Thread: Missions?

Default Missions?

I remembered today that CA took something out of E:TW for the most part: Missions. For those who don't know in Rome total war and medieval 2 total war you would have entities, either the nobles or the papacy or the senate who would come up every once in a while and give you missions like, take this territory, or build this building, and for this you would get a reward, or penalty if you didn't do it. The mission structure still exists in the game, and can be seen in the first turn as france, britain or spain when you receive a mission telling you to grab a few territories in order to absorb your colonial empires.

I like changing the minsters around in my governments, but i started thinking of a system where your government provides missions. In a parlimentary system a government, stays in power as long as the people favor it, and often comes into power with a specific plan. If they don't fufill their plan often the government is voted out of office by the people and the opposition comes into power.

So i thought what if every time you had an election you got a mission? This mission would only last as long as the current government, by this i mean set of minsters, is in power, and if not fulfilled the government's popularity would take a massive hit. The reason people would be incentivised to do these missions is because if not your government would lose power, and you would lose all of the experienced ministers who have gotten better at their jobs in the eight years they've been in power.

Furthermore what if you had two different idealogies between the opposition and the majority? For example you could have a more liberal party in the majority focused on social development and freedom, which would grant you missions like 'research emancipation' or 'build a new trade port'. Then when they get voted out of power a more militaristic conservative government comes in with missions like 'build 5 units of line infantry' or 'take flanders'. The nice thing about the two parties is that if for example you like the militaristic missions, you can continue to get them by doing them. Doing the missions keeps the party in power, and with that party in power they will continue to give you the missions.

This type of thing could be implemented in a parlimentary or republican system to expand the governmental gameplay mechanics. As a monarch though noone can give you these missions because your government changes at your whim. Perhaps your allies can give you missions to help them out because a kings word was their bond at the time?

This is just an idea, and i don't know how it could be modded in or if it's even possible. Feedback?

Default Re: Cool Idea, modders comment?

Not a bad idea at all, don't do the missions and you risk a change of government, by and large you can ignore government type at present. As for Absolute Monarchs, they still had advisors who could give missions(advice really) , your King can ignore it sure, but still risks the displeasure of his people.

I think it's a nice idea as well. I found it a nice system to provide me with shorter term objectives and side missions while playing the previous games. Also I think it could be helpful to a new player (e.g. mission to get some trade fleets out early on helps with economy).

However I suspect it would be difficult to mod in, as it must surely rely on part of the AI to determine your missions. It may be something they left out specifically so they could focus on the awesome AI they have built *cough*lol*cough*. Imagine it based on the current AI, all your missions would be to declare war on your long term allies, build churches, destroy other people's churches and use gentlemen to steal tech from schools that are as far away from you as possible.

Moved to Wips, Ideas, and Proposals and renamed for clarification.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Default Re: Missions?

Well the first two major conflicts in the 18th century were missions.

Both were fought over succession to the throne of a European kingdom. The war of Spanish succession was over Phillip ( a bourbon) succeeding to the Spanish throne. The opposition wanted him to renounce his rights to the French throne, because they feared a joint or closely aligned double kingdom.

It was decided by gaining control of some minor kingdoms. Like seizing Strasbourg or the Spanish possessions in Italy.