View Poll Results: Should capitals have custom maps in NTW?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes capitals should have custom maps

201 97.57%
  • No capitals should not have custom maps

5 2.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should capitals have custom maps in NTW?

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Default Should capitals have custom maps in NTW?

This is a poll just to see what your guys thoughts are on having custom maps for the capitals for the major factions for the grand campaign. To be honest I have about had it with fighting the same fort siege battle over and over in ETW so I auto resolve all of them now. We know CA is capable of doing this since they made several custom maps for the RTI campaign, since NTW is the next step up why can't they do this for the capitals of the major factions on the grand campaign map?

I know this is from Imperial Glory, but this is a much better approach then what CA did in ETW.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Kinjo; September 19, 2009 at 10:59 AM.

Default Re: Should capitals have custom maps in NTW?

That would be really cool + rep for you!

My only major complaint with Empire Total War was the lack of Capitals, cities and large and small towns. I would love to see custom Capitals, and whole cities as in RTW and M2TW. Also, I would like the View Settlement on the Battlemap feature to see all one has built between battles and conquest as building is a huge part of the game.

Indefinitely Banned

Yes!
    I hate in ETW when i play as Ottomans and besiege Vienna and what i see? Just a fort!! There are no big mountains from both sides!! No strategic point!! You can even walk past it!! Then why Ottomans didn't do it? Because they couldn't, they needed to take it to go further in Germany!!

That would be cool. I'd like to really feel as though I'm fighting for the center of my nation.
    A HUGE fan of the Stainless Steel mod for m2 kingdoms. Thank you to all the modders!

Libertus

i loved IG and the idea is great too. if fighting in the city itself isn't possible for technical and gameplay reasons, fighting in palaces like this is a great alternative, i dont think anyone can argue with it
    warning, this is a man with the IQ of an algae, don't pay attention to his posts

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Imagine those desperate groups of soldiers turning every single house into a fortress firing from the windows as the numberless onslaught of the enemy soldiers descends upon them as they're slowly pushed back house by house and through the winding streets of the city and finally making a last stand around the main government buildings with blockades in front of them, some men hiding behind the pillars at the front of the buildings, sharpshooters on the higher levels as the pocket of resistance is reduced slowly and slowly 'till the point that a handful of survivors no longer see the point of fighting on and surrender.

Fine, yes that's fantasy but being able to fight in cities would convince me to get ETW and NTW because otherwise i'd miss the whole aspect of it since i'm so used to RTW and M2TW.

This is only as long as the main game does not suffer
    For King and Country
    Every one I give you
    King George his most Britanic Majesty

The fighting 95th, First in the field and the last out of the Fray

Why don't they have a Prussian Flag instead of German

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Licinius View Post
    This is only as long as the main game does not suffer
    i don't think it needs an awful amount of time besides the extra load is on the people doing the modeling, since tw graphics and models have never disappointed me and it was always AI and bugs that did i dont think it would cause much trouble
    warning, this is a man with the IQ of an algae, don't pay attention to his posts

boche's Avatar Ordinarius
    mi querida España, Islas canarias/ My beloved Spain, canary islands

capitals should definatelly have custom maps, it really adds to the fun and atmosphere phisically capture the center of the city, and see that goverment building fall into your hands... epic

Orko's Avatar Praeses

They should, but IG is a bad example. The battles were even more repititive, with every province having only one map. It was even more repititive than ETW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Who voted No???????????
    It's a fantastic idea IMO...
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

I hope Ca look at this pool !!

Patriotism... is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.

MehemtAli_Pasha's Avatar Campidoctor

it's an excellent idea. +rep

they could throw in some famous buildings for cities like London, Paris, Cairo, Vienna, Moscow..etc. instead of including a thousand miles city, the battle map would just feature a famous site of the city were the 2 armies collide. pathfinding will also be easier if it was done that way.

i am sure it would a lot to game. Paris for example could feature the royal palace, where the 2 armies will fight for, where another city could feature a famous fort, another would have an ancient monument like the Pyramids. there's a lot of ideas that can be put in this.

Edit: that also wouldn't make battles repetitive. how often do you fight 2 battles for the same capital? no a lot. i think 10 cities will be sufficient.
    Last edited by MehemtAli_Pasha; September 20, 2009 at 04:56 PM.
    "Egyptians; to the young rebels, and to every one who was killed, bloodied or contributed in the simplest way, what you did has defied any description. you have the world on it's knees gazing at your bravery and determination. you have opened up a new chapter in Egyptian history, one that will be determined by people's love for this country" - an honorable revolutionary,

the battle map would just feature a famous site of the city were the 2 armies collide. pathfinding will also be easier if it was done that way.
    Weren't these normally inside the city? For example, even though it's out of the ETW timeframe The Colossus at Rhodes and The Great Lighthouse at Alexandria were integrated into the city but in RTW they were like a mile away from the respective towns. If urban conflict was included in ETW would the whole map be city (to represent close street fighting) or would there be the huge swathes of land outside which featured in the TW games prior to this?

MehemtAli_Pasha's Avatar Campidoctor

i was thinking palaces usually had a pretty big court yard like the Tuileries Palace.

they could just include the court yard in front of the palace as the battle map. not sure though if the court yards were big enough for a playable battle map(you know, the maneuvers). but i am sure they could work something out.

Edit: and here is another cool painting of the palace with Napoleon and the grande army..

..fancy
    Last edited by MehemtAli_Pasha; September 20, 2009 at 05:26 PM.
    "Egyptians; to the young rebels, and to every one who was killed, bloodied or contributed in the simplest way, what you did has defied any description. you have the world on it's knees gazing at your bravery and determination. you have opened up a new chapter in Egyptian history, one that will be determined by people's love for this country" - an honorable revolutionary,

Quote Originally Posted by MehemtAli_Pasha View Post
    i was thinking palaces usually had a pretty big court yard like the Tuileries Palace.

they could just include the court yard in front of the palace as the battle map. not sure though if the court yards were big enough for a playable battle map(you know, the maneuvers). but i am sure they could work something out.
    If the old RTW/M2TW pathfinding is used in M2TW then there's no chance. In those games you couldn't navigate your troops through the corridors and alleys without the unit scattering into them by accident. Of course if our fantasies are fulfilled by CA then they would have created a legendary urban combat system.

i remember a pretty big thread about this way before empire was released.

probably not gonna happen.
    Always trying harder to help you make an informed decision.

Elyrioth's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOdin View Post
    Who voted No???????????
    It's a fantastic idea IMO...
    I didn't read the question right, leave me alone
    Can I get a revote? This is embarrassing!
    Na Géanna Fiáine

as long as you don't mean the IG approach of giving every region only one battlefield I agree
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast