Thread: New city: Mosul

Meister Röhrich's Avatar Tiro

Default New city: Mosul

Y'all ready for Mosul? here it comes:

overview
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

when I placed the farms at the Tigris I had the idea to give them irrigation by river water, here you can see how it looks like

small swamp

fertile river valley

I've already tested it and have good news since placing citadels or buildings that look like that inside cities seem to work if not placed on a normal building area where the game calculates a specific building afterwards
    Last edited by Meister Röhrich; September 22, 2009 at 11:24 AM.

Senator

Default Re: New city: Mosul

Nice work - the swamp is my personal favourite!

Is that a bridge leading to a gatehouse i can see? Cause if it is then thats just awesome.
    Ever since i saw the film The messenger: Story of Joan of Arc i've been amazed by any fortification that encorporates the use of Rivers, bridges, and gatehouses as a combination into its defence because of the scene where the french assault the "Chateau des tourelles" at Orleans. Btw, if you have'nt seen that movie i strongly suggest it, its immense.

(about the bridge/gatehouse i mean the 'fertile river valley' screenie. Oh, and another thing. I can't see the first two screenie's for some reason??? :S)
    Last edited by Goodfella; September 22, 2009 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post
    Is that a bridge leading to a gatehouse i can see? Cause if it is then thats just awesome.
    Ever since i saw the film The messenger: Story of Joan of Arc i've been amazed by any fortification that encorporates the use of Rivers, bridges, and gatehouses as a combination into its defence because of the scene where the french assault the "Chateau des tourelles" at Orleans. Btw, if you have'nt seen that movie i strongly suggest it, its immense.

(about the bridge/gatehouse i mean the 'fertile river valley' screenie. Oh, and another thing. I can't see the first two screenie's for some reason??? :S)
    Yes, the army trying to take the city would have to first take the bridge and right after that the gatehouse, like in history!
    For the screenies: no idea why they don't work, actually they did a few hours before! I'll replace them.

EDIT: Done!
    Last edited by Meister Röhrich; September 22, 2009 at 11:29 AM.

ty.

Can siege equipment cross bridges? (Battering rams, ladders, siege towers etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post
    Can siege equipment cross bridges? (Battering rams, ladders, siege towers etc...)
    Yeah, I've tested it; although it was quite unnerving to place the bridge over and over again until it worked finally

Quote Originally Posted by DerÄrzteFan View Post
    Yeah, I've tested it; although it was quite unnerving to place the bridge over and over again until it worked finally
    This is now my favourite map.

Wow. Impressive. That map is just...awesome. The swamp is brilliant, the irrigation is better still....and the bridge/gate is also a good idea.

Oh, and how in !@$& did you manage to find a place where you could put a river right next to a city with no cliffs? Did you place the city in the Nile Delta and do some retexturing or is there a better location?

jermagon's Avatar Domesticus

man it looks awesome +rep

George Galloway ''You don't give a damn !!!!!!!!''

Quote Originally Posted by retep219 View Post
    Wow. Impressive. That map is just...awesome. The swamp is brilliant, the irrigation is better still....and the bridge/gate is also a good idea.

Oh, and how in !@$& did you manage to find a place where you could put a river right next to a city with no cliffs? Did you place the city in the Nile Delta and do some retexturing or is there a better location?
    No, when I want to create a settlement, first I go into the area where it is located in reality, looking for the lowest, when I found a suitable with a river, not too high, I place the settlement just right above water level, so it won't look that crappy after "releading" the river, at last I try to smooth the river valley and the hills around the city to create a more natural look and that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by DerÄrzteFan View Post
    No, when I want to create a settlement, first I go into the area where it is located in reality, looking for the lowest, when I found a suitable with a river, not too high, I place the settlement just right above water level, so it won't look that crappy after "releading" the river, at last I try to smooth the river valley and the hills around the city to create a more natural look and that was it.
    I never have luck with the places that would be realistic (Reasons are obvious when you look through my list of cities....Ani, Antioch, and Damascus were all in reasonably mountainous areas or near mountains.)

Harith's Avatar Campidoctor

hey guys, you might wanna have a look at this (go to archaeology):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineveh#Archaeology

AWESOME ! All of your work is brilliant mate ! + rep

Great job! I love it

iRaQi's Avatar Tiro

wow good job btw Mosul is my city

‎" قال يسوع إغفر لهم يا أبي،
    لأنهم لا يعرفون ما يعملون. " (لوقا

Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."