Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Left Flag

3 27.27%
  • Right Flag

8 72.73%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: EMPIRE TOTAL FLAGS V2.6 DISCUSSION THREAD

Default Re: EMPIRE TOTAL FLAGS V1.9: The Flag Mod (27 Oct 09)

Very nice, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Does not work on Windows 7, real bummer!
    I took off all other mods that change flags, but when I start up ETW nothing changes. . . I am really frustrated with W7 at the moment, but it is so awesome at everything else, that I will not go back to XP.
    Last edited by Emperor Ross; October 27, 2009 at 07:48 PM.

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ross View Post
    Eh? I have Windows 7 and I have had no problems. Can you expand on this? Are you using modmanager? If so, are you placing this at the top of the list?

Their Law's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I took off all other mods that change flags, but when I start up ETW nothing changes. . . I am really frustrated with W7 at the moment, but it is so awesome at everything else, that I will not go back to XP.

I'm using Win7 and it's working for me.... so i'd check the load order of it AND that it actually extracted to the right directory.
    "You have a decent ear for notes
    but you can't yet appreciate harmony."

Laetus

Thanks JFC for compiling the flags.
    And why the Poland&Lithuani flag is different for main and land? Land flag looks better.

Vary vary nice job love it

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Is it save-game friendly i.e. will I still be able to load my pre-download savegames without them crashing?
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Skippan
    Thanks JFC for compiling the flags.
    And why the Poland&Lithuani flag is different for main and land? Land flag looks better.
    Because it's a Vanilla flag. (just shows you how better the mod flags are!)

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Is it save-game friendly i.e. will I still be able to load my pre-download savegames without them crashing?
    Yes... this mod is save game compatible.
    Last edited by JFC; October 28, 2009 at 01:39 PM.

Well, I do use the latest version of mod manager, and I tried putting ETF at number one and that did not work.
    If anyone possibly knows the problem, please tell me because this mod looks great!
    Last edited by Emperor Ross; October 28, 2009 at 07:08 PM.

The British did have a republican flag in the 19th century, a horizontal tricolor of red, white and green. This might be good to use - it is as different from the union flag as the French flag is from their royal flag.

The British also used all three ensigns (red, white and blue) prior to the 1860s on navy ships. The red cross was not always added to the white ensign although it was a popular addition.

The flag of Québec is 20th century, a green, white and red horizontal tricolor dates from the early/mid 19th century, the French tricolor was also used (but this is all when Québec was already under British/Canadian rule).

The current Greek design was used at sea from the early 19th century, but not a national flag until the 1970s. In the 18th century, a blue cross on a white background was used in some uprisings, the colours were inversed in the early 19th century. I'd suggest the current design as the republican flag.

The Betsy Ross flag was probably never used in the USA during the revolutionary war. Instead they arranged the stars in a similar fashion to the star spangled banner of 15 stars. The circle is a relatively modern concoction.

The early 19th century saw a new flag for Hannover, yellow and white with the arms in the centre, yet I think these were both monarchist flags. Another flag for Hannover had the Union Jack in the canton (top corner). Could one of these be the republican flag, or is that stretching it a bit?

I think the land flag you have for the Mamlukes stopped being used in the 16th century when their rule in Egypt stopped, but it may have continued in a less official capacity...

The blue was not added to the Norwegian flag until the 1820s/30s (republican option?), in the early 18th century, Norwegians still used a red flag with a lion holding an axe in the centre. I like the one used here though.

St Patrick's cross for an alternate Ireland?

Bavaria also used/still use a horizontal bicolor of white and blue alongside the one shown here.

Is there an easy way to pick and chose which flags you want to change?

Anyway, grand job!

ChrisJoker's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: REGALIA OF SPANKY V1.7: The Flag Mod (23 Oct 09)

Quote Originally Posted by JFC View Post
    Chris Joker:

My issue with the whole safavid thing is that of literal confusion. There are a number of flags that are clearly valid, however, the faction on ETW is 'Persia'. i know that this is infact Iran etc, etc... but again I am trying to strike a balance as well as having a quality flag.
    Even the flag you stated that was wrong... (zand dynasty?) that was in one of the earlier releases, it is clearly a valid flag for the time era of ETW. I find it confusing with the copious amount of variations/flags that you post, which flag you really feel is right. If you are genuinely concerned about the flags of the Persion faction, show me the following:

ONE proposed faction flag
    ONE proposed land army flag
    ONE proposed naval ensign.
    ok thanks these are my proposals

Flag of Iran(Safavid dynasty) 1576-1736,
    used by Ismail II and his successors

Battle flag

Alternative Flag(Afsharid dynasty, overthrew Safavids) 1736-1747

2 proposed battle flags

or this one carrying a triangular type of the Personal Royal flag of Nadir Shah

Royal Flag

Mexican Constitutional Monarchy flag

Battle flag

Alternative Mexican Republican flag

Battle flag the same as above
    or use this ones

"An army of sheep led by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep".(Arab proverb)

None of theese flags wave during faction selection screen and ending turns, processing them, like original flags of ETW. Any Ideas?

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Chrisjoker, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a think about the safavids.
    However, there is no alternative for Mexico and the flag you are suggesting was only used for 2 years (1821-1823), whereas the one I have used was introduced just after your flag suggestion, but was used for a hell of a lot longer ie 1823 to 1868.
    source: http://flagspot.net/flags/mx_his.html (see the table at the end)

Quote Originally Posted by liambane View Post
    None of theese flags wave during faction selection screen and ending turns, processing them, like original flags of ETW. Any Ideas?
    They don't wave, as I haven't animated them to do so. Sorry.
    Last edited by JFC; October 29, 2009 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JFC View Post
    Chrisjoker, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a think about the safavids.
    However, there is no alternative for Mexico and the flag you are suggesting was only used for 2 years (1821-1823), whereas the one I have used was introduced just after your flag suggestion, but was used for a hell of a lot longer ie 1823 to 1868.
    source: http://flagspot.net/flags/mx_his.html (see the table at the end)

They don't wave, as I haven't animated them to do so. Sorry.
    Here are some more suggestions

Flag of the Mamelukes used up until 1805

National Flag of the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth

Battlel Flag of the Italian States(Papal States)

Papal Naval Flag

Flag of Gran Colombia

Flag of New France(Louisiana)

Battle Flag

French Empire Battle Flag

Wurttemberg flag and battle flag
    without the crowns

Flag of Hessen

United States Navy Flag

Naples and Sicily Naval And National Flag

Battle Flag

Flag of Spain Official flag from 1701 -1748

Flag of Portugal

Alternative Flag of Portugal

Alternative Flag of Spain

Ottoman Alternative Flag

Naval Flag

Land Battle Flag

Greek Flag Only flag from the 1700s(1770s-1880s)

Alternative Barbary Flag

Last edited by ChrisJoker; October 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM.
    "An army of sheep led by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep".(Arab proverb)

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Chris,

I'm getting the impression that you clearly haven't looked at any of the flags that area already available in ETF 1.9, as most of them have already been done... and are identical to what you have suggested.

THey US Flag Don't Tread On Me was used on only one ship I believe. . .

Great, thanks for the pack!

THey US Flag Don't Tread On Me was used on only one ship I believe. . .
    what are u talking about it was the first US navy jack, it was issued to the Continental Navy in the fall of 1775 by Commodore Esek Hopkins as the naval ensign used by the first US fleets in the American Revolution.

But after the Adaption of the Star and Stripes flag law of June 14, 1777 did the Jack change. But the Betty Ross flag wasn't necessarily the one used on ships since the law only stated that the Flag of the US should be one with a blue canton with 13 five pointed stars and 13 white and red stripes without naming in what order(meaning there were flags with 7 white stripes and 6 red stripes instead 7 red s. and 6 white s), so this was the same too with the Navy Jack so there were other US flag variants that followed the the US flag code.

Ok another proposed US Navy Jack

or this one seen in Trenton, Saratoga, and Yorktown maybe can be used as a battle flag

Last edited by ChrisJoker; October 31, 2009 at 09:57 PM.

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Default Re: EMPIRE TOTAL FLAGS V2.0: The Flag Mod (01 Nov 09)

2.0 now out.

1.9 had 236 downloads in 4 days!

Thanks everyone! Shows that this is going well and I must be doing something right!

Last edited by JFC; November 01, 2009 at 10:46 AM.

Default Re: EMPIRE TOTAL FLAGS V2.0: The Flag Mod (01 Nov 09)

Yes ya are doing an vary nice job. Keep it up Just love the flags