Thread: Damascus

Default Damascus

Damascus...the largest city of Syria. From an oasis in the desert, it has radiated its control over the area for hundreds of years.

I know there isn't much. I just couldn't think of a whole lot to put in the city...just the generic city model, river, and surrounding farmland/suburbs. The city just doesn't seem to have impressive geography. Suggestions for additions to Damascus are welcome.

Overview:

Generic Retep219 Citadel(TM) and the walled city of Damascus.

Opposite bank of the Barada River. I decided to put the opposite bank in because I don't think that the Barada is significant enough to make the campaign map.

View from the Barada outwards. You can see how the fertile silt gradually turns into less-fertile sand and then generic "Sahara" sand. The palm trees grow less frequent too.

Two notes:

1. I finally learned how to dump vegetation. Yay.

2. A big thanks to Spainish_Emperor and Sutman for the maps they contributed.

Senator

Default Re: Damascus

This looks very good - I certainly wouldn't describe it as generic.
    Tbh I can't find any other maps other than those that the others have already posted.

Battle test went perfectly. I was Egypt on the defence, France was attacking with one ram, one siege tower, one ladder, and two cavalry.

It all went off perfectly. The ram, tower, and ladder each approached the appropriate area and attacked it. There were no glitched animations, everything happened normally. After the gate fell, the cavalry and ram-bearing infantry stormed the gate house and got gunned down by rocked elephants. They charged the elephants, were reinforced by the two units that had attacked the walls, defeated the elephants, and attacked the square. They captured the square entirely because I had my infantry and general out by the Barada River, testing if there was any place from which a unit might somehow fall into the river due to bad pathfinding.

Meister Röhrich's Avatar Tiro

Damn good work dude! But maybe next time trying a river map in Mesopotamia or the Nile delta for I have experienced the terrain generally lower and more suitable to modify+rep

Hansa's Avatar Campidoctor

Very nice work, I have a suggestion though.

As far as I can remember both the Damascus Chronicle of Ibn Al-Qalanisi (not sure about the spelling) and William of Tyre mentions hard fighting in the orchards outside the walls of Damascus during the attempt to take the city on the Second Crusade. Perhaps at least one of the sides around the city could be green and lush with vegetation if thats possible to do?

Don't remember which side though, and when the crusaders moved their siege towards another side of the city walls they quickly ran out of supplies so there shouldn't be a green area encircling the entire city.
    GEIR HASUND!

By the way, though my avatar might indicate so, I am not a citizen of Germany, though my ancestry have a branch in this great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansa View Post
    Very nice work, I have a suggestion though.

As far as I can remember both the Damascus Chronicle of Ibn Al-Qalanisi (not sure about the spelling) and William of Tyre mentions hard fighting in the orchards outside the walls of Damascus during the attempt to take the city on the Second Crusade. Perhaps at least one of the sides around the city could be green and lush with vegetation if thats possible to do?

Don't remember which side though, and when the crusaders moved their siege towards another side of the city walls they quickly ran out of supplies so there shouldn't be a green area encircling the entire city.
    I'm afraid that it no longer matters. This project has failed; check the other threads. Sorry.