Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New City: Bagdad

Meister Röhrich's Avatar Tiro

Default New City: Bagdad

Bagdad - The glittering residence of the Caliph, center of Islamic Art and Science

Overview
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Suburbs

The Tigris and the mountains of Media

Many many Minarets

University and Hospital

Bedouin Camp on the opposite river side

Hope you like it

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Default Re: New City: Bagdad

Great job!

I could die..I could die..I could die...this is so incredibly awesome.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Thanks guys, I must say it's really fun to create metropols like Bagdad, especially because you don't have to do it two or three times for different levels! The only thing I'm a bit worried about is possible performance decreasing on older systems, I can't test that because my PC is relatively new and has no problems with that.

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

If I could give out more reputation points (I'm too liberal with them ), they would all go directly into this post. It's amazing to see a river in a besiege-able city! My computer is quite old (2003!), so if you'd like me to test the map for lag on the lowest settings and then medium and high settings, I would be happy to help. I do hope it works, for it would be dreadful not to be able to take battle to those heathens in the suburbs.

The only problem is that, when besieged, the enemy rarely leaves the walls, and when they besiege you, it is rather difficult to get your men out into the suburbs from behind the walls. If only it could work so that you could place your men just outside the walls to cover the neighborhoods! Either way, bravo; bravo!
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hospitaller View Post
    If I could give out more reputation points (I'm too liberal with them ), they would all go directly into this post. It's amazing to see a river in a besiege-able city! My computer is quite old (2003!), so if you'd like me to test the map for lag on the lowest settings and then medium and high settings, I would be happy to help. I do hope it works, for it would be dreadful not to be able to take battle to those heathens in the suburbs.

The only problem is that, when besieged, the enemy rarely leaves the walls, and when they besiege you, it is rather difficult to get your men out into the suburbs from behind the walls. If only it could work so that you could place your men just outside the walls to cover the neighborhoods! Either way, bravo; bravo!
    Thanks for all your support, it really drives me forward!
    Yeah it would be really good if you could try it out but unfortunately I haven't cracked yet how to play it as a siege battle, I suppose it depends on the descr_battle.txt for each of the map, when I got into it I'll pm you and we can get this started, maybe I'll give ita try tomorrow (but it's really nice weather in Germany at the moment, so who knows!)

EDIT: It is a lot more complicated than I thought, in my opinion we should first finish all huge cities, after that we can test them.
    Last edited by Meister Röhrich; September 19, 2009 at 01:17 AM.

Very nice. I like the way you did the river...very efficient. Especially the bridge...all my attempts at adding a bridge in front of Cairo's walls ended up with the walls floating. Another good idea was adding pathways between the buildings in front of the entrance.... And the interior design of the city is quite nice. Overall, the whole thing has a good effect.

On the other hand, I think you built up TOO close to the city. It looks superb, but there isn't enough room for siege towers or ladders...the enemy would have no option but a direct assault on the gates. You might need to delete the buildings closest to the city walls. Personally, with Cairo, I cleared a large space in front of the walls to ensure that there would be no blockup.

Quote Originally Posted by retep219 View Post
    On the other hand, I think you built up TOO close to the city. It looks superb, but there isn't enough room for siege towers or ladders...the enemy would have no option but a direct assault on the gates. You might need to delete the buildings closest to the city walls. Personally, with Cairo, I cleared a large space in front of the walls to ensure that there would be no blockup.
    Well that was in fact my intention; Bagdad was planned historical as a huge circle with at least one outer wall and one inner wall, now in the editor I could not represent this with a huge city model so I decided to use the suburbs as a bareer between the attacker and the inner area. In that time you had to fight your way also through the outer ring and after that besieging the inner within the city itself: tight roads and lots of houses standing in your way.

Quote Originally Posted by DerÄrzteFan View Post
    Well that was in fact my intention; Bagdad was planned historical as a huge circle with at least one outer wall and one inner wall, now in the editor I could not represent this with a huge city model so I decided to use the suburbs as a bareer between the attacker and the inner area. In that time you had to fight your way also through the outer ring and after that besieging the inner within the city itself: tight roads and lots of houses standing in your way.
    Good intentions, but you might run up into an AI that suicidally sits there in front of a tower and is torn to pieces as it fails to drag a siege tower up to the walls. So it's a brilliant idea if the AI is defending, but MIGHT fail if the AI is defending.

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Amazing.

THANK'S FOR THIS WORK
    but i wish that you color the city and but like this abbsed masjied's

Last edited by ALFAJI; September 19, 2009 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by retep219 View Post
    Good intentions, but you might run up into an AI that suicidally sits there in front of a tower and is torn to pieces as it fails to drag a siege tower up to the walls. So it's a brilliant idea if the AI is defending, but MIGHT fail if the AI is defending.
    Of course that has to be tested, but unfortunately I'm not a coder and have no idea really of this descr_battle.txt thing and so on to get a siege battle to work.

@ ALFAJI: sry but that is in no way possible because there is no building in the editor that would even come close to this.

lovely.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Wow. +rep
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Haedar's Avatar Miles

Great work, but you should keep in your mind that mesopotamia is plainland doesn't had any height as I saw the every day ( I live in the elluvial plain of Iraq in Baghdad exactly) and nearest mountain or hill is far away from the elluvial plain about 300 km. Also Baghdad was called as (Al Medina Al Mudaowra) means (the Round City) so if, only if possible make it round walls.

Haedar's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by ALFAJI View Post
    THANK'S FOR THIS WORK
    but i wish that you color the city and but like this abbsed masjied's

Hi friend Alfaji keep in your mind that al malwiiya is located in Samara, and a unique mosque it disign locate only in Samara'.

Quote Originally Posted by Haedar View Post
    Great work, but you should keep in your mind that mesopotamia is plainland doesn't had any height as I saw the every day ( I live in the elluvial plain of Iraq in Baghdad exactly) and nearest mountain or hill is far away from the elluvial plain about 300 km. Also Baghdad was called as (Al Medina Al Mudaowra) means (the Round City) so if, only if possible make it round walls.
    It's nearly impossible to find a location, where a river lies and which is not higher than 300m above sea level so small hills/mountains are not to avoid as we can't edit water by ourselfs, we simply have to lower the terrain until we come to sea level.
    For the name: It doesn't really matter how I named my city since the decision how it is called at the strat map has to be made by Dots team.

Haedar's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by DerÄrzteFan View Post
    It's nearly impossible to find a location, where a river lies and which is not higher than 300m above sea level so small hills/mountains are not to avoid as we can't edit water by ourselfs, we simply have to lower the terrain until we come to sea level.
    For the name: It doesn't really matter how I named my city since the decision how it is called at the strat map has to be made by Dots team.
    fine Baghdad todays lie on 59 m to the sea level, (please see a geographic map of iraq)
    For the name I didnt meant call it Al Medina Al mudowra the older and popular name was baghdad till this day but I meant it was a city with rounded walls.

Gotta love the Camp!

Alexandros I.'s Avatar Ordinarius

WOW!! +rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast