Thread: A few quirks (maybe?)

Default A few quirks (maybe?)

Okay, so I just downloaded APE:TI and I'm not sure if the quirks I'm talking about are purposeful gameplay changes or just annoying bugs that I'll have to fix. Here are my problems:

- I'm getting about $1000 a turn in income starting out as Britain
    - In battle, my cannons' first shots are basically straight into the ground. The shots break the cannons on the first volley. Occasionally the cannons will fire far enough to destroy a few units in my back ranks. I have yet to get an enemy kill with a cannon.
    - Units of line infantry kill each other pretty slowly. While range is increased, it seems like a 1 on 1 line unit shootout kills 10 out of 120 units every 30 seconds or so on each side. Reload times seem to be increased.
    - Everything costs 2-4 times as much money, but my income is cut by 80%

Any one of these problems would be pretty annoying. Together they make the game unplayable. Any suggestions as to what I could change? Possibly a different mod I could try?

Thanks in advance

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Default Re: A few quirks (maybe?)

Hey, some of this sounds like some bugs and some of it sounds like portions of the mod you may not be used to yet;

1. If you are feeling the money crunch early you should be aware that your schools have an upkeep cost associated with them now; click on the school and look at the advisor window to see how much the school will deduct from your treasury at the start of the turn.

2. Sounds like you have hills or something in the way -- a placement issue, make sure you perch them if possible and even gentle hills might cause issues if close enough. Most will attest to the much-improved lethality of artillery in APE: TI.

3. Out of a 120-man front (where I do most of my quick battle testing) there should be 40 guns per rank. With the average accuracy falling between 35 and 45 points and the half-hit range of muskets being 50 meters, you'll see an average hit percentage of about 20-25% -- or about 8 - 10 men at maximum range. This will increase dramatically at 50 meters and less (but you have to be UNDER than range so if you move your line up do so until it looks like you are more than half your range, beware enemy fire while you approach.)

4. Yes, at first this will be fairly common. Make sure you adjust your ministers, increase your tax sliders, raid enemy lines, and build trade agreements. The technologies and buildings will help balance out your pricing issues soon enough!

Hope that helps, this mod does not play the same as Empire and one of the hardest parts of the mod is relearning how to play!

Let us know if you have any other questions!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

Excellent reply l33t...

I can attest to the improved artillery.... They are my baby now and I can rack up a kill count you wouldnt believe with them.... Must be some sort of issue in regards to placement etc... One tip, take off fire at will and manually target your artillery between 5 to 10 meters infront of the enemy unit your trying to hit.... Makes a huge difference and I mean HUGE.

Give that a go as well as what l33t says and report back to us.... Like he said the main problem people find with APETI is that it plays totally different to Vanilla, you have to relearn the game the APETI way...

But when you do..... just wow.. Its sooooooo much better that I dont think Ill ever play vanilla again.
    Last edited by Stildawn; September 21, 2009 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stildawn View Post
    Excellent reply l33t...

I can attest to the improved artillery.... They are my baby now and I can rack up a kill count you wouldnt believe with them.... Must be some sort of issue in regards to placement etc... One tip, take off fire at will and manually target your artillery between 5 to 10 meters infront of the enemy unit your trying to hit.... Makes a huge difference and I mean HUGE.

Give that a go as well as what l33t says and report back to us.... Like he said the main problem people find with APETI is that it plays totally different to Vanilla, you have to relearn the game the APETI way...

But when you do..... just wow.. Its sooooooo much better that I dont think Ill ever play vanilla again.
    Ditto!

Artillery has seen a huge improvement. Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe the artillery's firing arc is now higher than it used to be in Vanilla, so shooting your own men in the back is a much less common occurrence in APE:TI!

artillery is at least useful now, due to APE:TI.

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll give it another try today.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Can't stress this enough: Make sure you have good ministers. With Britain you have serious public order problems due to unhappiness from your starting ministers.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Holding immediate elections is your friend when starting out as Brittain.

LdN's Avatar Foederatus

I have a few issues as well, it's the 2nd turn of my Saxony campaign, I wish to invade Hannover to expand, but I cannot declare war. It brings up the screen where I can call in my allies to help, but when I press the checkmark nothing happens... From there I can click on any of the other diplomacy options. please help

Quote Originally Posted by LdN View Post
    I have a few issues as well, it's the 2nd turn of my Saxony campaign, I wish to invade Hannover to expand, but I cannot declare war. It brings up the screen where I can call in my allies to help, but when I press the checkmark nothing happens... From there I can click on any of the other diplomacy options. please help
    Can protectorates declare war in 1.4? Maybe CA disabled this?

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Can protectorates declare war in 1.4? Maybe CA disabled this?
    This DOES seem to be the case -- Courland and Saxony cannot decalre war, even if they do not call their ally.

All other minors tested work correctly.

I am assuming this is one of the "fixes" from CA to curb the hyper-aggressive AI.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; October 02, 2009 at 06:01 PM.

LdN's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by l33tl4m3r View Post
    This DOES seem to be the case -- Courland and Saxony cannot decalre war, even if they do not call their ally.

All other minors tested work correctly.

I am ssuming this is one of the "fixes" from CA to curb the hyper-aggressive AI.

So if I were to play any minor (other than courland/saxony) I'd be able to play properly? Here's hoping... I'll only be able to test in while, I've got to head to work

Quote Originally Posted by LdN View Post
    So if I were to play any minor (other than courland/saxony) I'd be able to play properly? Here's hoping... I'll only be able to test in while, I've got to head to work
    Yes, any nation that does not start as a protectorate seems to be fine.

Also, in my testing you cannot declare war on ANY nation but your protector! I had to use military movement to bring up the window once, then use the diplomacy button the second time but was able to declare war on Poland.

And no one else.

We'll see what we can find out -- I am going to try the adjusted AI startpos from Matte and see if that makes a difference at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by l33tl4m3r View Post
    Yes, any nation that does not start as a protectorate seems to be fine.

Also, in my testing you cannot declare war on ANY nation but your protector! I had to use military movement to bring up the window once, then use the diplomacy button the second time but was able to declare war on Poland.

And no one else.

We'll see what we can find out -- I am going to try the adjusted AI startpos from Matte and see if that makes a difference at some point.
    Well this actually make sense. Protectorates should not have their own foreign policy.

Also, in my testing you cannot declare war on ANY nation but your protector!
    Yeah, some of us have been asking for this for a long time. Looks like CA listened

The side effect is if you spam protectorates, the campaign will become too peaceful and boring. But at least you can just cancel the agreement now, instead of having to declare war to break it off like before(another prayer answered btw). It's a little wierd but it works: you have to choose cancel alliance, which will turn the protectorate into an ally. No penalties whatsoever.

You can go further and cancel the alliance too. In this case there wil only be a penalty when you and your protectorate/ally share an enemy, in which case you'll be backing out on your friend.
    Last edited by aeoleron9; October 03, 2009 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aeoleron9 View Post
    Yeah, some of us have been asking for this for a long time. Looks like CA listened

The side effect is if you spam protectorates, the campaign will become too peaceful and boring. But at least you can just cancel the agreement now, instead of having to declare war to break it off like before(another prayer answered btw). It's a little wierd but it works: you have to choose cancel alliance, which will turn the protectorate into an ally. No penalties whatsoever.

You can go further and cancel the alliance too. In this case there wil only be a penalty when you and your protectorate/ally share an enemy, in which case you'll be backing out on your friend.
    Awesome bit of info there, thanks for posting that! +rep