavalry and one gunner. The siege tower did nothing. Both ladder units stormed the walls, quickly followed by the ram unit, which ditched the ram and ran up a ladder as soon as they were placed....*sigh*. The enemy waited till every infantry unit except the siege tower was on the walls before running down and killing my gunners (who killed about eighty enemy soldiers just by standing there and shooting the AI as it sat and waited on the wall for more men) and charging the square. I ran my cavalry out of the square after a short melee that the AI was winning and dashed around the city to attack their general. The AI at the siege tower suddenly became unstuck and rushed over to assist their general. Similarily, the units from the square, instead of capturing the square, also ran to assist their general. Anyways, my last cavalry unit was surrounded and butchered....the AI won.

Summary:

Glitches/Problems:
    1. Siege tower AI would not cross bridge.
    2. AI abandoned ram as soon as ladders reached walls.
    3. AI general was completely passive until charged.
    4. AI units sat on walls until all infantry was on them even though gunners were firing at them from the street.

Some of this may be normal AI behavior in vanilla though, I can't tell.
    1: could depend on the height in which you placed the bridge, I had a similar problem with Mosul bridge: every time the ram stucked on a specific edge of the terrain until I increased the height and flattened therefore the area around it
    2:propably normal
    3:same i think
    4:also normal behaviour as far as I know, AI always waits until all men went off the siege tower/ladders

I think in general more mosques should be added, as in Muslim cities there tended to be MANY mosques and in the case of Christian Europe, cities had MANY churches so I think more should be put in

Hey,
    Really heart touching pictures.I think It is an independent city in the Commonwealth of Virginia...