Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Did The Japanese Hate The Chinese?

Default Why Did The Japanese Hate The Chinese?

Japan and China were historically deeply related culturally. So why did the Japanese suddenly see the Chinese as subhumans of some sorts in the 1900s?

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Default Re: Why Did The Japanese Hate The Chinese?

What gives you the impression that they're deeply related and that everything was peaceful between them until 1900s?
    The Armenian Issue

regional rivalry mainly, Japan is a country of small islands but with very ambitious people. They want to expand. Naturally China and Korea were targets cuz they are nearby with abundance of land and resources. This expansionist idea and the wars came along with it pretty much dominated recent history between china, korea and Japan. It's not that they hate each other for no reason. It comes down to fighting for what humans have all been fighting for, land and resources.
    Have a question about China? Get your answer here.

A better question would be, why did the Chinese and Koreans hate the Japanese?

Solid Snake's Avatar Vicarius

Because the Japanese tried to invade them senselessly through the ages no?? lol
    Do check my AAR "The Proud Blood of Germania"
    Formerly known as JerichoOnlyFan.
    And my other AAR: "The Black Serpent"

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

Because they were just as racist as the Nazis, and are still far more racist than most other nations.

Pretty much the same way nazi see slav,black ,jews as subhuman. Btw its the government not the people.

Quote Originally Posted by boofhead View Post
    Because they were just as racist as the Nazis, and are still far more racist than most other nations.
    Racism was popular in the 1930's and 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyrome View Post
    Pretty much the same way nazi see slav,black ,jews as subhuman. Btw its the government not the people.
    Correction. It's the military not the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukada1 View Post
    Racism was popular in the 1930's and 40's.
    Yeah. Something to thank Mr.Darwin for.

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

If that's a reference to Social Darwinism.

Darwin didn't invent it, and the framework for it was there a fair time before Darwin.

And let's not pretend slavery which is a lot older than Darwin, was equal-opportunity...

People kept mistaking one for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Pious Agnost View Post
    If that's a reference to Social Darwinism.

Darwin didn't invent it, and the framework for it was there a fair time before Darwin.
    Yeah. He inadvertently legitimized it as a political process.

It's the same result in the end. Nazis killing Jewish children. Japs killing Chinese kids. Allies killing ''the Jap monkeys'' etc etc etc

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Actually, they took the name from Darwinism. He had nothing to do with it, to quote him it was "absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another", and he's talking about completely different species there.

Racism has always existed, and without Darwin it would have found its way into politics (And had already).

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Na, Social Dawarnism is specified on social classes, what has it to do with racist??

The reason why Japanese dislike Chinese was largely came out during Second Sino-Japanese War; perhaps, the inflexible mind of Japanese could not understand why Nationalist Chinese did not collapse even after such heavy lost, and the brutality of war simply cause more anger on Japanese government (not civilian), mainly those who supported Army (Navy and Air Force were not that serious).

For Korean, I am not sure the reason except probably the continuing resistance movement really frustrated Japanese; but then, Koreans were generally treated far worse than other races within Imperial Japan even at beginning (strange enough Japanese actually treated Chinese in Taiwan not bad, although they did brutally crush several resistance of Taiwanese natives, but Chinese did the same thing too).
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

I mean why did the Japanese have to slaughter tons of Chinese civilians such as in Nanking? I mean couldnt they just beat the army, take the capital and absorb the country? So whats the point of the huge massacres? Were they some kind of psychological tactic or what?

Noone were more racist than Americans in the early 1900s though. Today I will accept that the Japanese are kind of xenophobic but they are not really racist in 'other peoples are subhumans' way.
    Last edited by jankren; September 21, 2009 at 08:53 PM.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by jankren View Post
    Today I will accept that the Japanese are kind of xenophobic but they are not really racist in 'other peoples are subhumans' way.
    Not all of them, obviously.

In 2005, a United Nations special rapporteur on racism and xenophobia expressed concerns about "deep and profound" racism in Japan and insufficient government recognition of the problem.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_Japan

I mean why did the Japanese have to slaughter tons of Chinese civilians such as in Nanking? I mean couldnt they just beat the army, take the capital and absorb the country? So whats the point of the huge massacres? Were they some kind of psychological tactic or what?
    frustration i think, trying to use massacres to terrorize the rest of china to surrender. They ve done worse in the north actually

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Alls_Policy

the three alls being: "Kill All", "Burn All" and "Loot All",against civilians in an attempt to stop the guerrilla fighters.
    Have a question about China? Get your answer here.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

It was undisiciplined act without the authority from High Command; in fact, Japan, even before that, was already under the control of younger commanders while order from Tokyo was ignored at best.

It might also have some terror campaign purpose; remember that, even British was planning to use terror bombing, aiming on civilians, to win WWII during the post-WWI (famous military strategist like Liddell Hart even tried to convince British government using gas on German cities by aero bombard during 1931~1932).
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by bushbush View Post
    frustration i think, trying to use massacres to terrorize the rest of china to surrender. They ve done worse in the north actually

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Alls_Policy

the three alls being: "Kill All", "Burn All" and "Loot All",against civilians in an attempt to stop the guerrilla fighters.
    They should know better that only idiots think that they can actually conquer the entire China. I mean I doubt Japan even had enough bullets to kill every single Chinese. So Im wondering what really was their goal and plan in the Conquest of China? It seems the Japs didnt really have any coherent plan for the entire war itself. They just sent their fanatical soldiers everywhere aimlessly. I think the Germans should have sent advisers to Japan as they did to Turkey in WWI.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    It was undisiciplined act without the authority from High Command; in fact, Japan, even before that, was already under the control of younger commanders while order from Tokyo was ignored at best.

It might also have some terror campaign purpose; remember that, even British was planning to use terror bombing, aiming on civilians, to win WWII during the post-WWI (famous military strategist like Liddell Hart even tried to convince British government using gas on German cities by aero bombard during 1931~1932).
    I suppose that's why they beheaded Australian female nurses and male prisoners, ate some dead Australians at Kokoda, worked many Australians to death, tortured them and executed them as though they were subhuman.

I suppose that's why they had that sickening medical unit that performed live vivisections on Chinese people.

Nothing to do with the authorities, right?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast