Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Black Eagle: A Prussian Military Mod for IS by General Cornwallis

Default Rise of the Black Eagle: A Prussian Military Mod for IS by General Cornwallis

I present Rise of the Black Eagle, a unit Addition mod for Prussia adding Line regiments, Guard Regiments, Hussars, and Grenadiers!

IR 29 Schultze:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

IR 31 Lestwitz

II Garde

III Garde

Frei Korps Infanterie

IR 23 Forcade

IR 24 Von Schwerin

IR 25 Kalckstein

Frei Korps Jaegers

Leibgarde

IR 18 Prinz von Preussen Grenadiers

IR 1 Winterfeldt Grenadiers

IR 23 Forcade Grenadiers

IR 24 Schwerin Grenadiers

IR 17 Manteuffel Infantry

1st Husaren

2nd Husaren

Field Jaeger Korps

Download: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2626
    Last edited by General Cornwallis; September 19, 2009 at 09:56 PM.

Gomer_Pyle's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Rise of the Black Eagle: A Prussian Military Mod for IS by General Cornwallis

Excellent work General.

We make war that we may live in peace.

-Aristotle-

Default Re: Rise of the Black Eagle: A Prussian Military Mod for IS by General Cornwallis

Hmmm. for some reason there are no "descriptions" in the recruitment panel. I see 8 or 9 different "grenadiers" but these all look the same (In the recruitment panel). Same with line infantry. Just the desription "Line Infantry". I have the mod right above IS in the mod manager
    In God we trust...everyone else gets searched.

He should also have a localisation file that you need to place into your data folder in order to see text.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

I didn't see that in the download. Just the main data file?

Like all other mods that have loc. files built in, they will need to be incorporated into the Unit Compatibility mod, I have sent a request to applelover. So until a new one is realised there won't be any names showing up, but when he does that there will be, so just give it a little time.

Ok...I don't know what that means but I'll just wait for the update. Thanks!

is this compatible with the new patch and with IS 2.1?

I tried it, it works for patch 1.5, great uniforms, except there is no descriptions for soldiers...

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Hi General,

This (along with the Colonial pack) is a great addition for IS which adds a good deal of variety and historical interest to the already diverse unit rosters. Great skins as well. Love IR 18 (must like pink ).

I have noticed, though, playing briefly as Prussia, that the new grenadier units don't really integrate well with regard to existing grenadiers in IS, IMHO.

Experimentally, I've made the following observations and edits and submit for your scrutiny:

- Stats for the five included grenadier regiments (which are the same for each) seem closest to regular grenadiers (IS has poorly trained, regulars and elites) so I've used the regular's stats as a base to try to normalize your units, yet still give them some distinction.

- Changed the base reload in the projectiles table to 18 (from 27) to match that of flintlock muskets in IS. Also changed the reload in unit_stats_land from 38 to 70. IS' values are 55, 65 and 75 respectively for the three types of grenadiers. I chose this value to reflect their status as superior regulars (but not quite elite).

- Left the shooting accuracy value at 45 which falls nicely between 40 and 50 , the values for regulars and elites.

- With a similar rationale applied to melee, I changed these values to 13 9 14 (from 12 8 12) for melee, charge and defense (IS values are poor = 8 8 10, reg = 12 8 12 and elite = 14 10 16).

- Left morale at 9, same as regulars (elites are 10). Nine is pretty high anyway.

- Made these units only recruitable from Military Academy onward. Previously they were available with barracks, which was before regualr grenadiers. Also, only in Prussia proper. Might make this even more limited.

- Imposed a one unit cap for each regiment to keep them unique and not unbalance IS roster changes beyond 5 slightly better grenadier regiments.

- Alternatively considered nerfing them to regular stats and starting them with more experience and possibly the inspiring or rallying ability.

Perhaps I've forgotten or misinterpreted something, but that's what I'm seeing thus far playing with this pack. Anyway, I hope you find this useful or agreeable (I'd be happy to upload the edited files). Also, please feel free to tell me to go find a bridge Thanks for the continuing effort with your projects.

LangerKerl's Avatar Laetus

I downloaded and installed the mod with mod manager, and none of the battle standards have changed. I still see the vanilla battle flags for individual units.

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

Quote Originally Posted by LangerKerl View Post
    I downloaded and installed the mod with mod manager, and none of the battle standards have changed. I still see the vanilla battle flags for individual units.
    The new battle flags aren't a part of this mod. If you want those, you're going to have to use Spanky's Realistic Flag Set v1.2, which introduces a whole host of new battle and campaign flags.

Oh, and to go on-topic as well; as usual these units look absolutely amazing! Though I have to admit the pink is a bit unsettling. It's historically accurate, I know, but for some reason it just looks odd.. And no, I'm not a homophobe!

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    Hi General,

This (along with the Colonial pack) is a great addition for IS which adds a good deal of variety and historical interest to the already diverse unit rosters. Great skins as well. Love IR 18 (must like pink ).

I have noticed, though, playing briefly as Prussia, that the new grenadier units don't really integrate well with regard to existing grenadiers in IS, IMHO.

Experimentally, I've made the following observations and edits and submit for your scrutiny:

- Stats for the five included grenadier regiments (which are the same for each) seem closest to regular grenadiers (IS has poorly trained, regulars and elites) so I've used the regular's stats as a base to try to normalize your units, yet still give them some distinction.

- Changed the base reload in the projectiles table to 18 (from 27) to match that of flintlock muskets in IS. Also changed the reload in unit_stats_land from 38 to 70. IS' values are 55, 65 and 75 respectively for the three types of grenadiers. I chose this value to reflect their status as superior regulars (but not quite elite).

- Left the shooting accuracy value at 45 which falls nicely between 40 and 50 , the values for regulars and elites.

- With a similar rationale applied to melee, I changed these values to 13 9 14 (from 12 8 12) for melee, charge and defense (IS values are poor = 8 8 10, reg = 12 8 12 and elite = 14 10 16).

- Left morale at 9, same as regulars (elites are 10). Nine is pretty high anyway.

- Made these units only recruitable from Military Academy onward. Previously they were available with barracks, which was before regualr grenadiers. Also, only in Prussia proper. Might make this even more limited.

- Imposed a one unit cap for each regiment to keep them unique and not unbalance IS roster changes beyond 5 slightly better grenadier regiments.

- Alternatively considered nerfing them to regular stats and starting them with more experience and possibly the inspiring or rallying ability.

Perhaps I've forgotten or misinterpreted something, but that's what I'm seeing thus far playing with this pack. Anyway, I hope you find this useful or agreeable (I'd be happy to upload the edited files). Also, please feel free to tell me to go find a bridge Thanks for the continuing effort with your projects.
    I want one of those!

Hello all,

I must admit since the newer releases of IS I have not updated the unit stats for RotBE, and I thank you Kurisu for updating them. Originally I had had them to the 'then' IS stats. Kurisu feel free to upload the file, and I will set the link as the official download.

Thanks,
    Cornwallis

Surely . At the moment I'm playing through the new (non beta) 2.1 for the first time so I'll need to go over things again. Also, had a corruption issue with your pack in DBEditor.

What do you think as far as the stat buffs go? Would it be better to just give them a boost in xp level? My aim is to not unbalance the IS roster, yet give the units some reason to recruit them other than great uniforms. I haven't thought much about cost either.

-edit: It might be nice to give them little boosts commensurate with their historical status. IR 18, for example, always accompanied King Frederick and was commanded by his brother and later his nephew. If you have links to any of your historical sources for the units in your pack, that would give me a great head start in this direction.
    Last edited by Kurisu Paifuaa; October 15, 2009 at 12:50 AM.

Maybe you could increase the recruitment cost by the same percentage as the stat increases. E.g. melee stats of 13+9+14 = 36, regular infantry has 12+8+12 = 32... 12% increase?

Giving them boosts according to their historical status sounds great btw.

I'm currently reading Frederick the Great's Army - Infantry (Osprey) to try to get some idea of where these various regiments/companies that General Cornwallis has chosen were formed regionally and will try to work that in as best as possible (recruitment area). It's a lot of information to digest (regiments kept changing names, composition etc) but I'll try to post something soon.

I'm thinking stat buffs (direct or via experience) are a bad idea though,now that I've been playing IS 2.1 a bit. The BAI doesn't really need any more help getting it's ass handed to it (particularly by the Prussian infantry ) and the IS team continues working hard to keep the numbers balanced. It may be more fun to just 'role play' the units and use them judiciously to bring them up the ranks that way.

So I'll likely just normalize everything to IS base stats and go with single unit cap and regional recruitment limitation to give the units distinction with maybe 'inspire' and/or 'rally' for the notables (led by royals, etc).

Sensible?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    I'm currently reading Frederick the Great's Army - Infantry (Osprey) to try to get some idea of where these various regiments/companies that General Cornwallis has chosen were formed regionally and will try to work that in as best as possible (recruitment area). It's a lot of information to digest (regiments kept changing names, composition etc) but I'll try to post something soon.

I'm thinking stat buffs (direct or via experience) are a bad idea though,now that I've been playing IS 2.1 a bit. The BAI doesn't really need any more help getting it's ass handed to it (particularly by the Prussian infantry ) and the IS team continues working hard to keep the numbers balanced. It may be more fun to just 'role play' the units and use them judiciously to bring them up the ranks that way.

So I'll likely just normalize everything to IS base stats and go with single unit cap and regional recruitment limitation to give the units distinction with maybe 'inspire' and/or 'rally' for the notables (led by royals, etc).

Sensible?

What you could do is make one with IS stats and one with more historical stats.
    You dont have to go by what they did in the Silesian wars or the seven years war, since that hassent happend yet when the game starts.
    To make things easier if you know where they were recruited, you could make the stats after what Frederick rated his provinces by:

Frederick rated his provinces in the following descending order of merit, according to the quality of the recruits they produced:

Pomerania and Brandenburg.
    Magdeburg and halberstadt.
    Lower Silesia (Lutheran).
    Prussia Westphalia.
    Upper Silesia (Catholic) and East Prussia (With its treacherous nobility).
    The Prussian Rhineland.
    Berlin.

At the top of the scale the Baltic plains bred the Pomeranians - direct, reliable, brave and uncomplicated folk who made the best infantry in the world. With troops like these, said Frederick, he would rout the Devil from Hell.

It's just a suggestion, and i hope it's not to much to ask .

Thanks for the info Ares1000. I need to match these units to an IS counterpart for proper balancing first, as well as determine their appropriate recruitment prerequisites and regions. I'll post that when complete and then maybe we can have at "who's better than whom"

Great, take your time mate, and if you are lacking in info on any of the regiments i can probably provide it, got 2 books of every regiment of Frederick the great cavalry and infantry, theres 1 page of history per regiment so should be able to dig up some stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast