Thread: i dont get the combat

Default i dont get the combat

no matter how many times i try the demos for EUIII or Rome the combat seems...to dependent on chance. I was Carthage waging war on the Romans. They attack and i win. After a little bit, they attack and win in a massive landslide which shocked me because they sucked earlier and i didnt see any reinforcements join in the bash. So what creates these massive spikes....is it the game just going "Heh watch how i can screw over the player"...i do have a strong aversion to playing games that dont involve me in the combat...especially after the days in Civ when spearmen could kill my tanks for no adequately explained reason. Also how do you join troops together? I am usually incredible dependant on the massive armies the game start me out with but any others afterwards are just masses of 1 unit armies roaming the map.

Watch some of me replays for RTW http://www.youtube.com/user/TeutonicJoe

Maximus_96's Avatar Senator

Default Re: i dont get the combat

some ways to determine how combat plays out is how good the units are that each side is using, if either army has a general (army with general will most likely win unless they have tiny amount of slodiers or the other army has a general) and moral plays a large part in combat, if your army has very little at the begining of the batlle it will likely lose. You can join troops together by either holding shift and cliking on the armies then using the merge button on the top, or pressing on the left mouse button and squaring where the armies are then pressing the merge button

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_96 View Post
    some ways to determine how combat plays out is how good the units are that each side is using, if either army has a general (army with general will most likely win unless they have tiny amount of slodiers or the other army has a general) and moral plays a large part in combat, if your army has very little at the begining of the batlle it will likely lose. You can join troops together by either holding shift and cliking on the armies then using the merge button on the top, or pressing on the left mouse button and squaring where the armies are then pressing the merge button
    whats weird is that i have fought what seemed to be very even battles but only to see -1 appear over my opponent while -125s appear over mine...its odd and since everyone seems to hate me (Rome version of the ETW greeting...) i find my poor Carthaginians on the defensive at all times....quite disheartening...

Ok is there anyway to just wipe out enemy armies....i shouldnt have to be chasing the same damn army over and over again because everytime he loses he just retreats to another one of my countries and this repeats over...and over....and over.....and over....and....oh look somehow more soldiers are gestating from the void behind my lines and he owns none of the nations....also the casualty count makes no sense...i won a battle and gave the enemy 25 casualties....how do you just lose 25 men in the battles of this time period...unless everyone uses nerf swords and the only people who die are the ones trampled in the nerf off...

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Joe View Post
    Ok is there anyway to just wipe out enemy armies....i shouldnt have to be chasing the same damn army over and over again because everytime he loses he just retreats to another one of my countries and this repeats over...and over....and over.....and over....and....oh look somehow more soldiers are gestating from the void behind my lines and he owns none of the nations....also the casualty count makes no sense...i won a battle and gave the enemy 25 casualties....how do you just lose 25 men in the battles of this time period...unless everyone uses nerf swords and the only people who die are the ones trampled in the nerf off...
    The only way to completely defeat an army is to either encircle it or to destroy it by wearing it down repeatedly over a long time, if the enemy looks like its gonna lose it will withdraw. Just like in real warfare.

Also EU:Rome is widely considerd the worste paradox game.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

meh....what can i say...i like the time period. Also i think Rome as better sprites than EUIII from what i have seen in both demos. I wish the retreat paths and the casualties made more sense though since these battles are ones over entire provinces.

okay how the hell do i get my troops to go across seas on boats. So far i have tried the M1TW method which is just stick a ship in the sea and see if the troops can go from the boat to the land mass, but that failed. Then i tried to see if i could move my troops onto the boats when they were docked but the bastards refuse to move....so...now what?

Maximus_96's Avatar Senator

you need transportation boats. they are probably cogs if this is the beginning of the game, and then you can only fit the amount of soldiers onto the amount of cogs you have in you navy. example- 10 cogs carries 1-10 groups of soldiers

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

If you bring up the fleet info window it says there somewhere how many troops it can carry, it isn't TW where you can ferry entire invasion forces with a single ship.

Oh yeah and your ships have to be out on the water to put men on them. Strange design choice.

well then as Epirius i am adequately ed....since the fleet the game arbitrarly gave me can only send 1-5 groups and Rome is usually speed raping everything with a army of 26!!! In the time it friggin takes me to organize a good army to send to syracruse, the romans are already there and raping the populace....this game is beyond fun...hell i cant even enjoy playing as my favorite hellenistic faction the seleucids because ptolemey is running around all giddy with his 30 man army while i try to get a army together....oh and the general conveniently becomes rebellious and splits my kingdom in two.....when am i supposed to have fun. Sure, ETW was a piece of bilesome , but i at least got somewhere when playing that game. In every damn campaign i have played some happened that i do get. "Achaia wants independece"...okay where is Achaia?....i see a Achaea? Typo???? WTF! Achaia just appeared out of nowhere and split my macedonian empire in two. This game isnt fun, and the tutorial barely explains much. i dont understand this game........so far i would TW over any EU game at the moment....

EDIT:....reasons why games should never leave the player up to chance....i have a 60 unit army with elephants, infantry, heavy infantry, cavalry, archers, etc lose to a 17 man unit with only infantry....this...is...the...worse...game...ever...made
    Last edited by Teutonic Joe; September 18, 2009 at 09:41 PM.

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Isn't EU:R all about how good your general is?
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Twin View Post
    Isn't EU:R all about how good your general is?
    then the game is intentionally throwing generals at me...its hard winning when they give you pathetic choices....and again....60 lost to 17....terrible terrible game

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

were the troops you lost to roman?
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Twin View Post
    were the troops you lost to roman?
    armenian...that can dish out -1206 dmg and recieve -34 dmg in my territory...

EDIT: i am playing Seleucids now....since Epirus (my favorite greek faction lead by my hero Phyyrus) is horribly castrated by relying on a terrible transport method...
    Last edited by Teutonic Joe; September 18, 2009 at 11:50 PM.

Well try goig Rome then if that will make things easier, I dont know about EU:R but in EU:III its wise to use a majority of cav because they seem to kill destroy armies with a lot less of the back and forth nonesense

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart View Post
    Well try goig Rome then if that will make things easier, I dont know about EU:R but in EU:III its wise to use a majority of cav because they seem to kill destroy armies with a lot less of the back and forth nonesense
    You need the horse resource for cavalry. Don't think many Latin/Greek factions start with horses in their territory. Well, with the exception of some Greco-Persian factions.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Haveing 10 times more troops instantly destroys the enemy army.

Well, the main remedy for me was jumping to the Syrian War as Seleucids cause i no longer need to mess with those dirty dirty armenians and their logic screwing ways...or the ptolemies....